Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Future NC girl

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Future NC girl

Advertisements
    My DF got stationed in Lejeune and I'll be moving down after the wedding later this year. Was just curious if anyone had any words of wisdom about the area or wanted to meet after I come down for good.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I just left the area, but will say that Wilmington (where I lived about an hour away) was pretty alright. A good number of people I knew would commute up to base every day from Wilmington but IMO if you're not going to school or working there yourself, it probably wouldn't be worth it for your SO. I wasn't really a fan of the area in general personally, but it's definitely not the worst place. I just grew tired of it myself because I like urban areas way better than the beach. However, whenever I was in Jacksonville I didn't have trouble finding things to do. Topsail and Emerald Isle will be extremely convenient if you like hanging at the beach. The good thing about NC is that you're always able to take a day trip somewhere like the NC Zoo or the Triangle area. Plus, you're right at the beach + the outer banks, and are only about 1.5-2 hours away from Raleigh, and 3.5 from Charlotte.

What are you looking for advice on? Are you going to live on base or out in town? Will you be in school or work? Do you have kids? If you're trying to find a job, definitely start applying sooner rather than later.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Just general things honestly. My father was military for years, but we've never stayed in North Carolina before so I'm not sure what to expect when I get down. To answer your questions: we'll be on base; I'll be working; and not yet, we're planning to wait til his active duty is over.
  4. Senior Member
    I actually really like it here. We've been here since 2009 (minus a year away) and it's grown a lot. Summer here is hot and humid, winters are generally pretty mild and some years no snow. Base housing isn't bad at all, and there are plenty of neighborhoods to choose from.
  5. Senior Member
    Don't know about Lejeune, but we were in Goldsboro for a while and I loved NC .... gorgeous area of the country and the friendliest people in the world ... IMO.