Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New here and going to San Diego

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New here and going to San Diego

Advertisements
    Hello!
    Im new here, and have no idea what Im doing!! My husband just got his orders today, we are off to MCAS Miramar in early July. I really want on base housing, but does anyone know what the waiting lists are like?
    We have a 10mo daughter and a dog. I have heard so many different things! Im so nervous about the move - I have lived in Central FL my whole life, and have absolutely no family on the West Coast. Ive never even been there! Im really excited, but really scared too.
  2. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    I used to live in Kissimmee, 10 years I lived there. There are a lot of people from San Diego on here, I'm sure you'll get the info you need.
  3. Senior Member

I also will be living in San Diego in about 2 weeks. My husband and I have military housing and it was definitely the best idea for us.

In SO cal the housing is done by Lincoln.

http://www.lincolnmilitary.com/Insta...lex-san-diego/

http://www.lincolnmilitary.com/Insta...iramar-(mcas)/

There are the lists of housing in San Diego.

They have an "Immediately Available" list.

Which is here...

http://www.lincolnmilitary.com/Insta...D_Hotsheet.pdf

Hope this helps you out a bit. Best bet is to call and talk to them.
    It only took us about a month to get housing.

We have a 2 bedroom apartment.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks so much! It eases my mind to just know that theres a such thing as "immediately available." I'll admit I was getting terrified by the google search I did, with all the random answers of peoples horror stories.. (You know; "We had to wait a whole year!!" etc lol) My husband is doing more investigating tomorrow if he gets time (hes still at MOS school more than a year after joining..) and if he doesnt do it before I do, I am definitely calling. I hate just hanging in the middle, waiting for things to happen.

and Kissimmee is a great place - I was in Lakeland! I loved being close to Tampa and Orlando. Im very glad to be going somewhere just as conveniently located and with just as nice weather!
  5. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    Quote Originally Posted by labellefille1111 View Post
    Thanks so much! It eases my mind to just know that theres a such thing as "immediately available." I'll admit I was getting terrified by the google search I did, with all the random answers of peoples horror stories.. (You know; "We had to wait a whole year!!" etc lol) My husband is doing more investigating tomorrow if he gets time (hes still at MOS school more than a year after joining..) and if he doesnt do it before I do, I am definitely calling. I hate just hanging in the middle, waiting for things to happen.

and Kissimmee is a great place - I was in Lakeland! I loved being close to Tampa and Orlando. Im very glad to be going somewhere just as conveniently located and with just as nice weather!
    I have been to Lakeland many times for concerts before Orlando got the Arena..I miss Florida...GO GATORS!!!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by labellefille1111 View Post

It really just depends. It also depends on how picky you are, we really wanted a townhouse rather than an apartment, but the wait list was much longer. When a 2 bedroom apartment came up after 1 month, we just told them we would take it because getting settled and moving was more important to us. None the less, I have visited the apartments, they're really nice, IMO. We will live in Terrace View Villas. The rent was a lot cheaper than town homes as well, which is really neat since utilities are covered in all of housing.
    Make sure you get on the wait list as soon as possible and make sure you keep calling and bugging them about your place on the list, (seems suddenly they find availabilities) . I found that works as well.
  7. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    having pets really puts a damper on where you can and can't live in San Diego. it's a very pet-unfriendly city when it comes to renting. (despite the fact everywhere you go someone is walking a dog somewhere, even at the outside malls..)

We have a dog and a cat, we live in Santo Terrace (subdivision of Murphy Canyon--still Lincoln Military Housing). It's housing where all branches can live, it's 15 minutes from Miramar. We have a boatload of neighbors that work there.

We live here specifically because we have pets and it's one of the only housing that takes cats and dogs.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wcchick712 View Post
    having pets really puts a damper on where you can and can't live in San Diego. it's a very pet-unfriendly city when it comes to renting. (despite the fact everywhere you go someone is walking a dog somewhere, even at the outside malls..)

We have a dog and a cat, we live in Santo Terrace (subdivision of Murphy Canyon--still Lincoln Military Housing). It's housing where all branches can live, it's 15 minutes from Miramar. We have a boatload of neighbors that work there.

We live here specifically because we have pets and it's one of the only housing that takes cats and dogs.
    She's right. This is the one thing I forgot. Very pet unfriendly. For now we had to give up our want of a dog.
  9. Senior Member
    Can't help on the housing issue, but welcome to California. I live about 45 mins north of you.
  10. I ♥ my airman
    I ♥ my airman
    I don't know too much about the military side, but I've lived in California my whole life and absolutely love it. I grew up in Northern California but I'm down in So Cal now for college. I hope you enjoy it, the beaches in San Diego are AMAZING.

By nora
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast