Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft. Benning, Georgia

1. Senior Member

Ft. Benning, Georgia

Advertisements
    So, whose in Georgia?? Turns out, I'll be going with DH to Ft. Benning! I'm a little... thrown off. I had planned to stay here, but it's all good. So, what's Georgia like? how's the weather? What's there to do in Columbus? What are my chances of getting a job in such a small town?

anything you can think to tell me!

2. Senior Member
    Yay!! We'll be there for 4-6 months-ish for tank school. DH is USMC but apparently they do tank school combined with the army I don't think we'll be there until June, maybe even later depending on when his command sends him, but I'm glad to know you'll be there!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Yay!! We'll be there for 4-6 months-ish for tank school. DH is USMC but apparently they do tank school combined with the army I don't think we'll be there until June, maybe even later depending on when his command sends him, but I'm glad to know you'll be there!
    we'll be headed there this summer too so we'll definitely be there at the same time!

4. Senior Member
    Get ready for some heat and humidity. That's where DH did basic and AIT. I went to his graduation and all I remember of the town were waffle houses and humidity.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Get ready for some heat and humidity. That's where DH did basic and AIT. I went to his graduation and all I remember of the town were waffle houses and humidity.
    Waffle House is the best after a night of heavy drinking!

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Is it like... Houston humidity? Or worse???

7. Moderator

I'm in GA, but not Benning. Humidity here is 100% every day of summer. And it averages 100 degrees. Overnight it might drop to 98 sometimes. Just make sure wherever you live the AC unit is in good repair, and be prepared for some crazy electric bills.
  8. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the armpit of hell

Extremely hot in the summer. Not much to do there. Mostly entry level jobs but I'm sure you can find some type of office job. My friend is an appt scheduler at a dr office. Only thing to do really would be overnight trips to Atlanta, Savannah or neighboring states. Georgia has fun water parks and amusement parks so maybe you can visit them! You'll be close to the mountains. There's fun hiking trails and waterfalls. Or you can go mining for gold.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    Welcome to the armpit of hell

Extremely hot in the summer. Not much to do there. Mostly entry level jobs but I'm sure you can find some type of office job. My friend is an appt scheduler at a dr office. Only thing to do really would be overnight trips to Atlanta, Savannah or neighboring states. Georgia has fun water parks and amusement parks so maybe you can visit them! You'll be close to the mountains. There's fun hiking trails and waterfalls. Or you can go mining for gold.
    maybe I'll get rich enough to pay electric bills

do you have to pay on post? I thought electricity was included. DH is one of those people that keeps the house on 69 perpetually :/ we've been fortunate because we have a solar system here so that keeps costs down. He was told to live on post because iBOLC schedule is so erratic he's gonna want the ability to come home when he can.

and I've made a list already for traveling, thank you pintrest. I'll probably travel alone a lot bc of his schedule but I'm ok with that. Also, does anyone know if I have to do anything with my cell phone, or will it just work in GA? we have ATT. I've never pcsed conus, so I don't know how that works.

10. Moderator

Your cell will probably work just fine unless you're in a dead spot, but you shouldn't have to change anything. If you'll be on post you probably won't have to worry about the crazy electric. A lot of places will only pay a certain amount and then you pay if you exceed it, but the average use is so high in summer that you probably won't, even if that's how they run it there. We are a 68-degrees year-round kind of household too so I feel you there. I try to push it to 72 on one floor (we have independent climate control) in the summer just so we don't break $400, but it's been iffy. It's the one single reason I have ever wished we lived on post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast