Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Noob with questions about MCAS Miramar housing

1. guitarchick

Confused Noob with questions about MCAS Miramar housing

Advertisements
    Hi all! I'm a long-time lurker, but not much of a poster. Everyone always has such good questions and helpful answers here, though. I've got a few housing questions that I don't know if anyone can help me with.

My husband and I have lived on Camp Pendleton for the last few years and we will most likely be getting orders to Miramar within the next several months. We hate the thought of moving, but it looks like we will have to.

I am so confused about how housing works at Miramar. It looks like there isn't much housing on base and from what I've read, it looks like a lot of people live off-base. Somehow, browsing around, I got led to Lincoln Property Mgmt's San Diego military housing website...but I was wondering - are these PPV housing areas just for Navy? It looks to me like Marine Corps housing tends to fall in with the Navy in San Diego and the Navy manages it, but that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure.

I'm not thrilled with the prospect of renting in civilian markets because of high crime areas, the cost of housing + utilities, and we also have very young kids that we would like to give a little more room to run than a cramped 2 bedroom apartment (about all we could probably afford nearby). We don't have any pets but fish so that's not an issue.

I was just wondering what others do for housing on Miramar...also, where are the best options for housing if you must live off-base? Thanks in advance to anyone who has more insight into this than I do. I really appreciate it!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarchick View Post
    Hi all! I'm a long-time lurker, but not much of a poster. Everyone always has such good questions and helpful answers here, though. I've got a few housing questions that I don't know if anyone can help me with.

My husband and I have lived on Camp Pendleton for the last few years and we will most likely be getting orders to Miramar within the next several months. We hate the thought of moving, but it looks like we will have to.

I am so confused about how housing works at Miramar. It looks like there isn't much housing on base and from what I've read, it looks like a lot of people live off-base. Somehow, browsing around, I got led to Lincoln Property Mgmt's San Diego military housing website...but I was wondering - are these PPV housing areas just for Navy? It looks to me like Marine Corps housing tends to fall in with the Navy in San Diego and the Navy manages it, but that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure.

I'm not thrilled with the prospect of renting in civilian markets because of high crime areas, the cost of housing + utilities, and we also have very young kids that we would like to give a little more room to run than a cramped 2 bedroom apartment (about all we could probably afford nearby). We don't have any pets but fish so that's not an issue.

I was just wondering what others do for housing on Miramar...also, where are the best options for housing if you must live off-base? Thanks in advance to anyone who has more insight into this than I do. I really appreciate it!
    I have quite a few marines that are just on my street. Housing is handled out of Naval Base San Diego for this area. Lincoln is our PPV.

Here is the link to all the areas around and approx wait times.

http://www.cnrswhousing.navy.mil/mfh/fhousing.htm
  3. guitarchick
    Thank you Donna! I thought that's how it was handled but wasn't sure. My husband kept saying, "No - that's Navy!" lol - DH doesn't like to be wrong. EVER.

I wonder why it says "USMC E6 Personnel eligible WITH cmd end"? I wonder why it just specifies the rank of E6 needing command endorsement? (Assuming that's what CMD END means)
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure what the "CMD END" means either.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    If you're at Miramar, I think you can live at any of the housing areas, and the same goes for people who are stationed elsewhere (they can live on Miramar) so you should have a lot of options when you get here. I look forward to meeting you!
  6. Senior Member
    My husband is stationed at 32nd Street. We're Navy.. But we're in the Pomerado Terrace Housing, which is literally 5 minutes down the street from MCAS. However, they are only 2 and 3 bedroom places. The 3 bedrooms are Town Homes, and above them are the 2 bedroom Appartment like homes. We're in a 2 bedroom, w/ no kids.. And it's very spacy. We have a lot of room. How many kids do you have?? The waiting list isn't too long either, only like 3 months for us. There is also housing ON MCAS, but I am not too sure how long that waiting list is. And then about 5-10 miles South is Murphey Canyon. But that waiting list can be pretty long.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I live on MCAS Miramar. My husband is in the Navy. Any military can reside in any military housing. We live in the townhomes here. We got our housing same day as wehn we got here. I LOVE it here. There is more housing here then you think. There are 4 different areas. There are the new single family homes for senior personal, the townhomes on 1 side of the commisarry, town homes on the other side, another housing area across the street. Much more then there looks.

If you have no pets then I doubt there would be a wait for here and if there was it wouldnt be long. (On miramar) The housing here is awesome. I LOVE my house, I LOVE living on base. I can walk to mine and the kids Dr, commisary, MCX, starbucks, Mcd's, bank, post office, mini-mart, gym, swimming pool, theater and much more. Plus they are putting in a brand new pool, play area and what not that should be done soon. Plus I like you have to have id to get on base or your visitor has to have your addy etc to get on. Makes me feel safe

If you have any questions feel free to ask
  8. guitarchick
    Thanks everyone! Wow - glad to see lots of ladies in San Diego around. My husband is still trying to fight his impending orders. Apparently, they told him there were openings in Okinawa and North Carolina one week and then the next week, the guy said there were none. He's been in Cali so long that he's sick of it so I think we were hoping to see a different corner of the world for awhile.

They told him Miramar is where he'll definitely probably be going. Someone asked: my kids are 2 and 1 (14 months apart so I have my hands full! ). I don't think it will be all that bad. If I wanted to get a job, I would have a TON more options because there's nothing but retail around Pendleton. I really like that Miramar has things like 'Parents' Night Out' because my we haven't gone on a DATE in over six months. The commissary there is also amazing. I actually think I'd like being there over Pendleton.

I saw that some of these places even have air-conditioning! Wow! That nearly had me crying after spending my third summer in De Luz housing where the temperatures got up over 110 several times. We love our housing here for the most part and have a killer view, but hate the no a/c thing (we're not close to the beach so it's miserable). We also have a dishwasher that doesn't work, a fridge with a gap in the door, and live in field mice and snake heaven. I think we'll be glad to leave.

My husband gets free filtered saltwater for our saltwater fish tank at La Jolla which means less of a trip to fill up and keeping tropical fish much less expensive. Yay! I guess it's time to start looking at that housing list and seeing what our best options might be. I might have to call housing and see what they mean about the whole 'USMC E6 Personnel eligible WITH cmd end' means. DH has already been looking at the housing list today and has cast his vote for once place...I don't remember the name of it, but it was supposedly new housing. He said it had detached garages and he'd be lost without his garage - he builds guitars, paints motorcycles, and does leatherworking. There's nothing he doesn't do. He spends a lot of time in his garage workshop so that's really important to him.

Thanks for the info on on-base housing Kaymara! The safety of base is nice to have...as is being close to everything and saving in gas money. It's another thing to consider. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the housing on base. That's reassuring!