Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tell me about Atlanta!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tell me about Atlanta!

Advertisements
    Do we have anyone familiar with Decatur, GA or the greater Atlanta area? Do you like it? Pros? Cons? What are winters like? Does it snow frequently, do the roads ice? Do you need a true winter wardrobe? I have always lived in Florida so I don't know how to winter. I might be moving up there in the next couple months, so I'm trying to do a bit of research.

I Eelizah
  2. Senior Member
    I went to the Coke factory and saw a 4-D movie and tasted every horrible flavor of soda that exists.

That's all I got for you.

I will say, I'm from SC and I would say that yes, it gets cold. Not 5 degrees cold, but a winter wardrobe is necessary, at least sweaters/boots. I'm not sure if GA is as rainy as SC during the winter, but SC gets yucky and gray. There is SO much to do in that area, I hope you make the move if you're able!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I went to the Coke factory and saw a 4-D movie and tasted every horrible flavor of soda that exists.

I will say, I'm from SC and I would say that yes, it gets cold. Not 5 degrees cold, but a winter wardrobe is necessary, at least sweaters/boots. I'm not sure if GA is as rainy as SC during the winter, but SC gets yucky and gray. There is SO much to do in that area, I hope you make the move if you're able!
    I do love Coke! Is it yucky and gray like all the time? Or are there some sunshiny days too?

That'll be a weird adjustment. Usually it only gets really cold here on bright, clear blue sunshiny days.

I Eelizah
  4. Regular Member
    Atlanta is a nice area, but the traffic is horrible. I like to go there and shop and see the Braves play. I live in Upstate SC and Georgia has the same temperatures as us for winters. low 30's high 50's and it does warm up some in March. It doesn't snow very often, last year I think we got snow maybe 2 times? We do have sunshine days in the winter.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post

did you try beverly?? is it as horrible as they say?
  6. Senior Member
    I have only been to Atlanta's airport and Columbus GA a few times. I actually really liked it in Columbus. So green, so many trees, it was nice. I have a friend who moved from Atalanta and states he will never go back. He hated it. I dont think the weather is going to be much different than FL (I could be way wrong) but from what I heard it doesn't snow in Columbus GA, it gets cold and with the humidity makes it seem colder than it is. When I was there is was overcast, but warm and humid. It was tolerable to me but some seemed to have been dying in the heat. LOL. SO and I have actually tossed around moving down there, the southern hospitality is like nothing else and everyone where we live are ignorant assholes.
  7. Senior Member
    I like Atlanta, but I'm not sure if I would be able to live in the heart of it all. I have family right outside of Atlanta in Smyrna and though it is close to Atlanta it still has that small community feeling. There are some really nice neighborhoods on the outskirts of Atlanta and then of course there's ritzy neighborhoods like Buckhead.

Since you're from Florida you will probably be cold in Atlanta's winters. After living in Florida for only 6 months I thought Atlanta was cold around Christmas. They do have some crazy weather and get tornadoes every now and then.

The traffic is awful. So awful. I don't think I could put up with it, but if you get a job away from the hub of everything it should be much better.

And definitely go see the Georgia Aquarium if you haven't. I loved it and would absolutely go again.
  8. Senior Member
    The traffic isn't any worse than any other big city I've been in (San Antonio, Austin, Seattle, etc.) You don't need a true winter wardrobe imo. when we were living in GA it maybe got into the 20s a few times. It rains quite a bit, so boots are good to have though. I loved Atlanta but I'm a city girl. There's a lot to do besides the touristy stuff like the aquarium and the coke museum (both cool though. Don't go to the aquarium during the day, it's too packed. Go when they do their 21+ after hours parties. SO cool, no kids, and booze!) I'd consider Atlanta as a place to live if I didn't hate swamp weather. GA is just miserable in the summers. Too hot, too humid.

9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    The weather isnt too bad here and im also from fl!