Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What is your opinion/experience regarding Fort Hood area towns?

1. Regular Member

What is your opinion/experience regarding Fort Hood area towns?

Advertisements
    DH is going to get his wish list in a few months. There are a lot of positions at Fort Hood for his field so there is a possibility we would have to move back there and this has crossed my mind lately so I thought I'd ask on here. If that happens, I want to be a little more prepared with information than last time I was there.

I used to live in Harker Heights and it was not a positive experience except for my child's school. From the first day on, all I had was negative stuff happening to me constantly no matter what I did. Everything new I started failed so I just don't want to go through the same thing again. I don't want to put that on the place but when we left, all that "negative energy" went away too. I guess I am just not a good fit for that area/people living there or something. It's hard to explain but I just want to live somewhere with a different vibe. HH does look pretty nice at first but living there is not the same.

I have been considering Nolanville, Belton or Kempner as options. How safe are those places and how are the schools (elementary/middle schools)? My husband is not much of a commuter - he gets tired of very long commutes so Georgetown is not an option.
    Last edited by InGermany; 04-07-2017 at 06:24 PM.
  2. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

We live in Jarrell which is about 15 mins away from Belton right down 35 and I love it there. But that may still be too far if a commute. It's a smaller town with a good school system, my daughter is in 1st grade and we've never had issues with her school. The cost of living is not super high either!

I've grown up in this area and all three of those cities listed are not bad at all, they're fairly small and safe. They have lower crime rates in Belton than Temple and Killeen. Nolanville and Kempner are very small town vibe so if you settle there you'll have to travel more to places like Belton and Temple! Out of the three, Belton is going to be the larger district versus Nolanville's smaller district... I'm not sure if Kempner had their own ISD or if they fall under one of the bigger cities. In all of these cities, the schools have good ratings and we have friends who send their kiddos to Belton ISD and they don't have anything bad to say.

3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    We live in Jarrell which is about 15 mins away from Belton right down 35 and I love it there. But that may still be too far if a commute. It's a smaller town with a good school system, my daughter is in 1st grade and we've never had issues with her school. The cost of living is not super high either!

I've grown up in this area and all three of those cities listed are not bad at all, they're fairly small and safe. They have lower crime rates in Belton than Temple and Killeen. Nolanville and Kempner are very small town vibe so if you settle there you'll have to travel more to places like Belton and Temple! Out of the three, Belton is going to be the larger district versus Nolanville's smaller district... I'm not sure if Kempner had their own ISD or if they fall under one of the bigger cities. In all of these cities, the schools have good ratings and we have friends who send their kiddos to Belton ISD and they don't have anything bad to say.

Hi, I appreciate your opinion. It's good to know you feel that way and the school reviews reflect what you just said. Since we left, we've been to multiple bases where we did have a much better time in other ways but the schools in the Fort Hood area seemed to be outstanding. My child still keeps on talking about his, we miss that school/staff so much.

I have looked into Jarrell too. I am familiar with Jarrell and Salado but they don't really have any rental options. We're not willing to purchase a home because DH has been put on shorter, 2 year assignments. Selling a house there with the ever-growing communities is not easy.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    this is unrelated but I do not know how to ask other places(still learning) what airport is best to use when flying to fort hood? closest one/ maybe cheapest with a further drive. Thanks in advance clueless army finance.