Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Where to live in Jacksonville, FL

1. Senior Member

Where to live in Jacksonville, FL

Advertisements
    DH is getting orders to NAS Jacksonville and we need some suggestions on where to live. We are both from Philly and like living in a walkable urban environment. We are looking for a 3 bed house in a nice neighborhood with bars, restaurants and shops within walking distance and would ideally like to spend less than 1600. We also love living by the beach and would consider a beach neighborhood as well but I don't want DH to have an awful commute.

I keep hearing about Avondale/Riverside and San Marcos. Would those areas be a good fit for us? Are there any parts of those neighborhoods to avoid? Also we will need to find and move into a house very quickly so if there isn't anything available in those neighborhoods where else could we look? Would it be too long of a commute to live by the beach?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

I really like the Bartram Park area but that isnt really urban. You could live on the beach but the drive to NAS may take him 45mins+ to get to base, which isnt too bad. We chose the North side which is okay depending on where you live but it can get kind of scary (we figured that out after we bought our house )
  3. Senior Member
    Sounds like Riverside would be a good place for you and it's closer to NAS than the beaches
  4. Senior Member
    Riverside/ San Marco/ Avondale would probably be the best place for you if you like urban. From what I hear (from a co worker that lives down there) it is a little hit and miss in the neighborhood. He has a nice home but he chains his grill to his front porch and it often times has been almost stolen, and he lives on a 'nice street.' Just make sure you check it out before you commit to anything. I love that area and I think it would be exactly what you are looking for.

The beaches are great. Totally walkable. But from NAS you are about 1hr or more.

Down in St. Johns county is nice, much more suburban feel but good schools and stuff. Many people from work live down in Nocatee area. Julington Creek is a good, Bartram Park. We live in Mandarin area. All of these areas are nice and fairly close to NAS. But not too urban.

I would stay far FAR away from the Westside. Most of Jacksonville' s crime is over there, just don't go there. Ever. Lol I am not even kidding when I say I have only gone to the Westside once in my 4 years.
  5. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Agree with riverside/Avondale/San Marco. It would be an easy commute for him just going down 17 to NAS jax. You'll just have to look at homes in the area when you visit/move. One street will have mansions, then you turn the corner and you're in a public housing complex jax is like that. The downtown areas are really up and coming tho. Lots of renovations over the past few years and young couples moving out there.

I'd avoid living at the beach based on commute/traffic.

6. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Another option would be near town center. They mostly have town homes and apartments within walking distance but there's a ton of shopping and restaurants. I don't think it personally has the same feel as Avondale, etc but it's a nice area and centrally located. Somewhere off Gate Parkway would be what to search.

7. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    We live in the Mandarin area and love it. It's just over the bridge from NAS but the commute is still very short. The areas you mentioned I've heard are good also!! I would stay far away from the Orange park area (terrible traffic) and the West side.
  8. Senior Member
    I have house in Avondale....my husband just put his dream sheet in for jax again. I said maybe we should try a different area. I was told NO we will live in Avondale/Riverside even if he has to commute to Mayport.

Living near the town center i see more of a pain. Years ago when we were last there it was crowded and just not fun to deal with on the weekends.

Avondale/Riverside has a saturday farmers market, they do a luminary thing in Dec where people drive around the area (loved doing that) some of the best restaurants in jax are in avondale/riverside.