Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we probably won't move to Temecula after all

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Why we probably won't move to Temecula after all

Advertisements
    It is NOT because of the commute and NOT because of the weather.

We have two children who will be in preschool next year, a 3 year old and a 4 year old. We have been researching all of the preschools in Temecula and visiting them and we discovered something. To have them both in a decent non-religious preschool, well, we just can't afford it. It would be $1000-$1200 a month for both kids for three 1/2 days a week (just 8:30-12:30, MWF). Some of the religious preschools were cheaper but they were very religious and we just couldn't handle that. The one state preschool in Temecula got very bad reviews.

One of the preschool admins told us to look into NACCRRA because a lot of military families use them to help w/ preschool and childcare costs in Temecula. I had already called them when I was in the hospital and needed help w/ childcare costs, and there was a fellow Marine wife in the hospital who was receiving $1000/month from them for her DD's preschool, even though she only needed $650 (she used the rest for a YMCA membership and other things). Well, I called the military rep for them (Ollie Smith is her name if any of you want to call), and she said if my children were in a public childcare I would probably only be eligible for $50/month, at the most the Navy will give $200/month in rare cases, but they usually only gave out $50/month, but since my kids were on a military installation (or if you receive a subsidy of any kind) we weren't eligible for any aid. She said the Navy just doesn't have the budget the Marines have.

So we really can't afford that. There's more options for military families in SD.
    Aubrey

RIP Jeremy 3/17/78 - 1/16/09
  2. Senior Member
    theres preschools on base have you looked into that?
  3. Senior Member
    Preschool costs are killer in CA. I can't get over what they expect people can afford. Have you thought about maybe pre-schooling at home and then putting them in school in Kindergarten?
  4. Banned
    Banned
    What about Head Start? I miss Temecula
  5. Senior Member
    I think I got really lucky find that preschool right there by your house. I couldn't imagine having to look and look and look and then pay that much. No way. She just wouldn't have gone.
  6. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
    Preschool costs are killer in CA. I can't get over what they expect people can afford. Have you thought about maybe pre-schooling at home and then putting them in school in Kindergarten?
    That was our only "acceptable" option.. Preschool is WAY too expensive out here, so I homeschooled her.. She's starting public kindergarten this upcoming school year.

I hope you find something that works for your family. For some reason I thought you guys had already bought out in Temecula.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Ramos View Post
    theres preschools on base have you looked into that?
    The closest base in Pendleton, which would be about a 45 minute drive to their main facilities I think. I'm not sure where their preschool is on base (if they have one) but if they do it would probably be about a 45 minute drive.

Quote Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
    My kids are extremely shy (which they probably got from me), and this extra socialization and other skills they learn in preschool I think is really important for them. The academics I know I could teach them on my own, but it's things like playing with other kids, circle time, learning to sit in a classroom like setting, listening to a teacher, etc, that I really want them to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCrotch View Post
    What about Head Start? I miss Temecula
    Temecula ditched it's Head Start program (I don't think we qualify anyway), and most of it's other low income programs, including Even Start and others. It's one state preschool has an overflowing waiting list and has terrible, terrible reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I think I got really lucky find that preschool right there by your house. I couldn't imagine having to look and look and look and then pay that much. No way. She just wouldn't have gone.
    Yep, here at NTC they have that state preschool right here which is great if we can get them in there. Which is why I don't really want to move now, even though we really want to buy a house. So conflicted!
    Aubrey

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    That was our only "acceptable" option.. Preschool is WAY too expensive out here, so I homeschooled her.. She's starting public kindergarten this upcoming school year.

I hope you find something that works for your family. For some reason I thought you guys had already bought out in Temecula.
    We haven't finalized yet, so we can still back out. We're weighing it right now.
    Aubrey

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    the CDC's here on base are WAY to expensive for us and i said nope homeschooling till we get new orders and see what we face then.. easier on us money wise too(uniforms are 60 bucks each!!!) we are in MD. I didn't even think to call for help in regards to childcare Aubrey...... and i am one hat cant drive ..... sight issues suck : mumble
  10. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by aubrey View Post
    We haven't finalized yet, so we can still back out. We're weighing it right now.
    Best of luck to you guys on whatever you decide!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast