Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interracial couples

1. Senior Member

Interracial couples

Advertisements
    Anyone have any problems as an interracial couple in the South? Not the Deep South, more like SC/NC/VA.
  2. Regular Member
    Unfortunately, there is still a lot of latent and patent racism in those states - especially in the mountain areas that I have seen. I hope this is not a question arising from personal experience. If so, I am so sorry.
  3. Senior Member
    No personal experience so far. I really like the area and have been considering a move in the next few years. I am white as Wonderbread and DB is Filipino and Mexican so I was curious about the attitude in those areas. I had a cousin (white) live in SC with his wife (Korean) for a couple years and he said they got some looks. My aunt (white but olive-skinned) and uncle (black) are wary of taking trips to the South because of it.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've never been in an interracial relationship, but I'm from NC and I've never known anyone to have an issue with it. At least not in the Charlotte area.
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    I've never been in an interracial relationship, but I'm from NC and I've never known anyone to have an issue with it. At least not in the Charlotte area.
    woah woah woah, you're in CLT too?!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We lived in Hampton Roads and would go into NC throughout the years we were in VA. DH gets mistaken for being Filipino and Mexican all the time. To the point people have asked if he is sure he knows who his dad is. ODD takes after him and people assume she is Mexican all the time as well. Me on the other hand, I am fair skinned and blonde. Lol We never had any issues.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    woah woah woah, you're in CLT too?!
    Not now I live in Hawaii, but NC is home.
  8. Regular Member
    I am from a backwoods small town in South Carolina and I was in a few different interracial relationships and never had any issues. People are more accepting of it than they used to be. You might get the stares every once in a while (mainly older people) but the South isn't as bad as it used to be. Never had any issues in North Carolina. I have been to charlotte, Raleigh, and a few small towns.
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    DH and I are an interracial couple, we live in South Texas, we've never had anyone give us crazy looks or say anything to us.

There are always going to be people who take issue with something you're doing, whether it's the clothes you wear or the person you date, you just have to do your thing and not worry about what others think.

10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I feel like people make rude comments everywhere ... I've definitely had people say fucked up things to me about my relationship but I don't think it was specifically more common in one area. It's just like every once in a while someone has to show their ass.

I will say I've had more racist stuff said to me as an individual rather than specific comments directed at my relationship. Not sure if people just feel bolder when I'm by myself, or what the deal is there. For those kind of comments, I think they are more common where I live now (Texas) vs. when I lived further up North (St. Louis and Chicago), but I also lived in a smaller town in Texas so maybe that had something to do with it.

However, I agree that you shouldn't let it worry you or stop you from doing anything you want to do!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast