Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Info on San Diego and surrounding areas

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Info on San Diego and surrounding areas

Advertisements
    If you're somewhat familiar with the city and suburbs of San Diego, give us a brief run down of the areas you love the most and the areas that you'd probably avoid living in and why.

I thought this would be extremely helpful to those who are looking to move out into town and rent/buy outside of military housing. I know I've gotten flooded with PM's from people who are curious about the different areas, and it would be awesome if we could just keep this stickied and ongoing.

So, let's hear your favorite and least favorite places, and where you'd ideally like to be in this area if you were to move out into town.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Okay, and can I just add this link from the city data forum Brandi? This thread was informative and invaluable to me when I was a SD newb trying to figure out where to live, and I saved it:

Forgot to add the SD forum link:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/

Areas to avoid in San Diego
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html
  3. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    I second that site Cocoa.

We live in the Lakeside area in military housing and have NO problems at all. It's a small redneck town (no offense to the rednecks out there)..
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm from San Diego, born and raised! If anyone has any specific questions about certain areas feel free to ask me
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
    Okay, and can I just add this link from the city data forum Brandi? This thread was informative and invaluable to me when I was a SD newb trying to figure out where to live, and I saved it:

Areas to avoid in San Diego
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html
    WOW! What a read! You should have shared that long ago. Bish.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If I were single or married and childless, I would live in Imperial Beach, Downtown SD (Little Italy, Gaslamp).

Married with children and quite frankly, not having a ton of money, our options were far more limited.

I really liked the newer, more built up part of Mira Mesa. I guess it's closer to the 15, while the older area is closer to the 805. Lots of shopping, restaurants, IMAX theater, etc., and the schools rate about a 7 on average, which was fine with me. Ultimately, we decided not to move there because my husband had his heart set on Coronado.

I haven't spent a significant amount of time there, but I hear the Eastlake and Otay Ranch areas of Chula Vista are safe and trendy with decent schools.

If you go north up the five, you'll hit areas such as Carmel, La Jolla, Encinitas, etc, all which has a surprisingly reasonable rental market and stellar 8 and 9+ rated schools. I really liked Encinitas and Cardiff by the Sea.

Um....going up the 15 North, Mira Mesa, Poway, and Rancho Bernardo. The latter two have excellent 9+ school districts, and the rental market is also reasonable but ... we could find all of those qualities much closer to my husband's job, and we didn't see a real reason to move 20-30 miles away to pay the same in rent. The school district wasn't worth it to us.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    WOW! What a read! You should have shared that long ago. Bish.
    I thawt that I DID!

I've never seen the word "ghetto" be thrown around so much. Hilarity.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    One of those threads said University Heights was a bad area, Not IMO if I could live in North Park or University Heights I would. They are close to Hillcrest (the gay community) a lot of the homes are old 1920 craftman style houses. Plus they're both up and coming areas that have lots of resturants and recently opened a theater (for plays and ballet) When Im not at home in MC Im in North Park at my moms house
  9. Senior Member
    the south of the 8 thing is crap :S
    eastlake is super nice and where i live in chula vista is awesome there are some really nice parts of CV the more south you get the worse it gets but i LOVE living here

10. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    On that thread, the say the same things about Lakeside, but, we've lived here for 2 weeks now and have had no problems at all...
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast