Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Housing Question...need some input!!

1. Senior Member

Help Quick Housing Question...need some input!!

Advertisements
    Hi Ladies, I'm new here and my 'research' thusfar through this forum has been very helpful! I do however have a question regarding my situation and could use some input.

We are moving to San Diego, and have opted for housing. Now, I've been struggling with Lincoln Housing for a bit now (long story) and they've messed up our paperwork (bleh!)

Well we were hoping for Serra Mesa, but have been offered a house in Chesterton. (Single family type) If we decline, we've been given the option of going on the wait list for Serra Mesa with our original "control date" because they messed up. So I'm looking for opinions on these neighborhoods. DH wants space, he doesn't want to feel cramped where we live.

Anyone have pictures of any of the homes in Chesterton? Are these nice? Spacious?! Safe neighborhood?

If you had this option, what would you do? We have 2 LO's, 3 and 5 months.

Living family home seems so nice, but the advertised sq footage is smaller than what the townhouses are. 1200 sqft seems small. (We currently live in 1450 sqft.)

I love the idea of the yard in Chesterton, but the neighborhood amenities in Serra Mesa...wow that seems nice. And A/C...

Need some help, need some input...if you have pictures please share. If you have thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

THANKS!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

All I have to say is good luck not feeling cramped in San Diego..

Chesterton houses are supposed to be nice.... We lived out in Silver Strand II and were going to move over to the other side but we pcs'ed
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    All I have to say is good luck not feeling cramped in San Diego..
    : Yeah, I totally get that. We actually did live in San Diego before we moved up to WA, now we're moving back. But we didn't live in housing, didn't look into housing, so I'm clueless.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yeah the Chesterton ones are supposed to be nice.. not sure about the neighbor hood...

OH btw to MSOS Stop on over to the newbie section and post an intro bout yourself and read our stickies please.
  5. Senior Member
    Do they have a website with floor models and pictures? Our housing community does and that helped us a lot... I've not been there so I can't help you but I know more and more housing areas are putting up photos on websites.
  6. Senior Member

Froglove - Will do! And thanks for the welcome!

Bluebird - They have a floor plan, but nothing more. And this particular housign community's floor plan (Chesterton) doesn't include dimensions, so it's difficult to get an idea especially when they say the sq ft is "estimated" (guesstimated in my opinion) and differs from what they have on thier site.
  7. Senior Member
    ARe you looking for something with a yard? Chesterton are single family homes with a decent size yards. The surrounding neighborhood though, I have heard isn't the greatest though.

Serra Mesa is nice and it looks brand new but they really dont have yards- they have a nice playground though with sand, swings, etc. and a NEX too.

Have you thouhgt about Murphy Canyon? They have fenced in yards and I LOVE the area. Also have A/c and ours came with a washer/dryer. This is where we live now and I love it here-its close to everything, our 3 bedroom is 1365 sq ft I think. Its not bad.

When are you moving here? If you decline the offer, you might not get offered housing in the time that you need a house..
    Hope this helps a little.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jab79 View Post
    ARe you looking for something with a yard? Chesterton are single family homes with a decent size yards. The surrounding neighborhood though, I have heard isn't the greatest though..
    **While a yard would be really nice, it's not a make or break for us. I've heard/read similar about the Chesterton area and Linda Vista. One of the things I was trying to find out about.

"Serra Mesa is nice and it looks brand new but they really dont have yards- they have a nice playground though with sand, swings, etc. and a NEX too"

**Again a nice perk, the nice area. And having the playground(s) nearby is always nice, especially when there isn't really a yard. Like I said, the layouts here look nice and the neighborhood amenities do too!

"Have you thouhgt about Murphy Canyon? They have fenced in yards and I LOVE the area. Also have A/c and ours came with a washer/dryer. This is where we live now and I love it here-its close to everything, our 3 bedroom is 1365 sq ft I think. Its not bad"

**Honestly I hadn't but I'm definitely going to look into it. Any idea of the "actual" wait times for them?

"When are you moving here? If you decline the offer, you might not get offered housing in the time that you need a house"

**We actually move at the beginning of June. So I understand about the possibility of not having housing when we get there. However, whichever housing we go to, our waitlist placing is adjusted because the 'counselor' that had our application, was so not on the ball and didn't take care of ANYTHING. So it goes by our 'contract date' versus the day we actually go on the wait list.
  9. Senior Member
    we got lucky and got a house before we even left the unit in NC. We signed a prelease and then they held it for us when we got here. I have heard of many other people finding homes before they actually left their last place- just keep after them and stay persistent.

Murphy canyon is pretty big and there are always people moving in and out here- esp in the summer
  10. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I have only been to Murphy Canyon (to meet Jenn/jab79 LOL) and not the other housing areas, but I will say that Murphy Canyon seemed like a really pleasant community. The townhomes looked nice and they had fenced in yards, lots of playgrounds, kind of a mini NEX (bigger than a mini mart, but much smaller than a regular NEX) as well as a NEX gas station... if I had kids your age, I'd probably move there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately my daughter is in 1st grade, we just moved here in December, and I don't want her to have to switch schools AGAIN so we're staying put where we are at least for the time being. But if it weren't for that, I would absolutely be on the wait list for Murphy Canyon right now.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast