Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayport FL

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Mayport FL

Advertisements
    Tell me everything I need to know about Mayport/ Jacksonville!! DF just got orders to the New York What do we have to see? Where should we avoid etc. I know there have been a few similar threads but most are kind of old. We're debating military housing as well; so does anyone know more than the website does for housing there? Or have pics??

thanks
  2. Senior Member
    We had back to Jax soon....lets see. There are Facebook pages which they combine the bases almost cause they are just close enough. I am not sure about housing since last time we were there we were at NAS and lived out in town. This time we will be at Mayport but still living in town. There should be housing photos on pinterest. I know I know but there should be....I found NAS's on there at least. You might find more information on the Facebook pages. Welcome to FL.
  3. Senior Member
    You really don't want to live anywhere on Mayport Road or near Mayport.. It's not the best/safest area immediately around the base. Venturing about 10 mins from the main gate you'll find some nice neighborhoods.

If you look off Girvin Rd, those are good neighborhoods that are very close to base. I actually lived off Girvin for quite some time and never had any issues. Check the neighborhoods off Ashley Melisse Blvd (just off Girvin) and the neighborhood around Windy Willows Dr. They are mostly starter homes at decent prices and safe neighborhoods.

Also down around Atlantic Blvd and San Pablo Rd, or Atlantic Blvd and Hodges Blvd are some decent apartments. I have personally lived in Woodhollow apartments and would definitely live there again. If you're looking for homes, down San Pablo Rd or Hodges Blvd have some good neighborhoods as well.

Kernan Blvd has some great apartment options, as well as some great neighborhoods.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    We had back to Jax soon....lets see. There are Facebook pages which they combine the bases almost cause they are just close enough. I am not sure about housing since last time we were there we were at NAS and lived out in town. This time we will be at Mayport but still living in town. There should be housing photos on pinterest. I know I know but there should be....I found NAS's on there at least. You might find more information on the Facebook pages. Welcome to FL.
    I asked to be admitted to two different facebook pages still waiting to be approved though. I looked on pinterest for pictures and I only found the ones from the housing website (which suck haha). we're going to go down in February and look to decide what we want to do. When are you going down? Maybe we could meet up for a glass of wine or something!
    Quote Originally Posted by z32chick View Post
    You really don't want to live anywhere on Mayport Road or near Mayport.. It's not the best/safest area immediately around the base. Venturing about 10 mins from the main gate you'll find some nice neighborhoods.

If you look off Girvin Rd, those are good neighborhoods that are very close to base. I actually lived off Girvin for quite some time and never had any issues. Check the neighborhoods off Ashley Melisse Blvd (just off Girvin) and the neighborhood around Windy Willows Dr. They are mostly starter homes at decent prices and safe neighborhoods.

Also down around Atlantic Blvd and San Pablo Rd, or Atlantic Blvd and Hodges Blvd are some decent apartments. I have personally lived in Woodhollow apartments and would definitely live there again. If you're looking for homes, down San Pablo Rd or Hodges Blvd have some good neighborhoods as well.

Kernan Blvd has some great apartment options, as well as some great neighborhoods.
    thank you!! I'll show this list to my DF and keep it in mind when we are looking at houses. We're really leaning away from apartments because of the dogs though.
  5. Senior Member
    Not too sure about onbase housing. They have some REALLY nice ones that are on the beach, which I am not sure how you get those houses, my guess: high ranking and big family. They have duplexes on base, that look like they were built 60 years ago. They also have these townhomes that are off base behind the commissary. I don't know much about those, but they didn't look like a place I would like to live (lol). As much as I would have loved the beach front homes, the gamble of any of those places steered me away. Plus, you can get something out in town for much less than BAH.

We had an apartment off Kernan (The Reserve at Wynnfield Lakes) and LOVED it. The homes over there are also really nice. Not sure what breed of dogs you have, but they are one of the most dog friendly complexes I found. They don't restrict you based upon breed. The were well taken care of and the girls in the office were always nice. They always did a lot of community things to bring people together. I think they went through a change of owners right as we were leaving, but I would still recommend them. I just looked it up they changed their name to Ultris.

Also, look at the town center area, they have recently put some new apartment/homes in that area. It seems like such a fun area to live. You can also try Atlantic Beach and Jax Beach, but being a beach town, those apartment/houses can be pretty pricey for what you get.

Stay away from the Regency mall area and the Westside. If I was Southside I would want a gated community, otherwise I would say no. I work over in southside and while it seems like a nice area and I know several people that live over here. We get a few reports a year about cars getting broken into in the parking lot.

When we bought a house we ended up down south near the Mandarin area, but DH moved to NAS so that worked much better, otherwise the commute from Mayport was over an hour.

Drive around the different areas of town and see what areas you would like to live in. Before I moved out here DH and I spent several afternoons driving around just looking at different areas of town. Jax is HUGE! And has a little pocket for just about everyone, find the one that fits you.
    Last edited by Amanduh; 07-28-2016 at 12:00 PM.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Not too sure about onbase housing. They have some REALLY nice ones that are on the beach, which I am not sure how you get those houses, my guess: high ranking and big family. They have duplexes on base, that look like they were built 60 years ago. They also have these townhomes that are off base behind the commissary. I don't know much about those, but they didn't look like a place I would like to live (lol). As much as I would have loved the beach front homes, the gamble of any of those places steered me away. Plus, you can get something out in town for much less than BAH.

We had an apartment off Kernan (The Reserve at Wynnfield Lakes) and LOVED it. The homes over there are also really nice. Not sure what breed of dogs you have, but they are one of the most dog friendly complexes I found. They don't restrict you based upon breed. The were well taken care of and the girls in the office were always nice. They always did a lot of community things to bring people together. I think they went through a change of owners right as we were leaving, but I would still recommend them. I just looked it up they changed their name to Ultris.

Also, look at the town center area, they have recently put some new apartment/homes in that area. It seems like such a fun area to live. You can also try Atlantic Beach and Jax Beach, but being a beach town, those apartment/houses can be pretty pricey for what you get.

Stay away from the Regency mall area and the Westside. If I was Southside I would want a gated community, otherwise I would say no. I work over in southside and while it seems like a nice area and I know several people that live over here. We get a few reports a year about cars getting broken into in the parking lot.

When we bought a house we ended up down south near the Mandarin area, but DH moved to NAS so that worked much better, otherwise the commute from Mayport was over an hour.

Drive around the different areas of town and see what areas you would like to live in. Before I moved out here DH and I spent several afternoons driving around just looking at different areas of town. Jax is HUGE! And has a little pocket for just about everyone, find the one that fits you.

Towncenter was crazy when I moved away I can only imagine how much worse it has gotten. Plus they are putting an IKEA there which will add to traffic. Not all of westside is bad. The avondale/riverside area is a great area to live in...its west of 17 of that particular area you need to be careful of.
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    LPD 21 USS New York?!

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    LPD 21 USS New York?!
    yes ma'am!! we are so excited; its where we wanted to go and obviously that ship is an honor of him to serve on.
  9. Moderator

I don't have any advice. But, my husband's command group is there and I'm there once a month for training. We should meet up once you get settled!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I don't have any advice. But, my husband's command group is there and I'm there once a month for training. We should meet up once you get settled!
    definitely that would be awesome!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast