Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Coronado in Jan

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hello Moving to Coronado in Jan

Advertisements
    Hi all, Newbie here. Excited and nervous about upcoming PCS to San Diego. My DH is in the Navy and we have 2 sons ages 18 mos and 2 1/2yrs old. Any info you have about the Coronado are is greatly appreciated. We are currently in Okinawa japan (love it here BTW) and we'll be outta here next weekend and going to visit family in Texas before we head out to San Diego. I look forward to making some friends in the area as well.
  2. Senior Member

Where in Texas? I am from Ft Worth and we're moving to SD maybe in April from Korea. We lived in SD for 8 years before Korea. We also have 2 boys but they are 10 and 12 years old.

Coronado is where Naval Air Station North Island located. It's not really an island though. Is that where your dh will be? That is where the carriers are ported, too. There is no housing on Coronado that I know of or at least only for high ranking officers.

There is also Naval Amphibious Base Coronado which is south of Coronado, the city. There is housing on the Silver Strand which is the strip of land between Coronado and Imperial Beach.

My dh will be at Naval Base San Diego, aka 32nd Street on the USS Pearl Harbor. We know we are going, just not sure when exactly.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I believe it is North Island, but I am not exactly sure . I know that he will be on the USS Higgins.

We'll be going to visit family in the Brownsville/Harlingen area. I'm just happy that we will be able to spend the holidays with family this year. Being so far away from family and friends can be tough sometimes. So how long have you been in Korea? We've been here in Japan a little over 3 yrs now.

BTW, my name is Marilyn.
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsV956 View Post
    I believe it is North Island, but I am not exactly sure . I know that he will be on the USS Higgins.

We'll be going to visit family in the Brownsville/Harlingen area. I'm just happy that we will be able to spend the holidays with family this year. Being so far away from family and friends can be tough sometimes. So how long have you been in Korea? We've been here in Japan a little over 3 yrs now.

BTW, my name is Marilyn.
    My husband used to be on the USS Higgins! That is a destroyer. He left it in 2004, though but that is at Naval Base San Diego 32nd street.

I have been here nearly 3 years. It will be almost 31/2 years by the time we leave.
    Oh and I am Jennifer

ETA: I have to correct this, he was on the Higgins till May 2003 and went to the Benfold during sea swap trials where instead of having a ship come back to port in the US they have the crews switch and fly out to meet the ship and the other crew flies home. He left the USS Benfold in Dec 2004.
  5. Senior Member
    i'm here in San Diego! Born and raised here in Southern California. The island is actually pretty nice. The hubz didnt want to live ON the island because there's a HUGE bridge that you have to take to and from when you want to get back on main land.
    Last edited by TeenyBeany; 12-26-2009 at 01:16 AM.
  6. Senior Member

It's too expensive to live on Coronado. A 2 room shack can cost $500K and rent for a one bedroom apartment is probably is pretty pricey for military and depending on the rank the BAH probably would not cover all the rent.
    And there is a strip of land that connects Coronado to Imperial Beach/San Diego called the Silver Strand. It's the looooong way around.

Here is a pic with names of some of the bases that I added. There is a Naval Air Facility down in Imperial Beach but it is not pictured.
  7. Regular Member
    Dh was at Balboa for 2 years. We love San Diego! We go back frequently on vacations now because it's so nice.

There is military housing in the area, but not much on North Island itself. There is some housing on NI, but I have no idea who lives there. I think there are barracks for unmarried enlisted, and my guess is some officer housing. The base itself is nice. We frequently stay at the Navy Lodge, which is right on the water. They have some really nice beaches, a golf course, bowling alley, movie theater, pizza place, Subway, and then the Exchange and Commissary complex.

San Diego has military housing off the island. When we were stationed there on 2 year orders the wait was 3 years for housing for dh's rank. So we rented a place in Penasquitos. It was very nice! Housing is crazy expensive close to the beach, but more reasonable further inland. Poway has some of the best schools in the state.

And of course there are tons of things to do. It's about an hour and a half to Disneyland, there's Sea World, the zoo, the museums at Balboa park have a free day on Tuesday, Legoland, whale watching, etc etc. We really enjoyed our stay there. Once dh finishes with all of his training, we have plans to go back to stay. You'll love it!
  8. SAILORS WIFE
    SAILORS WIFE
    Jacksonville, fl (orange park) soon to be in San Diego CA
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsV956 View Post
    Hi all, Newbie here. Excited and nervous about upcoming PCS to San Diego. My DH is in the Navy and we have 2 sons ages 18 mos and 2 1/2yrs old. Any info you have about the Coronado are is greatly appreciated. We are currently in Okinawa japan (love it here BTW) and we'll be outta here next weekend and going to visit family in Texas before we head out to San Diego. I look forward to making some friends in the area as well.
    hi im tiffany ..my husband is stationed in coronado....we just moved down here friday and we love it...

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Hey there I am Julie!! I am from Texas but living in San Diego!
  10. Junior Member
    Hi! We are in San Diego also! My husband works in Coronado but he is at the amphibious base. He is a Seabee. We live in Point Loma and it's about a 15-20 minute commute for him.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast