Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Anyone near Creech or Nellis AFB in Nevada?

  1. Air Force Wife
    JoyfulJourney's Avatar
    JoyfulJourney is offline
    Air Force Wife
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    744
    #1

    Anyone near Creech or Nellis AFB in Nevada?

    Advertisements
    Hi all

    DF and I are most likely moving to Creech AFB near Las Vegas sometime late this summer...we find out for sure the end of this week. We're beginning to look at apartments/houses and wondering about the area. The area of Centennial Hills was recently recommended to us. I am also looking for a job. I have a degree in child development so something with kids or in the area of pre-school/daycare. Any information/thoughts/advice would be appreciated
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"



  2. Senior Member
    alwayssmile's Avatar
    alwayssmile is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    270
    #2
    Hi! We're currently at Nellis, but leaving in July. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
    In this area, chances are you can find a house with a garage for the same price (maybe $50 more) as a good located apartment, so definitely look into housing rentals. Try militarybyowner.com. We found our rental house by googling property management companies and looking at their websites.
    As far as area goes, it depends if your husband is planning on driving himself up to Creech or taking one of the buses. I *think* there's one that goes b/w Nellis and Creech and another from near the 95 and 215 interchange. No matter what, stick with the north end of the metro area near the north part of the 215. Aliante is a great family area. We live just outside that community.
    As far as jobs go, up until last week I was working in the childcare field. I quit due to being pregnant and moving soon. There are 5 Bright Horizon locations in Las Vegas. I worked for them. When looking for jobs here, BH paid the most by far. With a degree and experience I was making about $3 more/hr than I would have elsewhere, so at least look to see if they're hiring for anything you're interested in. Do know that in order to work in the field in Las Vegas (or even North Las Vegas) you have to get a sheriff's card (NLV and LV have different ones too - they will fingerprint) for childcare and you have to get a health card for childcare from the health department. They both cost money too. The health department requires a TB test (they do it) and you need your records showing that you've had the Hep A series (or they'll give you that vaccine while there). The state of NV also requires 15 hours of approved training each year (which wasn't difficult for me). I also would like to add that I'm not impressed by the school district here at all, so I'd avoid them unless it's all you can find.
    Let me know if you have any more questions. I've been here for 3 1/2 years now.
    Cooking with Mrs Sea Monster | My Ramblings
    Mommy to Aiden (Nov 2010) and Zoe (VBAC Nov 2012)
  3. Air Force Wife
    JoyfulJourney's Avatar
    JoyfulJourney is offline
    Air Force Wife
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    744
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
    Hi! We're currently at Nellis, but leaving in July. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
    In this area, chances are you can find a house with a garage for the same price (maybe $50 more) as a good located apartment, so definitely look into housing rentals. Try militarybyowner.com. We found our rental house by googling property management companies and looking at their websites.
    As far as area goes, it depends if your husband is planning on driving himself up to Creech or taking one of the buses. I *think* there's one that goes b/w Nellis and Creech and another from near the 95 and 215 interchange. No matter what, stick with the north end of the metro area near the north part of the 215. Aliante is a great family area. We live just outside that community.
    As far as jobs go, up until last week I was working in the childcare field. I quit due to being pregnant and moving soon. There are 5 Bright Horizon locations in Las Vegas. I worked for them. When looking for jobs here, BH paid the most by far. With a degree and experience I was making about $3 more/hr than I would have elsewhere, so at least look to see if they're hiring for anything you're interested in. Do know that in order to work in the field in Las Vegas (or even North Las Vegas) you have to get a sheriff's card (NLV and LV have different ones too - they will fingerprint) for childcare and you have to get a health card for childcare from the health department. They both cost money too. The health department requires a TB test (they do it) and you need your records showing that you've had the Hep A series (or they'll give you that vaccine while there). The state of NV also requires 15 hours of approved training each year (which wasn't difficult for me). I also would like to add that I'm not impressed by the school district here at all, so I'd avoid them unless it's all you can find.
    Let me know if you have any more questions. I've been here for 3 1/2 years now.
    Oh thank you for the information! How do you go about getting a sheriff's card and a health card? I am guessing can't get those before I arrive right? I'll definitely get my medical records, thank goodness I've had the Hep A vaccine already. The 15 hours of training...is that just while you're working? I don't have to have those prior to starting work right? Can I apply before I have those? I have at least 30 supervised hours from college plus prior experience, but that probably doesn't count. Good to know all this, and about the school system too.

    We're definitely looking at the North west end of Las Vegas, around the centennial hills area. We're trying to get as close to Creech as possible and that area seems to be about 30 minutes away. So far we haven't found any houses, just apartments. DF doesn't want to spend all of our BAH on rent so we have some for utilities. What is crime like? I am kind of a small town girl, so I have this scary view of Vegas

    Thank you again
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"



  4. Senior Member
    alwayssmile's Avatar
    alwayssmile is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    270
    #4
    Well, let me start by saying that I'm from Memphis, TN which has worse crime than Vegas. lol. Be smart and you'll be fine here! There's a TON more shopping on the north end than there was when we moved here. We have seen a higher amount of reported crime as shopping as moved in, but nothing that terrifies us. There's no escaping crime period here though. Truthfully the worst part about Vegas is the driving. Not everyone understands how red lights and stop signs work...and I've been stuck in more than one traffic jam at 3am. lol
    The Sheriff's Card and Health Card can be done when you get here. I heard they might have changed the rules on being able to get them both without a job offer. Site for Las Vegas Sheriff's Card (remember it's different if you work in North Las Vegas though). Site for Health Card. The 15 hours of training per year is just for when you're working. I got most of my hours through my employer and the local Child Care and Development Program free of cost (there are a LOT of Nevada Registry approved trainings that cost money which is stupid to me). CPR and First Aid are required by everyone and if you need renewing those count towards your training hours. It sounds like a lot with the cards and training (it did to me), but it really isn't that bad as long as you knock it all out as soon as you can. I never had any issues.
    One thing I will warn you about apartments around here is there's often a lot more crime in the complexes than the housing neighborhoods around them. They're more desperate for people right now so they're offering great deals. While great for you, that means everyone is taking advantage of them even the not go great people. DH and I live in a 3 bedroom 1,080 sq ft house; our utilities cost $170 total last month. It's just the hottest summer months when the AC is running a lot that they jump up. Most houses here use gas for their stoves, dryers, and heaters which is a lot cheaper than electricity rates. There are water restrictions, so most houses have rocks with a few bushes that takes minimum watering.
    I hope this helps! When we got out here we were told to "stay north of Craig" and that's about it, so I like being able to help others!
    Cooking with Mrs Sea Monster | My Ramblings
    Mommy to Aiden (Nov 2010) and Zoe (VBAC Nov 2012)
  5. Air Force Wife
    JoyfulJourney's Avatar
    JoyfulJourney is offline
    Air Force Wife
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    744
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
    Well, let me start by saying that I'm from Memphis, TN which has worse crime than Vegas. lol. Be smart and you'll be fine here! There's a TON more shopping on the north end than there was when we moved here. We have seen a higher amount of reported crime as shopping as moved in, but nothing that terrifies us. There's no escaping crime period here though. Truthfully the worst part about Vegas is the driving. Not everyone understands how red lights and stop signs work...and I've been stuck in more than one traffic jam at 3am. lol
    The Sheriff's Card and Health Card can be done when you get here. I heard they might have changed the rules on being able to get them both without a job offer. Site for Las Vegas Sheriff's Card (remember it's different if you work in North Las Vegas though). Site for Health Card. The 15 hours of training per year is just for when you're working. I got most of my hours through my employer and the local Child Care and Development Program free of cost (there are a LOT of Nevada Registry approved trainings that cost money which is stupid to me). CPR and First Aid are required by everyone and if you need renewing those count towards your training hours. It sounds like a lot with the cards and training (it did to me), but it really isn't that bad as long as you knock it all out as soon as you can. I never had any issues.
    One thing I will warn you about apartments around here is there's often a lot more crime in the complexes than the housing neighborhoods around them. They're more desperate for people right now so they're offering great deals. While great for you, that means everyone is taking advantage of them even the not go great people. DH and I live in a 3 bedroom 1,080 sq ft house; our utilities cost $170 total last month. It's just the hottest summer months when the AC is running a lot that they jump up. Most houses here use gas for their stoves, dryers, and heaters which is a lot cheaper than electricity rates. There are water restrictions, so most houses have rocks with a few bushes that takes minimum watering.
    I hope this helps! When we got out here we were told to "stay north of Craig" and that's about it, so I like being able to help others!

    Thank you!! That helps so much! We just found out we are in fact moving to Creech. It's difficult finding houses to rent online as DF doesn't want to spend all our BAH so some can go to utilities. I was thinking about getting a 6 month apartment lease til we find a house and then moving. i think searching in person would be easier. i definitely want an alarm system and a big dog! I wonder if i sent in my resume and called Bright Horizons if that would help me any? I'd like to wait and start work in Nov after the wedding but Df is concerned i wont get a job then.
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"



  6. *evacuate the dancefloor...i'm in las vegas...!!!*
    lilangelbabe1217's Avatar
    lilangelbabe1217 is offline
    *evacuate the dancefloor...i'm in las vegas...!!!*
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home AFB...Idaho
    Posts
    1,126
    #6
    hey!! i live in centennial hills and my hubs works at nellis...you should live in the hills its wonderful! we dont even feel like we live in vegas and the highway towards creech is right down the road from us!!we curretnly live in an apartment in CH and its pretty nice they are giving us a really good deal with a military discount...we currently pay 800 with a dog...thats pretty good i work on the strip at a hotel...if you have any other questions please let me know i dont get on here that much so if it takes a min for me to get back i am sorry! and welcome to vegas!!
  7. Air Force Wife
    JoyfulJourney's Avatar
    JoyfulJourney is offline
    Air Force Wife
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    744
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lilangelbabe1217 View Post
    hey!! i live in centennial hills and my hubs works at nellis...you should live in the hills its wonderful! we dont even feel like we live in vegas and the highway towards creech is right down the road from us!!we curretnly live in an apartment in CH and its pretty nice they are giving us a really good deal with a military discount...we currently pay 800 with a dog...thats pretty good i work on the strip at a hotel...if you have any other questions please let me know i dont get on here that much so if it takes a min for me to get back i am sorry! and welcome to vegas!!
    Hi!! We're definitely looking at Centennial Hills. The area seems really nice and neither DF or I are interested in feeling like we live in Vegas. If you don't mind me asking, what's the name of the apartment complex you're in? We're looking at Avanti and it seems pretty nice. We're also looking at getting a dog so that's important to us. It's proving to be difficult to find apartments online and especially to tell if they really are nice.

    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"



  8. Senior Member
    alwayssmile's Avatar
    alwayssmile is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    270
    #8
    You can submit your resume online through the Bright Horizons website. BH does infant through school age (depending on the center), so just let them know what ages you've done before and what ages you're willing to do. There is a lady who reviews all of them for this region and does phone interviews. She's really nice. After the phone interview she'll forward your information to whatever center she thinks you'd be a great fit for (or multiple centers). The centers are a bit of a drive from North Las Vegas, but they're all convenient to the 215 or 15. The 215 isn't bad at all for traffic compared to the rest of Vegas! Normally I'm one to say to not let potential employers know that you're moving due to military, but Las Vegas is different. A lot of people say they're moving here, but then don't. With military they know that you're coming.

    The Avanti apartments are outside of the 215, so they're good as far as general area and safety! Getting on and off the 215 is funky through there because there isn't an exit without you driving a bit out of the way first. However, once you're on the 215 it's easy to get to NLV shopping and Summerlin shopping.
    Cooking with Mrs Sea Monster | My Ramblings
    Mommy to Aiden (Nov 2010) and Zoe (VBAC Nov 2012)
  9. Air Force Wife
    JoyfulJourney's Avatar
    JoyfulJourney is offline
    Air Force Wife
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    744
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
    You can submit your resume online through the Bright Horizons website. BH does infant through school age (depending on the center), so just let them know what ages you've done before and what ages you're willing to do. There is a lady who reviews all of them for this region and does phone interviews. She's really nice. After the phone interview she'll forward your information to whatever center she thinks you'd be a great fit for (or multiple centers). The centers are a bit of a drive from North Las Vegas, but they're all convenient to the 215 or 15. The 215 isn't bad at all for traffic compared to the rest of Vegas! Normally I'm one to say to not let potential employers know that you're moving due to military, but Las Vegas is different. A lot of people say they're moving here, but then don't. With military they know that you're coming.

    The Avanti apartments are outside of the 215, so they're good as far as general area and safety! Getting on and off the 215 is funky through there because there isn't an exit without you driving a bit out of the way first. However, once you're on the 215 it's easy to get to NLV shopping and Summerlin shopping.

    Thanks! I have the most experience with birth to 3 and that's my favorite age to work with. DO you think it's too early to submit my application? We're moving probably in July but I dont know that I want to start work till after the wedding in Oct, unless they would be understanding about me taking about a month off to finish planning back in west Virginia. Sorry for the questions, I've never had a job other than a summer position before, but I'd love to have a job lined before i get there.

    Glad to know Avanti is nice. They look beautiful from the website. It's the first place DF and I found and we fell in love with it!!
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"



  10. Senior Member
    Reeses*Pieces's Avatar
    Reeses*Pieces is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,984
    #10
    BTW, jobs are BITCHES to get out there. I've been applying to nurse jobs for months with not even a single freakin reply. Apartments and stuff are nicely priced though. Once you get away from the strip it is very... desert like, lol. I really like Nellis though! Never been to Creech as DB takes the shuttle.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •