Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a couple of San Diego ?'s

1. Regular Member

Just a couple of San Diego ?'s

Advertisements
    Hi everyone,
    It looks like we will be moving to San Diego early this coming summer. I have kids that will be in all levels of school. Two starting Kindergarden, one in 6th and a freshman in HS. We have pets so our housing choices are a little more limited.
    I've looked at base housing in the area extensively. There are some great threads on it here... Anyway, I need some more info on the upper level schools in the Murphy Canyon area and some information about any of the schools in the Miramar area. I think we'd be okay in either of the military housing available two us in those two locations. If our house here sells fast enough, I could consider moving into a rental, but I don't think we are going to have that option available for a while. I can't even list until after the first of the year since homes here don't sell until spring. It just rains too much to get a decent amount looking at anything.
    Another thing I'm a little concerned about is the actual housing size. I'm moving from my own 2500 sq ft house to something I know will be smaller, but how much smaller, I have no idea. The floor plans on the management website seem sketchy at best.
    Thanks in advance,
    April
  2. Senior Member

I have been in some of the 4 bedroom homes in Murphy Canyon that my friends have lived in and they are big and very nice. The ones I have seen have HUGE laundry rooms with lots of storage and decent sized bedrooms. I am not sure what the square footage would be but they seemed quite roomy to me. That is all I can help with a little. Not sure about the schools, I never lived in those school districts.
  3. Regular Member

The housing around Miramar is kinda big and the schools are pretty good. But the housing on Miramar doesn't allow pets at all. I live over in Mira Mesa Ridge (I think DH's commute to Miramar is less than 10 minutes) and here it's 1 cat, but no dogs.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    housing on Miramar does allow pets. I used to live there. The single family homes allow dogs and cats. The townhomes just recently started allowing cats I believe. They have to be spayed or neutered. I loved my townhome on Miramar but ultimatly we bought a house a bit up north because my kids needed a yard and in the townhome we didnt have one. And at the time I lived there, not even cats were allowed in the townhomes. Just in the single family homes and they were directly in my backyard so my kids could see the dogs and such lol.

It was convienent in the fact EVERYTHING is on base. I never had to leave the base for anything. But the elemtantry school my son would of attended was rated a 3 on greatschools and I wasnt thrilled with that. Also there is no bus system for schools so you have to take em to and from school unless you pay for the youth centers before and after school programs which can get pricey. And the schools are not on base, they are out in town in Mira Mesa.
  5. Regular Member

How long ago did you live here? We got into housing a year ago and they told us no dogs on Miramar, which is why we went with Mira Mesa Ridge instead. No dogs here, either, but at least we don't live directly on base (which neither of us wanted).

We live right across the street from the elementary school in Mira Mesa. I feel kinda bad that we don't have kids because I can see the top of the monkey bars from my dining room window and my front yard is one of the playgrounds in the neighborhood. Most kid-friendly house ever and we are one of the only childless families on the block.
  6. Senior Member
    Um I live in Tierrasanta which is the civilian neighborhood that surrounds the Murphy Canyon housing.

We are moving to Japan sometime in May-July (no exact date yet) and will be putting our place up for rent when we leave.

I don't know what you are looking to pay, but if you are interested in details, PM me. 2000sqft, 3 bed, 3 bath. No yard though. And we would consider allowing pets.

I know you still need to list and sell your place, but we are a long way out from leaving, so it might end up working.
  7. Senior Member
    I live in Murphy Canyon. Some of the places have large yards (large by San Diego standards) others not so much. My 4 bedroom is right around 1700 sq ft (I believe).

De Portola and Farb middle school share boundaries in which Murphy Canyon falls. My son is in middle school and attends De Portola. It is hard to get into, but worth the fight and wait IMO. It is the traditional schedule, where as Farb is year round. They have a wonderful foundation in place that helps to pay for things at the school, where funding is desperately lacking. I will tell you chances are whereever you are coming from you will be shocked at how dire funding within this district is. I know I was and we came from Mississippi!

There are two elementary schools within Murphy Canyon, Hancock and Miller. I have heard alot of mixed reviews. I thought Hancock was a bit chaotic (even for an elementary school) when I dropped in last summer when we moved in. I choiced my girls into Vista Grande Elementary. We LOVE it! Again they have a hard working foundation in place to help supplement budget shortfalls.

Both Vista Grande and De Portola have high, high, high parental involvement/volunteers. This helps teachers/staff have more time to focus on the students.

If you go to the sandi.net there is a link on there that will tell you all about the CHOICE program. But a summarized version is if you don't like your neighborhood school you can apply to attend another San Diego school. There are also charter, magnet, and homeschool options. I've heard wonderful things about Audeo, which is was our plan B had we not of got my son into De Portola. A close friend of mine chose Audeo Charter over sending her high school students to Serra. Her son attends Taft Middle, but she would have preferred to have gotten him into De Portola.

FYI for you and any other parents in San Diego that will have kindergarteners in the fall and are looking for a good elementary, Vista Grande needs kinders. As a rule; if they enroll your kinder they will make room for older elementary aged siblings. The principal is very proactive in keeping siblings together.

Not sure if learning disabilities are an issue in your home, but they do offer those services there, as does De Portola. My kindergartener recieves speech and OT services at Vista. Vista Grande was also one of the very few elementary schools on the list of schools for my friend to choose for her daughter who has extreme learning disabilities (she requires an aide/assistant, has hearing loss, extreme speech delays, and attention/comprehension issues).

There are also rentals in and around the Tierrasanta Neighborhood, but I'm not sure of the going rate for rent.

Good luck and PM me if you have anymore specific questions.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    How long ago did you live here? We got into housing a year ago and they told us no dogs on Miramar, which is why we went with Mira Mesa Ridge instead. No dogs here, either, but at least we don't live directly on base (which neither of us wanted).

We live right across the street from the elementary school in Mira Mesa. I feel kinda bad that we don't have kids because I can see the top of the monkey bars from my dining room window and my front yard is one of the playgrounds in the neighborhood. Most kid-friendly house ever and we are one of the only childless families on the block.
    I just moved outt there in August. There was are no dogs except in select housing areas on Miramar. The single family homes (senior enlisted), officer, and 1 other 1 allow dogs on miramar. Cats just started being allowed in the townhomes last month

ETA they probably told you no dogs because the senior enlisted housing was not done yet. But yes, dogs are and have been allowed on there. The senior enlisted single family homes were done shortly after we moved in. But we couldnt get 1 because we accepted a junior enlisted home and had to move into town first. No way could we do that. So we bought a house up north a little bit and moved in this last august
  9. Regular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaymara View Post
    I just moved outt there in August. There was are no dogs except in select housing areas on Miramar. The single family homes (senior enlisted), officer, and 1 other 1 allow dogs on miramar. Cats just started being allowed in the townhomes last month
    I guess whatever they had open when we went didn't allow dogs. Seems like the waiting list for housing that allows dogs is long (at least from what I've heard) anyway. Since we don't have a dog (I just want one) we just took one of the places they offered us. I'm moving and getting a dog when DH goes to Japan, though. I hate living alone and a dog will make good company.

Just saw your edit. My husband is a corporal, so we probably don't qualify for the Miramar housing that allows dogs.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    I guess whatever they had open when we went didn't allow dogs. Seems like the waiting list for housing that allows dogs is long (at least from what I've heard) anyway. Since we don't have a dog (I just want one) we just took one of the places they offered us. I'm moving and getting a dog when DH goes to Japan, though. I hate living alone and a dog will make good company.

Just saw your edit. My husband is a corporal, so we probably don't qualify for the Miramar housing that allows dogs.
    yea animals are good company. we bought this house and he deployed shortly there after so I got a dog and cat I adopted from the shelter the kids adore em
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast