Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 29 Palms??

1. Fact: bears eat beets.
    Fact: bears eat beets.
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiser'sBabe View Post
    It's not all that bad. Yeah it is dry, hot, and tons of sand, and like no trees. But then again it's not hell. It grows on ya after awhile.
    That's what I've heard.

DB has talked to several guys whose wives really love it there, so that's encouraing.

He absolutely hated it when he got there. He said the first thing he thought was, "I could never live here! Oh wait...I have to..."

Except for 9 months at Quantico, he's lived his entire life in MA. I think it'll take some time to adjust.
  2. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahElizabeth View Post
    That's what I've heard.

DB has talked to several guys whose wives really love it there, so that's encouraing.

He absolutely hated it when he got there. He said the first thing he thought was, "I could never live here! Oh wait...I have to..."

Except for 9 months at Quantico, he's lived his entire life in MA. I think it'll take some time to adjust.
    Besides Palms Springs is freaking awesome.
    Siggy under construction!!!
  3. Fact: bears eat beets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiser'sBabe View Post
    Besides Palms Springs is freaking awesome.
    Oh yay! Looks like we'll be spending quite a bit of time in Palm Springs then...
  4. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Oh... I hate to say this but your poor DB may get so bored. 29 Palms doesn't have much to keep him entertained in his off hours and it's super hot right now! Perfect excuse to take vacation and surprise him!!

PS. 29 Palms is in San Bernardino county and I'm from Riverside County (they neighbor each other). Neither are very entertaining.
  5. Fact: bears eat beets.
    Quote Originally Posted by torie. View Post
    Oh... I hate to say this but your poor DB may get so bored. 29 Palms doesn't have much to keep him entertained in his off hours and it's super hot right now! Perfect excuse to take vacation and surprise him!!

PS. 29 Palms is in San Bernardino county and I'm from Riverside County (they neighbor each other). Neither are very entertaining.
    He has mentioned how hot it is there...I hate really really hot weather.

And I think I'm going out there next weekend! I'm not sure if we'll make it to the base since it's not close to a big airport (right?) and we don't want to spend all that time driving.

Any suggestions on what we should do or where we should go?? He thinks I should fly into San Diego or LA. Vegas is out of the question since it's the week before...
  6. Senior Member
    29 palms is all dirt. It isn't a very nice area. My brother was stationed there for 2 years. He hated it! It is soooo hot in the summer and base housing doesn't have air conditioners... only swamp coolers. Yuck. Housing was really nice though.
  7. Senior Member
    You can fly into Ontario also. I think that would be closer than SD and is way closer than LA. You could do Disney or Knotts I don't or you could get a hotel and just hang out.
  8. Fact: bears eat beets.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdlansdale View Post
    You can fly into Ontario also. I think that would be closer than SD and is way closer than LA. You could do Disney or Knotts I don't or you could get a hotel and just hang out.
    I've never heard of Ontario, I'll have to check that out...

Thanks!
  9. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    Let me just do my little rant about 29 palms, if you're visiting, or moving, it doesn't matter.. these are all things you can DO in 29.

i LOVED twentynine Palms. I suddenly became a small town girl when I moved there.

Not only are the mountains beautiful, but so is joshua tree national park

, and the Mojave national preserve on the way to las Vegas. (220 mi away from 29 palms)

Twentynine Palms is 48 miles away from the highway that leads to Palm Springs, rancho Mirage, and Palm Desert. From I-10, that highway, it's anywhere from 10-20 minutes to something fun.

The wind Turbines are fascinating, no matter how long you see them, and you can go up the "tram way" that will totally blow your socks off. (google the words "tram way", first result. Palm Springs Tram way.)

(view from ride up the tram)

There's the Living desert which, IMO is as good as the san diego zoo! It's an outdoor wildlife park, the animals are contained and you get to observe the birds, the butterflies, the vegetation, all in their little habitats.

Welp. if all else fails and you're still sore about being in the desert, drive 3 hours to vegas or san diego.
  10. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcchick712 View Post
    Let me just do my little rant about 29 palms, if you're visiting, or moving, it doesn't matter.. these are all things you can DO in 29.

i LOVED twentynine Palms. I suddenly became a small town girl when I moved there.

Not only are the mountains beautiful, but so is joshua tree national park

, and the Mojave national preserve on the way to las Vegas. (220 mi away from 29 palms)

Twentynine Palms is 48 miles away from the highway that leads to Palm Springs, rancho Mirage, and Palm Desert. From I-10, that highway, it's anywhere from 10-20 minutes to something fun.

The wind Turbines are fascinating, no matter how long you see them, and you can go up the "tram way" that will totally blow your socks off. (google the words "tram way", first result. Palm Springs Tram way.)

(view from ride up the tram)

There's the Living desert which, IMO is as good as the san diego zoo! It's an outdoor wildlife park, the animals are contained and you get to observe the birds, the butterflies, the vegetation, all in their little habitats.

Welp. if all else fails and you're still sore about being in the desert, drive 3 hours to vegas or san diego.
    awesome post. It is such a down to hear people bad mouth it. And base housing DOES have AC. And if you have never lived here do not bad mouth it or a swamp cooler. We have both and swamp cooler works better the AC out here.
    I would fly into Palm springs, there is plenty to do, it's really nice and only 45 mins away from 29 palms.
    Siggy under construction!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast