Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Diego/ Lincoln Housing

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

San Diego/ Lincoln Housing

Advertisements
    We are PCSing to San Diego in 3-weeks and I feel like Lincoln is giving me the runaround. I talk to different people; ask the same questions; and get different answers.

My husband faxed over all our info to apply for housing last Monday. I got the runaround about leaving messages until Friday when I finally talked to someone and they said our paper work is there. I get a call back today from one of the many messages I left and she is telling me my paperwork is not there!

I am BEYOND fustrated! Any advice, suggestions, etc on how to deal with them is GREATLY appreciated!

Also because of the different stories...how hard is it to get into a 4-bdrm in Serra Mesa vs Murphy Canyon? And are the 4-bdrms in Murphy Canyon tiny? I have looked at the floorplans and they seem itty bitty! Also I keep hearing that a 4-bdrm in Gateway village is nearly impossible...are the 3 bdrms small? Or would a family of 5 fit comfortably in one if we chose to downgrade a room?

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Not sure what your options are since I don't know your husbands rank, but we lived in and loved Chesterton houses (not town houses). We had a detached home with a big back yard that was fenced and a nice playground 40 feet from our back door. The elementary school was one street away... The Lincoln guys are kind of unreliable, but once you get in touch with the right people, you'll be fine. Just keep pushing.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks Judi
    Glad to know there is hope finding someone reliable there to work with. I'm getting nervous about housing because I cant get a straight story from anyone there. Doesnt make for a good move ya know.
    My husband is an E5 and we have 3 children. Does Chesteron have 4 bdrms?
    What elementary school is it? I have a soon to be preschooler, a kindergartener & a freshman in high school. Do you happen to know anything about the local high school?
  4. Senior Member

That sucks. I have a friend who works for Lincoln Housing but she is more of a party planner for the communities. I'll ask her if she knows who may be the reliable person to contact, though.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Does anyone have pictures of Gateway Village in San Diego?
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Navgirl that would be awesome THANKS!

I left 2 messages today to follow up with the person I spoke with yesterday to see if she located our "missing" forms and no phone call back yet. Luckily I am headed out there 3 weeks prior to my husband so I can get there and go down to housing in person, hopefully I'll have better luck if I am standing right there instead of playing phone tag. Was just hoping to secure something prior to my arrival but oh well doesnt look promising at the moment.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie View Post
    We are PCSing to San Diego in 3-weeks and I feel like Lincoln is giving me the runaround. I talk to different people; ask the same questions; and get different answers.

My husband faxed over all our info to apply for housing last Monday. I got the runaround about leaving messages until Friday when I finally talked to someone and they said our paper work is there. I get a call back today from one of the many messages I left and she is telling me my paperwork is not there!

I am BEYOND fustrated! Any advice, suggestions, etc on how to deal with them is GREATLY appreciated!

Also because of the different stories...how hard is it to get into a 4-bdrm in Serra Mesa vs Murphy Canyon? And are the 4-bdrms in Murphy Canyon tiny? I have looked at the floorplans and they seem itty bitty! Also I keep hearing that a 4-bdrm in Gateway village is nearly impossible...are the 3 bdrms small? Or would a family of 5 fit comfortably in one if we chose to downgrade a room?

TIA!
    I just flew out there to personally take a look out housing, because I didn't want to go people's opinion. I am very glad that I did, because everyone's standard of living is not the same. Before I went out there, I was looking online for pictures of different housing areas and couldn't find any. So, I decided to take my camera to take pictures of different housing areas, because I didn't want people to have to go through what I've been experiencing in dealing with Lincoln. I looked at 2 floorplans in Gateway Village (a 2-story 3bdr/2.5bth and a handicap-accessible 4-bdr/2bth), 2 floorplans at The Village of Serra Mesa (a 3-story 3bdr/3.5bth and a 4bdr/2.5bth), 1 floorplan at Santo Terrace at Murphy Canyon (4bdr./2.5bth), 1 floorplan at Aero Ridge at Murphy Canyon (4bdr/2.5bth), and 2 floorplans at Chollas Heights (2bdr/1.5bth and 4bdr/2.5bth). Gateway Village and The Village of Serra Mesa were by far the nicest of them all. The difference between Gateway Village and The Village of Serra Mesa is the age of the property. Their floorplans are the same. Gateway Village is only 5 years old. The Village of Serra Mesa looks as if they were built in the 90's. However, both are very nice. They both have clubhouses, activities for your children, elementary schools are located right outside of housing (it's really on the property, but because on is owned by the military and one is not it's considered outside of housing.). There's a mini-NEX at Serra Mesa, however Gateway Village is across the street from a Marine Base. Gateway is for E-1 to E-6. Serra Mesa is for E-1 to E-9. The staff at Serra Mesa seemed more informed of what was going on in their community than those at Gateway Village. I just picked up the most recent wait-list times and it's a 0-3 month wait for a 4bdr in Serra Mesa. Gateway says 15-18 months. As for the actual units themselves, they have several floorplans at both. The 2-story 3bdr unit I looked at had small rooms. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of that one. I videotaped it. I looked at a 4bdr handicap-accessible unit at Gateway, because that was the only 4bdr that was available to look at. The rooms were not very large, just the width of the hallways and the downstairs bathroom. At The Village of Serra Mesa, I looked at a 3-story 3bdr/3.5bth unit and a 4bdr/25bth unit. The 3-story unit has a living room, dining room, family room (LOL...I'll explain shortly), kitchen, 1/2 bath, and laundry room on the 1st floor. 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the 2nd floor and has a bedroom and bathroom on the 3rd floor. IN the hallway of the 3rd floor is a built-in computer desk/shelf. Some floorplans say that it's a loft. It's not. There is no room there except for a chair to sit at the computer desk/shelf. The master bedroom is on the 2nd floor, but the largest bedroom which is like 15 x 13 is on the 3rd floor. The agent said that the reason the bedroom on the 2nd floor is considered the master is because it's monitored by the alarm system in the house. The window on the 3rd floor isn't, but she said that some people use it as their master bedroom. The 4bdr/2.5bth is the best by far! It has the most space and the most sensible floorplan (layout). Downstairs has a living room, dining room, family room, half bath, kitchen, and a storage closet. Here's where it gets a little tricky. As you go up the stairs, there are three steps and then you turn right to go up the rest of the stairs OR you turn left to go into the laundry room. Yes, the laundry room is located in the midst of the stairwell. Sounds weird, but it seems really convenient. Upstairs are 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a built-in computer desk/shelf in the hallway. The bedrooms are not the biggest, but they are the best of all the the communities I've looked at. As for the "family room", when my friend and I looked at it we thought that it was part of the eat-in kitchen. They are not typical family room size and they have vinyl flooring. It's in the same area as the kitchen. In the regular 4bdr at Serra Mesa there was an island-type stand or cabinet in the kitchen that made it look separate and more similar to a family room space. All of the units have garages, however most of them are detached and are located behind your unit. So if you're using your garage, you enter and exit your home through the back door. They do not have backyards for kids to play. It's pretty much concrete some professionally landscaped greenery. Large patio furniture is definitely not recommended. As for Aero Ridge at Murphy Canyon, they are small. The laundry room is a nice size, however everything else is small. On the first floor is a living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, half bath, and laundry room with a door that leads to an attached one-car garage. On the second floor are 4 bdr and 2 baths. The master bedroom is not very big, but it's decent. The rest of the rooms are small with one being really small (10'2 x 9'). There was a small backyard with storage closets w/ shelving on the back patio. They also have a patio area in the front of the house that can accomodate medium size patio furniture and nice front yard. I do not have pictures of that one, because I videotaped that one, too. As for Santo Terrace at Murphy Canyon, they were better than Aero Ridge, because they had better space. On the first floor is a living room, dining room, kitchen, family room, half-bath, and laundry room. There's also a door in the hallway that leads to an attached one-car garage. Upstairs, there are 4bdr/2bth. The room sizes were better than Aero Ridge. The master bedroom was about the same. The measurements are on the Lincoln website. They do not have backyards, however they do have small front yards. As for your question about getting at 4bdr or downgrading to a 3bdr. The agent told me that if you qualify for a 4bdr and you downgrade to a 3bdr, you WILL NOT be able to upgrade to a 4bdr later and they make you sign paperwork to say that you understand that. If you can hold out for a 4bdr, I would recommend that you do so. The 3-story 3bdr may accomodate your family if your children are small, however if you downgrade to a 3bdr you're not guaranteed that type of 3bdr. You can only decline housing twice before you have to re-apply, so I would say go for the 4bdr. At least you will be assured that you'll get what you need. I have pictures of both Serra Mesa Units, Santo Terrace at Murphy Canyon, and Chollas Heights. I took over 200 pictures, so let me know what you would like to see and I will post them. I know that I gave a lot of information. Hopefully, this will help you in your hous-hunting endeavors! Take care and I hope that everything works out the way you want it to!
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

TIA!
    I just flew out there to personally take a look out housing, because I didn't want to go people's opinion. I am very glad that I did, because everyone's standard of living is not the same. Before I went out there, I was looking online for pictures of different housing areas and couldn't find any. So, I decided to take my camera to take pictures of different housing areas, because I didn't want people to have to go through what I've been experiencing in dealing with Lincoln. I looked at 2 floorplans in Gateway Village (a 2-story 3bdr/2.5bth and a handicap-accessible 4-bdr/2bth), 2 floorplans at The Village of Serra Mesa (a 3-story 3bdr/3.5bth and a 4bdr/2.5bth), 1 floorplan at Santo Terrace at Murphy Canyon (4bdr./2.5bth), 1 floorplan at Aero Ridge at Murphy Canyon (4bdr/2.5bth), and 2 floorplans at Chollas Heights (2bdr/1.5bth and 4bdr/2.5bth). Gateway Village and The Village of Serra Mesa were by far the nicest of them all. The difference between Gateway Village and The Village of Serra Mesa is the age of the property. Their floorplans are the same. Gateway Village is only 5 years old. The Village of Serra Mesa looks as if they were built in the 90's. However, both are very nice. They both have clubhouses, activities for your children, elementary schools are located right outside of housing (it's really on the property, but because on is owned by the military and one is not it's considered outside of housing.). There's a mini-NEX at Serra Mesa, however Gateway Village is across the street from a Marine Base. Gateway is for E-1 to E-6. Serra Mesa is for E-1 to E-9. The staff at Serra Mesa seemed more informed of what was going on in their community than those at Gateway Village. I just picked up the most recent wait-list times and it's a 0-3 month wait for a 4bdr in Serra Mesa. Gateway says 15-18 months. As for the actual units themselves, they have several floorplans at both. The 2-story 3bdr unit I looked at had small rooms. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of that one. I videotaped it. I looked at a 4bdr handicap-accessible unit at Gateway, because that was the only 4bdr that was available to look at. The rooms were not very large, just the width of the hallways and the downstairs bathroom. At The Village of Serra Mesa, I looked at a 3-story 3bdr/3.5bth unit and a 4bdr/25bth unit. The 3-story unit has a living room, dining room, family room (LOL...I'll explain shortly), kitchen, 1/2 bath, and laundry room on the 1st floor. 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the 2nd floor and has a bedroom and bathroom on the 3rd floor. IN the hallway of the 3rd floor is a built-in computer desk/shelf. Some floorplans say that it's a loft. It's not. There is no room there except for a chair to sit at the computer desk/shelf. The master bedroom is on the 2nd floor, but the largest bedroom which is like 15 x 13 is on the 3rd floor. The agent said that the reason the bedroom on the 2nd floor is considered the master is because it's monitored by the alarm system in the house. The window on the 3rd floor isn't, but she said that some people use it as their master bedroom. The 4bdr/2.5bth is the best by far! It has the most space and the most sensible floorplan (layout). Downstairs has a living room, dining room, family room, half bath, kitchen, and a storage closet. Here's where it gets a little tricky. As you go up the stairs, there are three steps and then you turn right to go up the rest of the stairs OR you turn left to go into the laundry room. Yes, the laundry room is located in the midst of the stairwell. Sounds weird, but it seems really convenient. Upstairs are 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a built-in computer desk/shelf in the hallway. The bedrooms are not the biggest, but they are the best of all the the communities I've looked at. As for the "family room", when my friend and I looked at it we thought that it was part of the eat-in kitchen. They are not typical family room size and they have vinyl flooring. It's in the same area as the kitchen. In the regular 4bdr at Serra Mesa there was an island-type stand or cabinet in the kitchen that made it look separate and more similar to a family room space. All of the units have garages, however most of them are detached and are located behind your unit. So if you're using your garage, you enter and exit your home through the back door. They do not have backyards for kids to play. It's pretty much concrete some professionally landscaped greenery. Large patio furniture is definitely not recommended. As for Aero Ridge at Murphy Canyon, they are small. The laundry room is a nice size, however everything else is small. On the first floor is a living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, half bath, and laundry room with a door that leads to an attached one-car garage. On the second floor are 4 bdr and 2 baths. The master bedroom is not very big, but it's decent. The rest of the rooms are small with one being really small (10'2 x 9'). There was a small backyard with storage closets w/ shelving on the back patio. They also have a patio area in the front of the house that can accomodate medium size patio furniture and nice front yard. I do not have pictures of that one, because I videotaped that one, too. As for Santo Terrace at Murphy Canyon, they were better than Aero Ridge, because they had better space. On the first floor is a living room, dining room, kitchen, family room, half-bath, and laundry room. There's also a door in the hallway that leads to an attached one-car garage. Upstairs, there are 4bdr/2bth. The room sizes were better than Aero Ridge. The master bedroom was about the same. The measurements are on the Lincoln website. They do not have backyards, however they do have small front yards. As for your question about getting at 4bdr or downgrading to a 3bdr. The agent told me that if you qualify for a 4bdr and you downgrade to a 3bdr, you WILL NOT be able to upgrade to a 4bdr later and they make you sign paperwork to say that you understand that. If you can hold out for a 4bdr, I would recommend that you do so. The 3-story 3bdr may accomodate your family if your children are small, however if you downgrade to a 3bdr you're not guaranteed that type of 3bdr. You can only decline housing twice before you have to re-apply, so I would say go for the 4bdr. At least you will be assured that you'll get what you need. I have pictures of both Serra Mesa Units, Santo Terrace at Murphy Canyon, and Chollas Heights. I took over 200 pictures, so let me know what you would like to see and I will post them. I know that I gave a lot of information. Hopefully, this will help you in your hous-hunting endeavors! Take care and I hope that everything works out the way you want it to!
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks Judi
    Glad to know there is hope finding someone reliable there to work with. I'm getting nervous about housing because I cant get a straight story from anyone there. Doesnt make for a good move ya know.
    My husband is an E5 and we have 3 children. Does Chesteron have 4 bdrms?
    What elementary school is it? I have a soon to be preschooler, a kindergartener & a freshman in high school. Do you happen to know anything about the local high school?
    I am here visiting the area, because we are PCSing soon. I came out here, because I wasn't getting any straight answers and needed to see things for myself. I know that everyone can't come before their PCS, so I don't mind being the eyes and ears and giving what information I have. I've been out visiting different areas. Chesterton was one of the ones on my list to visit, however I found where we want to live before I got to look at the inside of them. However, I did pass through the neighborhood. The elementary school is on-site. It's called Chesterton Elementary. Some of the housing communities have daycare on-site (I.E. Chollas Heights). High-schoolers are zoned for Kearney Educational Complex. I went to check it out, because it's the school that my high-schooler will be zoned for. Kearney has 4 schools in one. Each has a different course of study: International Business, Digital Design & Media, Construction Technology, and Science. They still take their core classes there, but depending on which one you choose to enroll your child in will determine what he/she will be studying. If you do not want to send your child to that school, you can apply for another school. You'll just have to provide transportation to and from. You can check out the schools in San Diego and see their ratings at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. Chesterton offers single-family homes. The 4bdr are approx. 1720 sqft. I've taken over 200 pictures of different housing communities, unfortunately none of them are of Chesterton. Hopefully, this information helps. Take care!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Navgirl that would be awesome THANKS!

I left 2 messages today to follow up with the person I spoke with yesterday to see if she located our "missing" forms and no phone call back yet. Luckily I am headed out there 3 weeks prior to my husband so I can get there and go down to housing in person, hopefully I'll have better luck if I am standing right there instead of playing phone tag. Was just hoping to secure something prior to my arrival but oh well doesnt look promising at the moment.
    Before coming out here to visit, I had the same problem. I'd left messages with 2 different individuals several times, including the day before I was scheduled to fly to San Diego to visit. I didn't get a response, so I showed up at the office and received immediate assistance. Within 30 minutes, I completed my application for housing, they processed it, and put us on the list for the timeframe that we'll be moving out there. It only took 30 minutes from start to finish. That could have been taken care of with at single phone call. If they don't contact you back before you leave, show up at the office. They'll take care of you immediately. Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast