Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Hood!

1. Senior Member

Fort Hood!

Advertisements
    Looks like we will be heading to Hood in the nearish future.

Tell me what you like? What you don't like? Best places to live? What are you favorite things to do?

Most importantly the best places to EAT? I mean like family owned, non-chain, kinda places.
  2. Senior Member
    I don't recall ever eating at a place that wasn't a chain in ft. hood, except for one little Mexican place right by the gate with cheap margaritas and good white queso. Can't remember the name. Pretty much everything else is chains.

I'd suggest living in Harker Heights, it's nicer but a little further out. Worth it in my opinion. There is almost nothing to do there, especially if you don't have kids because base events tend to be geared for families. There's one movie theater off post that has like six movies. If you want something to do, Austin is about an hour and a half away, Waco as well in the opposite direction.

3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

We lived in Killeen for 2 years and it wasn't so bad. We were off of Clear Creek though in the "nicer" area I guess right by the post gate. My grandparents just bought a house right there in the same area too because it was cheaper than Georgetown where they were and the property taxes were lower in Bell County! Harker Heights is really nice, even Copperas Cove is a bit of a step up (and there HEB is WAY better than the Killeen one in my opinion) but there are other options in the surround area if you guys don't mind a drive! We live in Jarrell, TX 35 miles from Killeen and I love our neighborhood and the small town vibe. Georgetown is the same way too, not too far it's a bit of a drive but in terms of towns it's way better!

Food wise, a lot of it is chain restaurants! Pluckers is a Texas built wing bar that's awesome and there are a few hole in the wall Mexican and BBQ places! Austin is only an hour ish away so I would recommend visiting there for stuff to do!

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    We lived in Killeen for 2 years and it wasn't so bad. We were off of Clear Creek though in the "nicer" area I guess right by the post gate. My grandparents just bought a house right there in the same area too because it was cheaper than Georgetown where they were and the property taxes were lower in Bell County! Harker Heights is really nice, even Copperas Cove is a bit of a step up (and there HEB is WAY better than the Killeen one in my opinion) but there are other options in the surround area if you guys don't mind a drive! We live in Jarrell, TX 35 miles from Killeen and I love our neighborhood and the small town vibe. Georgetown is the same way too, not too far it's a bit of a drive but in terms of towns it's way better!

Food wise, a lot of it is chain restaurants! Pluckers is a Texas built wing bar that's awesome and there are a few hole in the wall Mexican and BBQ places! Austin is only an hour ish away so I would recommend visiting there for stuff to do!

when did Killeen get a pluckers?!? They definitely didn't have that when I was there. I LOVED pluckers when I was living in Austin, so yummy.

5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    when did Killeen get a pluckers?!? They definitely didn't have that when I was there. I LOVED pluckers when I was living in Austin, so yummy.

It's right off the centex expressway! It was pretty new when we first moved there! I think it came in right after you had left and like right when we moved

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    They definitely did! We went there once a week. So yummy!

Red onion indian bistro is good if you dont want chains. Like B said, thats mostly what there is
  7. Regular Member
    Well I'm about 45 mins south I only drive through Killeen
  8. Senior Member
    Pluckers sounds great! My husband goes to BWW every sunday during football season, so he will enjoy that.

Will try the indian place, too!

I'm getting pretty nervous, as everyone has said they didn't like being at Hood.. I know it's what you make of it though.
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Pluckers sounds great! My husband goes to BWW every sunday during football season, so he will enjoy that.

Will try the indian place, too!

I'm getting pretty nervous, as everyone has said they didn't like being at Hood.. I know it's what you make of it though.
    It's close enough to Austin that I never minded because you can take the day trips and get out of the area and not have to drive a billion miles! It really isn't too bad I'm sure you guys will do great here AND there seems to be a lot more fort hood girls so we need to start getting a meetup in plan!

10. Senior Member
    We live in the Harker Heights area and love it. There's a really good Italian lace called Luigi's across from the high school and a great Mexican food place called taquiera number 3 on 2410. It's really not too bad, the same as any other place. The construction is out of control though and the people here drive like absolute assholes. No one thinks the traffic rules apply to them. There are lots of kid things to do like splash pads, swimming pools, and parks. The traffic in Temple is horrible due to construction, Saledo has really cool events like an art festival and wine festival. Waco has the zoo and other festivals too. There are lots of farmer's markets through out the week from about April-November. Oh and HEB! I love HEB for all my grocery shopping. Their coupons and digital coupons are great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast