Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cali or San Diego Ladies

1. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!

Cali or San Diego Ladies

Advertisements
    Please explain to me why there are Traffic Lights on the ON RAMP to get on to the Freeway? My landlord told me it was because during rush hour they only allow 2 cars at a time on the Freeway, to help with traffic, but wont it back up traffic into town? Just Curious cause I ran one yesterday at like 2pm... I didnt know what it was for.... I was getting my speed up to get onto I-5.
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    it is to control traffic!
    Q: Why are there signals installed at some freeway onramps?

A:
    Stopping cars momentarily at on-ramps can save motorists several minutes per trip because overall freeway congestion is reduced. "Ramp meters" are a familiar sight to California motorists, having made their debut in 1966 at the intersection of Routes 5 and 14 in northern Los Angeles County. Since then, the ubiquitous signals at urban on-ramps have helped regulate the smooth flow of vehicles on to the freeway and thereby ensure that freeways operate at maximum capacity. Today, more than 1,000 ramp meters are in operation statewide. Recently, the concept of metering has been expanded to help alleviate congestion at freeway interchanges, which have traditionally experienced some of the worst congestion on the freeway system. Freeway-to-freeway connector ramp meters were first put in use in 1978 along the westbound Route 94 corridor in San Diego. In 1992, a freeway-to-freeway connector ramp meter was installed in Los Angeles County at the transition from southbound Route 5 and westbound Route 110. The Glenn Anderson (105) Freeway is the first freeway to employ connector ramp metering on full interchanges when it opened in 1993. These signals in some cases employ the traditional red-amber-green signalization typical of local street intersections, rather than the red-green lights more common on on-ramp meters. Connector ramp meters were put in place at four interchanges along Interstate 105: At the San Diego (405) Freeway, the Harbor (110) Freeway, the Long Beach (710) Freeway and the San Gabriel River (605) Freeway. Flashing overhead warning signs alert motorists that the meters are ahead as they make the transition from one freeway to another. Sensors embedded in the pavement are linked to computers, which will adjust the meters automatically to optimize the movement of traffic through the interchange. Motorists come to appreciate the value of ramp meters when they don't work -- on the few occasions when they have been shut off due to malfunction or maintenance, allowing cars to enter the freeway at random, freeway traffic can backup for miles.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/faq/faq66.htm
  3. Suck it, Trebek!
    Suck it, Trebek!
    Wait... other places don't have traffic lights on their on-ramps?!
  4. Member
    it wasn't on at 2 p.m. so don't worry you didn't run it! they are only on during rush hours
    DH ~ I did inventory, you have my heart, Killy has my DNA, and the army has my body.
    Wifey to Fashionista

5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniellica View Post
    Wait... other places don't have traffic lights on their on-ramps?!

LMAO!!!! I'm trying to think. I'm just so used to the ramp meters that I can't remember what other places have or don't have them.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Wife View Post
    it wasn't on at 2 p.m. so don't worry you didn't run it! they are only on during rush hours
    Ya! They're not on 24/7!

7. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Ya! They're not on 24/7!

Yea but the light was red......
    Oh yea places like Dallas and Houston dont have them... I called my mom and told her about it and she nearly fell out of the chair laughing bc there are Lights for the on-ramp...
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbellwillis View Post
    Yea but the light was red......
    Oh yea places like Dallas and Houston dont have them... I called my mom and told her about it and she nearly fell out of the chair laughing bc there are Lights for the on-ramp...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

My husband says there are ramp meters in Harrisburg, PA, but in less densely populated cities they aren't present.
  9. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Thats wierd bc Houston is in the Top 5 of the largest cities in the US. I know Honolulu needs 'em!
    Oh well... guess its something I will have to get used too... Now when I move to a city that doesnt have them, Im going to end up stopping on the on-ramp waiting on a damn light!
  10. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbellwillis View Post
    Thats wierd bc Houston is in the Top 5 of the largest cities in the US. I know Honolulu needs 'em!
    Oh well... guess its something I will have to get used too... Now when I move to a city that doesnt have them, Im going to end up stopping on the on-ramp waiting on a damn light!

LOL!!! The light is like a 2 second light. It's not as long of a wait as it would be on a regular street light.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast