Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: School resource information.

1. Senior Member

School resource information.

Advertisements
    After talking with one of the Admins, I am starting a school info thread that will have various links and resource contact information. To make it easier to find, it will be stickied. Please add any resource info you may have.

San Diego Metro School Liaison Officer:

Shannon Milder (I have Shannon's permission to post her contact info on this site, she knows it is public)
    619-991-2509
    shannon.milder@navy.mil
    Untitled Document

She is a great resource for families PCSing to San Diego area. She is there to help gather info needed to navigate the Unified San Diego School District CHOICE program.

Licensed Mental Health Clinician
    Supports Children and Youth in Transition

Laura
    619-725-8163
    ldwan@sandi.net

Certain schools within San Diego were given a DoD grant that will help implement programs needed to help our military kids transistion and deal with the challenges unique to military children. Laura is part of that grant. She is assisting in getting these programs in place and kids plugged into the programs.

SOAR
    Student Online Achievement Resources

Lora
    559-410-5806
    lorawillett@gmail.com
    soarathome.org

This site allows you to compare the benchmarks of your current state to those you may PCS to. There are different things for the kids to do on here so that you can see the areas they are excelling in and those they are struggling in. I just learned about this one today!

Sites you can visit to read parent reviews, school's state test scores, etc. about schools coast to coast.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools

The Unified San Diego School District website:

San Diego Unified School District

Other districts in and around San Diego County:

Poway: Poway Unified Home Page

Santee: Santee School District

Chula Vista: Home - District Web Site
    Last edited by navywifeplus3; 07-10-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added new liaison info.
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I'm so glad you posted this. I have school-age kids (1st and 3rd grade), and we've been in good schools and a not-so-good school. It really makes a big difference when your kids are going to a good school. We are getting ready to transfer soon and San Diego is our first choice. I've been checking that website, GreatSchools and like the info they provide, but I'd love to hear what other military families say about the schools. With all our unique challenges it's nice to get a military family perspective. Also, I didn't know SDUSD had a Choice Program, good to know!
    Thank you navywifeplus3!

Does anyone have opinions on the schools near Murphy Canyon? Since we'll be at our next duty station for 5 years, I'm looking at Elementary and Middle schools. Especially the middle schools, De Portola and Farb? I'd like my girls to go to De Portola, but how do they decide who goes to which one? Is it by where you live or do they have a waiting list? Please help...I like to do my planning now, to avoid headaches later.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaLiGirl80 View Post
    I'm so glad you posted this. I have school-age kids (1st and 3rd grade), and we've been in good schools and a not-so-good school. It really makes a big difference when your kids are going to a good school. We are getting ready to transfer soon and San Diego is our first choice. I've been checking that website, GreatSchools and like the info they provide, but I'd love to hear what other military families say about the schools. With all our unique challenges it's nice to get a military family perspective. Also, I didn't know SDUSD had a Choice Program, good to know!
    Thank you navywifeplus3
    !

Does anyone have opinions on the schools near Murphy Canyon? Since we'll be at our next duty station for 5 years, I'm looking at Elementary and Middle schools. Especially the middle schools, De Portola and Farb? I'd like my girls to go to De Portola, but how do they decide who goes to which one? Is it by where you live or do they have a waiting list? Please help...I like to do my planning now, to avoid headaches later.
    Thanks. We just PCSed here for the second time this past summer. It is hard and overwhelming. Especially when there are so many schools to choose from in San Diego. You have options, almost too many, and it can be overwhelming to try to weed through them.

My son is at De Portola. We LOVE IT!! De Portola has an awesome parent foundation that works very hard to supplement lack of state funding. They have worked very hard to provide the things our kids need to learn on a competative level. They have provided computers, planners/student agendas, etc. Parent involvement at this school is high. The more parents you have involved at schools the better they are. Period. If you have those extra eyes and hands there to maintain order, it gives the teachers the time they need to focus on educating. They offer many, many groups/clubs for the kids to participate in. The clubs are held before school, during lunch, and after school. I've heard alot of negatives about Farb. I went to visit it for myself and just didn't like the feel of it. It was just so chaotic compared to De Portola. You fill out a preference form to choose Farb or De Portola. They take the first x amount of forms, based on space available. After that there is a wait list that goes by date the form was submitted. When you submit a form, they stamp it with the date and time and that stamp is how they determine who came first.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Smile

Does anyone know anything about the Kearny High School Complex?
    We're PCSing to S.D. in April and we really want the Serra Mesa housing. I am originally from San Diego with family living in Serra Mesa so crossing fingers we can live by them! I graduated from Kearny YEEEEARS ago but it was a "regular" school then.

I'm hesitant to send my son there. I hear good & bad things but noone I know actually has a child attending so I'd like to hear first hand accounts if possible.

Thanks!
  5. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Would love to hear reviews of the schools that are fed by the Murphy Canyon housing area--Miller Elementary and Hancock Elementary, I believe??
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My kids went to Middle and HS in Coronado. I think they have the best school system.
  7. Senior Member
    Beth- are you guys moving to MC? You know my opinion on Hancock- I have heard from several people (including a teacher that used to work there) to go somewhere else!
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Does anyone know of any good pre schools out there in murphy canyon area?
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

schools in SD

so we ended up in Norfolk for a few years and now heading for sure out to San Diego. Does anyone know of any good pre schools out there in murphy canyon area? I have a 4yo who really wants to go to school. I have enrolled my older kids ages 10,7, and 6 at Vista Grande Elementary if anyone has a kid that goes there that could tell me what its like that would be great! Im especially interested in how they do with kids with ASD and ADHD?