Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location: Ft. Huachuca, AZ

1. cassiekist

Advertisements
    Housing:
    There isn't very much housing, and it's about a years wait on the housing list to get into housing. Though they are building new houses right now. We lived off base, but there are some good apartment places, though some don't take allotments. And most people that do live here for the military live in hotels.

Schools:
    Can't say much about the schools...i don't have any children that go to school.

Shopping:
    The commisary and PX are ok, but they could be bigger with more stuff. We shop both on base and off. Though there aren't very many good places to shop here in Sierra Vista, the good places are up in Tucson.

Cost of living:
    Cost of living here is kinda high, but maybe thats just me. We had to decide if we really wanted that brand or another, like bread back at Ft. Bragg was like about $1, here its about $2.

Military Community:
    The community pretty nice once you get to know people, but there are some nosey neighbors. Yes there are some good resources, but not much will help the spouse of the servicemember. For some reason they pretty much look down on you, like you are no good. And this is a very huge party place for the EIT and AIT students.

Recreation:
    Wow there's so very little to do here for both adults and kids. They have horseback riding, mountain hiking, and thats about it really. Everything fun is about 2 hours away,

Weather:
    It is always hot, but there is a monsoon season. Which gives it a nice change. So it's not so hot, but it still stays in the 70'-80's. And at night its nice and cool.

Overall:
    No i would never come back here. There is so little to do here and it is so boring. I really dont like anything about this place.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

thanks for the review
  3. Janetrivs
    I have been here way too long.. since 2001 when I did training here.. and when DH went to Korea.. I opted to stay here.. SO THANK GOD WE ARE LEAVING..

But With DH's MOS.. we WILL ALWAYS TEND TO COME BACK HERE for training or something..

JANET

Quote Originally Posted by cassiekist
    Housing:
    There isn't very much housing, and it's about a years wait on the housing list to get into housing. Though they are building new houses right now. We lived off base, but there are some good apartment places, though some don't take allotments. And most people that do live here for the military live in hotels.

Yea-- the housing areas suck.. long wait. the houses are put up quickly-- xeriscaping (rock in place of grass) was done poorly.. weeds going thru the rocks etc. For the new houses it is expensive to clear.... it is still pricey to clear out of the older ones as well.

Schools:

On post-- I here is wonderful from a few of my friends-- just put rebuilt one elementary and the other one wil be done by the next school year. Middle school on post has a dress code. High Schoolers-- go off post to Buena HIgh

Shopping:
    The commisary and PX are ok, but they could be bigger with more stuff. We shop both on base and off. Though there aren't very many good places to shop here in Sierra Vista, the good places are up in Tucson.
    Mallwise-- we have a hallway-- of nothing! YOU CANNOT GET A DECENT HAIRCUT IN THIS TOWN NOR A GOOD PEDICURE MANICURE!

For the ppl who scrapbook-- just got a new lil store here.

DO NOT BUY A CAR HERE FROM LAWLEY--- take the extra drive to Tucson and or Phx... Lawley-- just isnt great with fixing their car issues.. nor communication skills.

THe Commissary and Px are small.... sometimes the produce section is better off in town to shop for.. bc they are always looking smashed.. or just not so good.

There is A walmart, target, kmart some other knick knack stores.

If you like Starbucks.. only in Safeway (grocery store) and or Target

Cost of living:
    Cost of living here is kinda high, but maybe thats just me. We had to decide if we really wanted that brand or another, like bread back at Ft. Bragg was like about $1, here its about $2.

I dont know.. we live on post..

Military Community:
    The community pretty nice once you get to know people, but there are some nosey neighbors. Yes there are some good resources, but not much will help the spouse of the servicemember. For some reason they pretty much look down on you, like you are no good. And this is a very huge party place for the EIT and AIT students.

HUGE PARTYING IT UP-- in the local bars-- some are nice.. and some... not so much-- I been to a few.. but.. eh.. so so.

YOu are about 20 minutes from the mexico Border.. so you tend to see illegals and or border patrol around alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wives here some are fabulous and awesome and then you know you will always have those wives who are nosey and always first off ask.. what your hubbys rank is.. and or gossip about everyone and everything....

Singal and Intell as well as some aviation is here.. so a good mix of people here. FRG and stuff isnt great or gung ho about stuff as much... but there is a spouses wives club get togethers more along the lines of....

Recreation:
    Wow there's so very little to do here for both adults and kids. They have horseback riding, mountain hiking, and thats about it really. Everything fun is about 2 hours away,

Locally-- there is a movie theatre.. , They have the Cove.. indoor swimming -- wave pool area.. really fun for the younger kids and older kids.. Mommy and Tot time.. for 2 dollars a child .. and adult free with child. They play disney music.. for the younger kids.. so you dont have to worry about the large waves... or older kids bumping into lil ones.. along with some disney/kid music playing.

TOMBSTONE (the western movie) bird cage theatre.. is about 15 minutes drive.. it is fun-- they do have gunfights and you can take oldies pics.. the bar saloon type-- you can see the old cemetaries here as well. It is interesting.. you tend to come here alot when family visits.. it gets old after the second visit.

BISBEE MINES-- you can take a tour of the bisbee mines and etc.. you ride a train like thing thru the mountains.. etc.. and actually go thru the mtns.. I havent been personally....

Katrner Caverns-- is a live Cave..with stalactites and stalgmites growing -- very humid.. and very interesting.. they are very anal in there about not touching stuff not so great with the younger kids.. so hold em tight and close.. no strollers allowed

scared to harm the habitat and the cave.. die or howver you want to call it.....

ON POST has alot of MWR programs.. my husband was the head coach for wrestling since 2003. Along, with baseball, soccor, taekwon do.. etc. MOST has to be at the age of 5 before you can do anything else though...

aerobics classes-- are awesome.. cardio kickboxing /step aerobics are free.. pilates are 3.00 a class.. fun and a good kick in the butt....

if you like the outdoors, you can go hiking etc in the mountains.. they are beautiful.. the sunsets and sunrises are the best..

for the kiddies-- tha parks around here on post are nice..

Shopping wise--- either online or going to tucson (45 minutes) or Phoenix (3 hour drive) for some fun... both places have a zoo.. and some nice shopping areas.... waterparks are in the there as well

Weather:
    It is always hot, but there is a monsoon season. Which gives it a nice change. So it's not so hot, but it still stays in the 70'-80's. And at night its nice and cool.

It can get to the over 100's around here..but no humidity so it is a dry heat. Normally though IN the high 90's --You can wear shorts at times during months of November / DEC. We are higher in elevation so it is cooler.. but once you get to Tucson and PHX there can be a good 10 degree hotter difference or even more......

MOnsoon (very rainy) season is a lil around mid July for about a month or two -- lots of rain.. but nice change.. Sometimes it will sporatically snow around here maybe months of jan or Feb.. but when the sun is up it melts it doesnt stick...

Oh yeah-- bugs are magnified and bigger by like 10 times. YUCK!

Overall:
    No i would never come back here. There is so little to do here and it is so boring. I really dont like anything about this place.

If you like the fast pace life.. city life.. of having stuff near.. then you wont like it so much..

But if you like the country and not very cold winters.. outdoors.. this place is wonderful sort of TO EACH HIS OWN.

THE MUSIC STATIONS ARENT GREAT EITHER!!!!!!
  4. Janetrivs
    decent restaurants--

Golden Corral
    Pofolks (awesome sweet tea)
    pizza hut bistro (awesome sweet tea)
    johnny carinos
    outback
    applebees
    chilis
    Lacasita mexican restaurant
  5. cassiekist
    yeah i hear ya...probably for my hubbys job as well. what does your hubby do?
  6. Janetrivs
    33W intell systems repairer...
  7. alym
    "Housing:

Schools:

Shopping:

Cost of living:

Military Community:

Recreation:

Weather:

Overall:
    No i would never come back here. There is so little to do here and it is so boring. I really dont like anything about this place."

DITTO:
    except the cost of living. on the west coast it's higher.. some other places it's higher.. my hometown Kihei, Maui.. DEFINATELY HIGHER.

"decent restaurants--

Golden Corral
    Pofolks (awesome sweet tea)
    pizza hut bistro (awesome sweet tea)
    johnny carinos
    outback
    applebees
    chilis
    Lacasita mexican restaurant"

Decent restaurants:
    Applebees
    Saporro
    the mash house
    siam express
    china #1 (for takeout)
    smugglers
    super king buffet
    china inn buffet
    miyabi
    sakura
  8. cassiekist
    really...how is where youre from? is there a lot to do there?
  9. Janetrivs
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiekist
    really...how is where youre from? is there a lot to do there?

are you asking me??!?! bit confused on who you were talking to?!?!
  10. cassiekist
    sure...lol...i'll ask both of ya. but i was really asking alym...lol. sorry for confusing you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast