Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Off Base In San Diego

1. Senior Member

Off Base In San Diego

Advertisements
    We are moving to San Diego in May and I am apartment searching. I would prefer to live off base in an apartment but near miramar. I have read and searched through threads looking for suggestions but I mostly only found info for onbase or suggestions for neighborhoods. Does anyone have any suggestions on complexes or places to stay away from? When I called housing they just told me to wait until I get there to find a place but I don't feel comfortable moving 2000 miles without an idea of where I am going to live. Help would be great ; D
  2. Senior Member
    ARe you completely against living on base? They have a lot of different communities that are considered base housing but are not literally "on a base." We live in Murphy Canyon about 10 min south of Miramar and love it out here. Depending on how big of a place you are looking for, rent is very expensive out here, plus you have the utitilies to worry about. I am sorry I dont have any tips for any off basing housing since we live on base- but just wanted to throw that out there- thats one less thing you have to worry about when you live on base- no bills or anything for housing
  3. Senior Member
    well I guess that I should get some more information on it. When I called the housing office today, they weren't very helpful but she did mention that there was a place that we could move near Hillary Park (no clue where that is) and it would only take partial of our bah. We don't have kids so we don't have to have a big place. So like right now we live off base and have like an extra 600 left over after rent to pay for our other bills like car payment etc. So I just have an issue using all of our bah on rent/utilities.
    when you say that there aren't any bills... does that mean that internet and cable are paid for or is that considered luxuries?
  4. Senior Member
    we still have to pay for internet and cable and home phone but everything else is paid for- water, electric, gas, trash. And to get a decent place out here its a lot- not sure what rank your husband is, but they don't really give you a lot when you consider paying utitlites (most people pay out of pocket) There is a lot of info on the lincoln military housing website.
  5. Senior Member
    We lived in a nice apartment out in East County which is probably a 30 minute drive to miramar, but we paid $1100 for a 3 bedroom apartment.