Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: what airport should I fly into to go to ft hood?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    70.17%

what airport should I fly into to go to ft hood?

Advertisements
    Hello,

My fiancé is going to have a few days of leave between his training at fort hood and deployment to the middle east. We will have three days together to stay at a hotel and I was wondering best towns/cities within 100 miles of ft hood and best airport to fly into. I would be flying from Maryland, so I am to far of a drive. Thanks in advance, xox
  2. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    28.56%
    Hi, sorry to hear about your situation because there arent many big cities around there other than the Austin area an hour away but the traffic is bad that way...other than going there, San Antonio is kind of a popular destination. It is 2.5-3 hours away. Beware of Killeen, please.

The closest airport is called Killeen- Ft Hood Regional but I strongly doubt it's the best price. Please compare prices to bigger cities because going to smaller airports may cost a lot more. Austin could be an alternative to fly to and stay at a hotel. Ask your fiance what he wants to see there or if he has been there.

I cannot think of one pleasant thing to do in Killeen for a couple in 3 days.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    39.57%
    Waco is cool, they have the Magnolia market, a nice zoo and the Dr. Pepper Museum. It's also a college town so I'm sure there is some night life going on but I've not spent much time there with partying in mind so I can't point you anywhere.

4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    20.3%
    Fly into Austin. It's only an hour drive, and the traffic out of Austin isn't bad at all. you can rent a car, or I'm sure they have a van service to take you post. I know they did in Benning to Atlanta and that was a 2 1/2 hour drive.

5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Lv. Percent
    13.07%

I would recommend using another airport too. I don't think the price is always that bad to go into the regional airport, but the delays in and out are horrible. I don't think I was ever on time when I used the regional airport.

Depending on what you guys like, there's some cute little areas around Killeen too. Salado has a little downtown area and they also have fun little crafty stuff ... we made blown glass artwork one year. Austin isn't that far. We also used to live in Georgetown (on the way to Austin) and they have a cute little town square and some museums. If you go by Waco I would also recommend the zoo and the Dr. Pepper museum! We did both in the same day and it was really fun. If you are outdoorsy type of people, there's some good hiking/biking around Belton and Stillhouse Lake. We were big hikers/bikers and there are some beautiful trails in the area.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    25.82%
    If you're looking for places to stay/something to do then stay in Austin (only 1 hour away). It's a fun, laid back city with huge foodie and night life scene. Austin also referred to as the live music capitol of the world - think of it like Nashville but with all type of music. SXSW (south by southwest) and ACL (Austin City Limits) fest both take place there. I was born in Austin, so I'm totally biased, but it's one of my favorite cities in the US and I'm comparing that to NY, LA, and Nashville.

As for other areas, I agree with Tojai. Waco is over an hour away in the opposite direction. If you plan on visiting Magnolia Market then go on a weekday. It will still be a madhouse but not like it is on the weekends. For cute towns, downtown Georgetown and Salado are fun places to go shopping. If you're looking for low-key nightlife and don't want to drive all the way into Austin, then downtown Round Rock is fun too.

If you need more suggestions then LMK.

7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    70.17%
    Thank you all so much for all of your helpful input and advice! I really appreciate everyone taking time to help me out! It sounds like flying into Austin/ renting a car and staying there is the best bet!!! I lived in Nashville for college, and we heard Austin is very similar, with that being said I guess my mind is set!! Thanks again xox
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    25.82%
    Quote Originally Posted by lyssxo View Post
    Thank you all so much for all of your helpful input and advice! I really appreciate everyone taking time to help me out! It sounds like flying into Austin/ renting a car and staying there is the best bet!!! I lived in Nashville for college, and we heard Austin is very similar, with that being said I guess my mind is set!! Thanks again xox
    I think you'll have a lot of fun! 6th street in Austin is very similar to Broadway in Nashville. I will warn you though, my good friend from Boston that I took to Austin was expecting it to be very country themed like it is in Nashville but it's not Austin has a very "hipster"/artsy/urban/alternative vibe. Our motto is "keep Austin weird".