Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing in Mayport!!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Housing in Mayport!!!

Advertisements
    Hey guys!! DH got orders for Mayport and will be moving here on April. I live in Tampa and have been to Jacksonville a couple of times but I don't really know the areas :/ We are going to be looking for off base housing but don't exactly know where to look. Does anyone knows about good areas/neighborhoods that we should look at?? Thanks
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

That depends on how far you are willing to commute. Do you plan on living in a house or an apartment?
  3. Senior Member
    You really don't want to live anywhere on Mayport Road or near Mayport.. It's not the best/safest area immediately around the base. Venturing about 10 mins from the main gate you'll find some nice neighborhoods.

If you look off Girvin Rd, those are good neighborhoods that are very close to base.

Also down around Atlantic Blvd and San Pablo Rd, or Atlantic Blvd and Hodges Blvd are some decent apartments. I have personally lived in Woodhollow apartments and would definitely live there again. If you're looking for homes, down San Pablo Rd or Hodges Blvd have some good neighborhoods as well.

Kernan Blvd has some great apartment options, as well as some great neighborhoods.

*Sigh* I miss Jacksonville so bad :'(
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Nutts

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanerr View Post
    That depends on how far you are willing to commute. Do you plan on living in a house or an apartment?
    DB is willing to commute as long as it's a reasonable distance(35-45 min.?) . How's the traffic over there? And is only the two of us so I prefer an apartment but DB really wants to be in a house, he has been in Japan for a few years now and would love to have family over so I guess a house would be a better fit for us. DB gets here in April so we still have a while to decide LOL. Are you currently in FL?
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by z32chick View Post
    You really don't want to live anywhere on Mayport Road or near Mayport.. It's not the best/safest area immediately around the base. Venturing about 10 mins from the main gate you'll find some nice neighborhoods.

If you look off Girvin Rd, those are good neighborhoods that are very close to base.

Also down around Atlantic Blvd and San Pablo Rd, or Atlantic Blvd and Hodges Blvd are some decent apartments. I have personally lived in Woodhollow apartments and would definitely live there again. If you're looking for homes, down San Pablo Rd or Hodges Blvd have some good neighborhoods as well.

Kernan Blvd has some great apartment options, as well as some great neighborhoods.

*Sigh* I miss Jacksonville so bad :'(
    Thank you so much for the info!! We will definitely take a look at these areas
  7. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Stay. Away. From. Arlington.

I live on the southside and love it. Jacksonville is really hit and miss. One street is nice then two blocks down you have a lot of crime. I'd stick around baymeadows/gate parkway personally. Less crime and a lot of shopping. Houses in a decent area will cost about 1200 a month to rent. There are a ton of condos and town homes that rent though so that might be a nice compromise.

8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    Stay. Away. From. Arlington.

I live on the southside and love it. Jacksonville is really hit and miss. One street is nice then two blocks down you have a lot of crime. I'd stick around baymeadows/gate parkway personally. Less crime and a lot of shopping. Houses in a decent area will cost about 1200 a month to rent. There are a ton of condos and town homes that rent though so that might be a nice compromise.
    Thanks for your help!!! Hopefully we'll find something in a nice area. I've been looking at houses online and the rent is actually not that bad for some areas, I thought it was going to be a lot more expensive since here in Tampa a 3/2 house is about 1800-2000+ a month. We are also going to be looking at town homes