Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ?s about housing

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help ?s about housing

Advertisements
    hi im new here and i was wondering if anyone could help me. we just recieved our orders for miramar and this is our first pcs. we called the housing office around 4x already and left messages with no response back. so i came on the net looking for the information that housing isnt going to give us. we have 2 boys ages 5 and 3 how many bedrooms do we rate my husband is a e-5. also what is the hot sheet how long does it take to get a house if we get it from the hot sheet? my 5 year old will be going to kindergarden so what housing areas have a good schools? we're coming from new river and i dont know anyone out there i have no idea what areas are good areas and what arent.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    hope you find the answers you need.

please take a moment and introduce your self in the newbie section.

also review the OPSEC and PERSEC information.
  3. Regular Member
    I have no idea about hot sheets, or anything like that BUT I do know that with a good school you might wanna check out Murphy Canyon housing or Mira Mesa Ridge, they both have school very close.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    hi im new here and i was wondering if anyone could help me. we just recieved our orders for miramar and this is our first pcs. we called the housing office around 4x already and left messages with no response back. so i came on the net looking for the information that housing isnt going to give us. we have 2 boys ages 5 and 3 how many bedrooms do we rate my husband is a e-5. also what is the hot sheet how long does it take to get a house if we get it from the hot sheet? my 5 year old will be going to kindergarden so what housing areas have a good schools? we're coming from new river and i dont know anyone out there i have no idea what areas are good areas and what arent.
    Keep calling housing, they aren't so good at returning phone calls. I do have to tell you that they aren't reall forth coming with info.

Having 2 children will qualify you for a 3 bedroom home. I haven't been in but one house on Miramar and that was a 4 bedroom. It was small and there was no yard. I also found the layout to be awkward. I do not have personal experience with any of the elementary schools in Mira Mesa. If you were to live on Miramar your neighborhood schools are in Mira Mesa. The Unified San Diego school district has what they call the CHOICE program. You can choose to send your child to a school outside of your neighborhood. You can find more info at San Diego Unified School District. There are links to each school within the district on the site. Look at each schools rating on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community This is a third party site, so the district cannot filter what is posted about the schools.

Murphy Canyon is a good housing area. All the houses have yards, but some are much smaller than others. Murphy Canyon is off base and located about 10 minutes from Miramar. Murphy Canyon is located in the Tierrasanta area of San Diego. We are pretty close to everything, yet far enough away for it to be quiet. There are grocery stores, walmart, target, the mall, etc. within 10 to 15 minutes. Easy access to the highways. Murphy Canyon has two elementary schools within the housing area (Miller and Hancock), but is also close to 3 very good schools; Vista Grande, Tierrasanta Elem., and Kumayaay. My youngest two attend Vista. We LOVE it! If you decide to take advantage of the CHOICE program and choose a more popular school, I can tell you the district office will try to deter you.

Chesterton is also within 10 minutes of Miramar, but the area is a little busier part of the city. I don't know about the elementary schools there, but I do know that the middle school is horrible. I was in a 3 bedroom townhome and they were nice, but no AC. I don't remember if they had a back yard. I know the single units (E-6 and above) have yards, but not sure about the townhomes.

Oh look here for floor plans and pics of various areas:
    Navy & Marine Corps Housing OneStop I don't know if they have the Miramar housing on there, but they do have all of the military housing within San Diego that is off base.

ETA: The hot sheet list are houses available now. You would be able to move in immediately.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    thank you everyone for all the answers. my husband has been asking around work about different housing areas and everyone he has talked to that is stationed on miramar has told him to go to serra mesa. since its been on the hotsheet alot lately we've decided thats going to be our first pick. does anyone have any kind of information about this place i have read somewhere that parking was a issue but since we only have one car for the next year i dont see it being too big of a problem. thats great news about the schools i'm going to research them all after i write this i want my son to have a good education. also here we got my oldest son into headstart can we do the same there or do we make too much? does anyone have recomendations on preschools? my youngest is 3 so i was looking at getting him into something soon. i was told about a mommy and me program where i can go once a week with my child and teach him stuff does anyone know about this program. we will be out there the middle of march and i'm very excited.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    thank you everyone for all the answers. my husband has been asking around work about different housing areas and everyone he has talked to that is stationed on miramar has told him to go to serra mesa. since its been on the hotsheet alot lately we've decided thats going to be our first pick. does anyone have any kind of information about this place i have read somewhere that parking was a issue but since we only have one car for the next year i dont see it being too big of a problem. thats great news about the schools i'm going to research them all after i write this i want my son to have a good education. also here we got my oldest son into headstart can we do the same there or do we make too much? does anyone have recomendations on preschools? my youngest is 3 so i was looking at getting him into something soon. i was told about a mommy and me program where i can go once a week with my child and teach him stuff does anyone know about this program. we will be out there the middle of march and i'm very excited.
    Serra Mesa has garages, so you are guaranteed at least that much space for parking. That area is across the 15 from Murphy Canyon/Tierrasanta area. I'm do not have personal experience with Angier Elem. (school for Serra Mesa), but I would suggest you go to those links I gave in my last reply and research. Great Schools website gives you parent reviews, school ratings, etc.. Tour the schools when you get here. You can get a feel for a school by doing a walk through and talking with the staff. I visited 3 elementaries, but I knew Vista was the one 5 minutes into my conversation with our principal. I'm not sure if you are navy or marine (there are both attached to Miramar), but I will give you the info for the Navy Liaison officer who can put you in touch with the Marine Liaison officer. I'll PM it because I'm not sure if I can post her info on here or not. The Liaison officers are there to help you with the research on schools. If you are not impressed with the school for Serra Mesa, take advantage of the CHOICE program. Other than my son's middle school, we have never used our neighborhood school, we've always CHOICEd into a better school. (This is our second time living in San Diego) It can be overwhelming and a lot of research, phone calls, waiting, and advocating for your child, but is totally worth the fight IMO. That is why we have the Liaison officer's, they help to walk you through it.

Oh and here is another link that the liaison gave us at our military parent meeting today at the school. SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools