Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Hood: Kempner vs Belton lake area?

1. Regular Member

Hello Fort Hood: Kempner vs Belton lake area?

Advertisements
    Hello

DH just got stationed at Hood for the second time. Years ago we lived in Harker Heights which is supposed to be pretty good but we had many strange incidents such as pushy solicitors coming to our house, strangers asking for money and for other things in parking lots, people making rude remarks etc. Not interested in shopping or entertainment. We prefer peace and quiet, and safety above all. We have been considering moving to Kempner. The only concern I have about it is the quality of the local school. Does anyone have info on safety there and how the elementary school is? It has average test ratings but otherwise good ratings from parents.

The other area we like is Morgan's Point, Belton. It supposedly has a good school but how nice and safe is that neighborhood?

Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I haven't lived there for years but yikes about Harker Heights! I thought it was supposed to be better than that. I do have some friends in the area with school-aged kids so I will ask around and see if anyone has heard about Kempner or Morgan's Point. We lived right on the edge of Killeen/Harker Heights and it seemed the neighborhood was getting a little worse but nothing like you said.
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I haven't lived there for years but yikes about Harker Heights! I thought it was supposed to be better than that. I do have some friends in the area with school-aged kids so I will ask around and see if anyone has heard about Kempner or Morgan's Point. We lived right on the edge of Killeen/Harker Heights and it seemed the neighborhood was getting a little worse but nothing like you said.
    Hi, I would really appreciate it if you could ask!

I know it's unbelievable. At the beginning, it felt like a bad dream. I had some middle aged men asking me even when I was at the local car wash if I could give them money or a ride (when I pulled up to pay for the wash) plus similar stuff happened at the Walmart parking lot pretty often. I guess they thought of me as a young, naive-looking mom with a toddler (I think people can sense that I am not an assertive person by nature). I have never experienced anything similar anywhere else though and I don't know how bad it is now because this was many years ago. We felt like we didn't belong no matter how hard we tried and we fit in easily at all the other 5 posts we have been at. Anyway, we just really need a fresh start and I just want to leave the bad memories behind so that they wouldn't affect the present.
  4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I have a friend who teaches middle school math in Killeen she said it’s really not that bad. We live in Jarrell which is about 20 mins from Belton going South towards Austin! We love it here, I have a daughter in 2nd grade and the schools are great. Small town so the kids basically grow up together.

I’ve heard really good things about Belton though and I’ve grown up in this area. They have one of the best school districts in the area! I don’t have any personal experience though so hopefully that helps!

5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sorry I lost track of this thread! I did ask my friends. Not all of them were familiar with the area but I am friends with one lady with a new baby (so not super into the schools yet, in her words) and she loves the Belton area. She said it feels safe and it's nice that there's people her age around to make friends with. Someone told me they thought Kempner was kind of an older population, but everything's so close together it didn't really matter to her. That's a little vague but those are the responses I've got.
  6. Senior Member
    We moved to Hood last May, and are currently looking at buying a home in the Nolanville area. Specifically the Bella Charca neighborhood. It has such a safe feel to it, and is gated. We really love how safe Nolanville feels in general. Belton is a good area, too. I work in Harker Heights, and it is also sketchy.. OR at least in the area that I work in.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Sorry I lost track of this thread! I did ask my friends. Not all of them were familiar with the area but I am friends with one lady with a new baby (so not super into the schools yet, in her words) and she loves the Belton area. She said it feels safe and it's nice that there's people her age around to make friends with. Someone told me they thought Kempner was kind of an older population, but everything's so close together it didn't really matter to her. That's a little vague but those are the responses I've got.

Thank you! That is promising.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    We moved to Hood last May, and are currently looking at buying a home in the Nolanville area. Specifically the Bella Charca neighborhood. It has such a safe feel to it, and is gated. We really love how safe Nolanville feels in general. Belton is a good area, too. I work in Harker Heights, and it is also sketchy.. OR at least in the area that I work in.
    I looked up the neighborhood you mentioned in Nolanville. It looks very impressive and different compared what is out there and a gated community is a big plus there. There's also a nice place near the Belton Lake area past Miller Springs Park. There are hardly any rentals (less transient) and the ones they do have start at $1600-1800 a month there so I don't know what to think, that's way out of our range. I know some good neighborhoods near Bella Charca but they geographically belong to Belton. They have no rentals there. We know it's only for 2 years for us and we therefore don't want to buy a house there. I remember even Harker Heights had a nice area and those houses were on the top of hills.

My experience is that the best neighborhoods don't really have a lot of rentals. Rentals are so expensive there for the BAH rate of the area. It's really odd because they have an abundance of rentals. I wonder what has made the rental prices go up like that...even a colonel wouldn't get enough BAH to rent a 1800 dollar house there. Here at Bragg, our place is so affordable and the BAH is not so low.