Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about car inspection, San Diego

1. Senior Member

Confused Question about car inspection, San Diego

Advertisements
    Hi,
    I'm a mainly a lurker here, I'm too shy to post much. I have a question and I hope that someone here can answer it.
    Does California require an annual vehicle inspection? I've checked the DMV website and don't see anything about it. We have our car registered in TX, and dh is stationed in San Diego. TX requires annual inspection, and the inspection sticker expires on his car this month. Do we need to get it inspected in CA? Thanks in advance!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Hi Merri! As far as I know, you have to get an inspection to get registered, and to get stickers to get on base. Does your car have any modifications or is it old or anything? If so, you might want to just keep it registered in TX? Ours is registered in WY and have been since he has been in.
  3. Senior Member
    The car is old, so we need to keep it registered in TX. It has stickers for the base already. TX law requires the annual inspection on all vehicles, even those with out of state registrations. So I was wondering if CA rules are the same.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ohhh, I see. Well I know they require it for stickers... not sure about annually. Our cars are registered out of state and that state doesn't require it. Maybe someone else can help you! Good luck!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    THe only inspection I know of is smog and that is done every two years. If your car passed it for San Diego base decals then i'm sure it will pass for CA too. HTH.
    Last edited by piggypunkinetta; 09-26-2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: can't spell
  6. Senior Member
    That is what I needed to know, thanks!
  7. Senior Member
    Nope, no state inspection in California. You do need a smog check to get base stickers but thats the only time i had to have my car inspected. Don't worry about your Texas inspection expiring. Mine expired in January of 04 and no one has said anything to me and I keep my car registered in Texas. You just have to have it reinspected within 3 days of returning to Texas. HTH!
    Under construction...

Actually highlighting everything and hitting delete was a lot easier than fixing what was here....

I'll think of something clever to put here someday....
  8. Senior Member
    I was thinking that we will probably just take the sticker off when it expires then. It seems strange that CA doesn't do an annual inspection.
  9. Cher
    Quote Originally Posted by piggypunkinetta View Post
    THe only inspection I know of is smog and that is done every two years. If your car passed it for San Diego base decals then i'm sure it will pass for CA too. HTH.

But since you're military you don't even need to worry about the smog tests in CA. The only thing CA needs to know is that it's registered in TX.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cher View Post

But since you're military you don't even need to worry about the smog tests in CA. The only thing CA needs to know is that it's registered in TX.
    She will if she needs new base stickers. Thats the only time I needed to have one done.
    Under construction...

Actually highlighting everything and hitting delete was a lot easier than fixing what was here....

I'll think of something clever to put here someday....