Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about Fort Worth

1. Moooooo!!
    Moooooo!!

Talk to me about Fort Worth

Advertisements
    I know I have been pretty much nonexistent for the last year or so, but I have been lurking. Anyway, I'm moving to Fort Worth soon...like next week. Those of you who have lived there or near there, what are/have been your favorite things about the area? What didn't you like? Basically, I just keep hearing about how hot it gets, but I'm excited for that because I'm tired of being cold all the time here in Wisco. So, tell me what you know!

ETA: Also, anyone who has driven long distances with a cat(s) (I have two) how did you keep it/them comfortable? I am going to try to make the drive in two days, but it may end up being three days. I'm terrified for this.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by SamiLynn View Post
    I know I have been pretty much nonexistent for the last year or so, but I have been lurking. Anyway, I'm moving to Fort Worth soon...like next week. Those of you who have lived there or near there, what are/have been your favorite things about the area? What didn't you like? Basically, I just keep hearing about how hot it gets, but I'm excited for that because I'm tired of being cold all the time here in Wisco. So, tell me what you know!

ETA: Also, anyone who has driven long distances with a cat(s) (I have two) how did you keep it/them comfortable? I am going to try to make the drive in two days, but it may end up being three days. I'm terrified for this.
    I have zero advice about forth worth, but lots about kitties and travel in cars! They've moved pretty consistently, about every year or so, with me. We just recently made a 7 hour drive together. I had them both in a large kennel with my pillow (memory foam + my scent) to stay comfy. I also gave them one of their favourite catnip toys. They have gotten benadryl/kitty xanax in the past, but this time I just put my jacket over the kennel and they went right to sleep with no crying! I'd definitely recommend this. In the past, if they've been able to see me, they'd just cry. The jacket trick seemed to calm them down a lot if your cats are also clingy af. As for the drive itself, I fed them a few hours before we left so they'd have time to digest and then just gave them a few treats and offered them food and water from a tupperware whenever I stopped. Also, if you're planning overnights make sure that your hotel is cat-friendly, not just pet-friendly. You might have to keep their vet records on file for a hotel, too, and be willing to pay a deposit for potential damages because of claws. I'm lucky because both of my cats are really comfortable travelers once they realize I'm not abandoning them

During the days before the move, I tried to keep everything as normal as possible, down to their litter box. In the past I've given them a disposable box in the few days before, and they've always known something was up and had watery shits everywhere out of stress. This time, they saw boxes for a few weeks but their actual routine didn't change until the morning when they were closed off in the kitchen while the movers took my stuff. I think this cut down on the stress for them too. Same thing for when you arrive: have their box of supplies (toys, food/water, litter, etc.) be the first thing you set up and let them have a room or space of their own to adjust and be away from the hustle and bustle of moving.

Good luck!!!
  3. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    lol no advice but I'm actually going to Fort Worth next week for work No one in my department is excited about going
    ~Becca~

4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I lived in Ft. Worth about 35 years ago!! I'm no help. But I did love it there.
  5. Moooooo!!
    Moooooo!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I have zero advice about forth worth, but lots about kitties and travel in cars! They've moved pretty consistently, about every year or so, with me. We just recently made a 7 hour drive together. I had them both in a large kennel with my pillow (memory foam + my scent) to stay comfy. I also gave them one of their favourite catnip toys. They have gotten benadryl/kitty xanax in the past, but this time I just put my jacket over the kennel and they went right to sleep with no crying! I'd definitely recommend this. In the past, if they've been able to see me, they'd just cry. The jacket trick seemed to calm them down a lot if your cats are also clingy af. As for the drive itself, I fed them a few hours before we left so they'd have time to digest and then just gave them a few treats and offered them food and water from a tupperware whenever I stopped. Also, if you're planning overnights make sure that your hotel is cat-friendly, not just pet-friendly. You might have to keep their vet records on file for a hotel, too, and be willing to pay a deposit for potential damages because of claws. I'm lucky because both of my cats are really comfortable travelers once they realize I'm not abandoning them

During the days before the move, I tried to keep everything as normal as possible, down to their litter box. In the past I've given them a disposable box in the few days before, and they've always known something was up and had watery shits everywhere out of stress. This time, they saw boxes for a few weeks but their actual routine didn't change until the morning when they were closed off in the kitchen while the movers took my stuff. I think this cut down on the stress for them too. Same thing for when you arrive: have their box of supplies (toys, food/water, litter, etc.) be the first thing you set up and let them have a room or space of their own to adjust and be away from the hustle and bustle of moving.

Good luck!!!
    Thank you so much for this! I'm definitely going to try the jacket trick. They just panic so much. We took a 40 minute trip to the vet and they worked themselves up to the point of panting pretty hard. I bought some calming treats so hopefully those help a bit too. We are going to try to do the trip in two days, but it may take three.
  6. Moooooo!!
    Moooooo!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    lol no advice but I'm actually going to Fort Worth next week for work No one in my department is excited about going
    Why is no one excited??
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Why is no one excited??
    I keep asking my coworkers what fun stuff there is to do there and they're all like NOTHING!! I'm sure they're lying so hopefully we can find some things in our off time. They're making us share rental cars though and I'm at the mercy of the person who got our car.
    ~Becca~

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I keep asking my coworkers what fun stuff there is to do there and they're all like NOTHING!! I'm sure they're lying so hopefully we can find some things in our off time. They're making us share rental cars though and I'm at the mercy of the person who got our car.
    My sister used to live there and a used to visit when I was a kid. I also have a few friends there and it seems like there's a lot of good bars and restaurants in Dallas so I'm sure you'll find something fun!

9. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Thank you so much for this! I'm definitely going to try the jacket trick. They just panic so much. We took a 40 minute trip to the vet and they worked themselves up to the point of panting pretty hard. I bought some calming treats so hopefully those help a bit too. We are going to try to do the trip in two days, but it may take three.
    Poor babies! If they're especially prone to anxiety, you could always make an appointment at the vet to get them some medicine. I did that the very first time I moved with my little kitten and it really helped her.
  10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    My sister used to live there and a used to visit when I was a kid. I also have a few friends there and it seems like there's a lot of good bars and restaurants in Dallas so I'm sure you'll find something fun!
    Unfortunately we're not even staying in downtown Ft Worth, we're north so Dallas is an hour away
    ~Becca~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast