Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Info on San Diego and surrounding areas

1. Yup I turned 30, and my clock ticks every now and again.
    Yup I turned 30, and my clock ticks every now and again.
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma*Becca View Post
    One of those threads said University Heights was a bad area, Not IMO if I could live in North Park or University Heights I would. They are close to Hillcrest (the gay community) a lot of the homes are old 1920 craftman style houses. Plus they're both up and coming areas that have lots of resturants and recently opened a theater (for plays and ballet) When Im not at home in MC Im in North Park at my moms house
    I live in "South Park" (near Golden Hill and North Park) and I it. There are a ton of great restaurants around, easy freeway access, etc.

I would not live further south/east though (twoards downtown) or South (twoards base) as those areas can get sketchy.
    “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.”
  2. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Ok as a person who has been here since I was 7 and in the public school system as a kid and now with children of my own in schools here I will tell you my opinions. When we 1st lived her and up until 9th grade I lived in University City. I loved it there great quiet neighborhood and the schools were SD school district but I enjoyed it. Very mixed group of kids at the Jr. High kids were bused in from all over. In the 2nd half of 9th grade we moved to Carmel Valley (east of Del Mar). I went to Torrey Pines High. I loved that area. I was the only one it seems that didn't drive a bmw to school but still enjoyed it. I had a horse and would go ride him after school and also got to do horseback riding for PE which was very cool.
    I stayed between Carmel Valley and Solana beach being single after HS. I had my 1st son at 22 and moved to a rental in CV and did home daycare there and moved between two homes for 10 yrs in that area. Del Mar School district is a great district. Little more high end but a good neighborhood.
    I moved to Carmel Mtn. RAnch area after divorce and still live in the area now. I LOVE IT here. I honestly love the Poway school district. We have talked about buying right now elsewhere cause of the market right now but we are not going to. We are sticking to this area for sure until my oldest is out of HS. He has some boderline ADHD and dysgraphia and honestly this is probably one of the best districts for that sort of thing. There special Ed dept is excellent. When I lived in Carmel Valley we had a few good friends that were having there kids bused to this area for the Special Ed. Services.
    We live in an ok area rent is not high price and can buy a home...about 1400sqft for middle 200s right now over here if we wanted. Yes size isn't as much for the money but its really worth it for the area in my opinion. I love that Poway is right here and RB I honestly don't want to live anywhere else. My parents live in La Jolla and have for a long time now and I like it there but its expensive and the attitudes aren't our thing.
    We have a LOT of military current and retired up here. In fact our neighbor has 2 autistic kids and in the EFMP and they are not moving due to there kids status. He drives everyday down to coronado. In fact at my middle child's school there are TONS of military families there.
    I wouldn't put my kids in the San Diego School District. If I had to move I would scrape and do what I could and put them back at Horizon Christian. Or if I had to put them in charter/homeschool.
    I love North County. I wouldn't mind putting them up more north but I honestly haven't done a lot of research of the areas. As a teen I hung out in Solana beach, on up to Carlsbad a lot.
    Ok that was long.
  3. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SWOsgirlSanDiego View Post
    I live in "South Park" (near Golden Hill and North Park) and I it. There are a ton of great restaurants around, easy freeway access, etc.

I would not live further south/east though (twoards downtown) or South (twoards base) as those areas can get sketchy.
    I agree with not living close to base. Just from driving around... but, that's my opinion.
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I grew up in Bonita. I loved my suburb! Crime was low in my area growing up, and it still seems to be the same...

Schools are great too!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bonita-California.html
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by aelsass View Post
    Ok as a person who has been here since I was 7 and in the public school system as a kid and now with children of my own in schools here I will tell you my opinions. When we 1st lived her and up until 9th grade I lived in University City. I loved it there great quiet neighborhood and the schools were SD school district but I enjoyed it. Very mixed group of kids at the Jr. High kids were bused in from all over. In the 2nd half of 9th grade we moved to Carmel Valley (east of Del Mar). I went to Torrey Pines High. I loved that area. I was the only one it seems that didn't drive a bmw to school but still enjoyed it. I had a horse and would go ride him after school and also got to do horseback riding for PE which was very cool.
    I stayed between Carmel Valley and Solana beach being single after HS. I had my 1st son at 22 and moved to a rental in CV and did home daycare there and moved between two homes for 10 yrs in that area. Del Mar School district is a great district. Little more high end but a good neighborhood.
    I moved to Carmel Mtn. RAnch area after divorce and still live in the area now. I LOVE IT here. I honestly love the Poway school district. We have talked about buying right now elsewhere cause of the market right now but we are not going to. We are sticking to this area for sure until my oldest is out of HS. He has some boderline ADHD and dysgraphia and honestly this is probably one of the best districts for that sort of thing. There special Ed dept is excellent. When I lived in Carmel Valley we had a few good friends that were having there kids bused to this area for the Special Ed. Services.
    We live in an ok area rent is not high price and can buy a home...about 1400sqft for middle 200s right now over here if we wanted. Yes size isn't as much for the money but its really worth it for the area in my opinion. I love that Poway is right here and RB I honestly don't want to live anywhere else. My parents live in La Jolla and have for a long time now and I like it there but its expensive and the attitudes aren't our thing.
    We have a LOT of military current and retired up here. In fact our neighbor has 2 autistic kids and in the EFMP and they are not moving due to there kids status. He drives everyday down to coronado. In fact at my middle child's school there are TONS of military families there.
    I wouldn't put my kids in the San Diego School District. If I had to move I would scrape and do what I could and put them back at Horizon Christian. Or if I had to put them in charter/homeschool.
    I love North County. I wouldn't mind putting them up more north but I honestly haven't done a lot of research of the areas. As a teen I hung out in Solana beach, on up to Carlsbad a lot.
    Ok that was long.

I forgot all about University City too! I really like it up there.

Mission Valley is nice, as is Ocean Beach and Point Loma, but some of the neighborhoods and schools can be reallly iffy, which is why I avoided it all together.

The problem with San Diego is rental market vs. homebuying market. Renting, I think most of us can afford to live in nice neighborhoods while sending our kids to some of the best schools, and there are a TON of options. The homebuying market however, it limits you severely.
  6. To die and come back as a leotard?
    To die and come back as a leotard?
    Blog Entries
    Coronado is the poop, I love it here. Almost no crime rate what-so-ever, we are right next to the beach, shopping is close.... I like it because its out of the way of all the hustle and bustle, but also right in the middle of it Oh and the school district from what I understand is fantastic.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by abbienikol View Post
    Coronado is the poop, I love it here. Almost no crime rate what-so-ever, we are right next to the beach, shopping is close.... I like it because its out of the way of all the hustle and bustle, but also right in the middle of it Oh and the school district from what I understand is fantastic.
    Meh. It's just okay.
  8. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by abbienikol View Post
    Its good but there is better. Coronado is beautiful and we go a lot but it is such a big tourist area, as is La Jolla .
  9. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post

I forgot all about University City too! I really like it up there.

Mission Valley is nice, as is Ocean Beach and Point Loma, but some of the neighborhoods and schools can be reallly iffy, which is why I avoided it all together.

The problem with San Diego is rental market vs. homebuying market. Renting, I think most of us can afford to live in nice neighborhoods while sending our kids to some of the best schools, and there are a TON of options. The homebuying market however, it limits you severely.
    I agree a lot with that comment especially. However as a lot are doing even this area I am in you can buy a house for 1/2 of what you could even just a couple years ago. Having tried two school districts and private school with my poor 15yr old this school district has got the best fit for us right now. Even if that means we are stuck renting for awhile longer. The school has a good blend of kids to which is nice. DH also likes the "small town feel" that is over here. We LOVE Poway and the parks and stuff. I love the fact that less than 2 miles from our house there are horse trails and almost on any given day there are horseback riders at the stoplight...they even have the buttons for riders to push to cross the street. We are looking forward to putting our youngest in the 4H program over here and my middle son loves the little league. My oldest was on a swim team over here and plans on trying out for the HS team next year.
    Mission Valley and that area is nice your right but yeah schools are very iffy.
    University City is a nice area. Now its become a lot more expensive than it was before though. It is very nice and the schools aren't bad, but its still SD school District.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by aelsass View Post
    Its good but there is better. Coronado is beautiful and we go a lot but it is such a big tourist area, as is La Jolla .
    I dislike Coronado and kick myself daily for moving here, but actually, the touristy aspect of it doesn't bother me at all. It's pretty slow most of the year, and in the summer, the tourists are condensed to a small area--so they really don't get in the way of local life.

In fact, during the tourist season is the only time I can really tolerate this place, because it shows some semblance of diversity.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast