Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Hood!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Fort Hood!

Advertisements
    Hi there, I have been at Hood for 4 years and still don't know a lot of people. Partly because I got divorced from my soldier two years ago and was no longer part of the military community. I am currently in a committed relationship with another soldier, which I tried not to do, but what can you do when you fall in love? He is currently in Korea and I am having a hard time coping. I have done a 12 month deployment and two 16 month deployments with my ex husband so this one should be so much easier especially with the technology now, he and I communicate way more than my ex husband and I ever did. But everything about this relationship is completely different. Plus I am older than he is....

The other VERY long deployments were different for me too because we were at Ft Drum, and I am Canadian so all of my family was just a short drive across the border, so I had a support system. You may wonder why I haven't gone back to Canada, that is because although my ex husband was a terrible husband, he is a great and loving father and I just couldn't take that relationship away from my daughter... and my ex-husband only has a year left till retirement and he married a girl from here, and bought a house... so ... I am "stuck here".

I am just looking to meet some other women who understand... I have a 5 year old daughter, and most of my life is focused around her, I don't go to the bars and I work in a small office so it seems hard for me to meet people, I am a little shy at first too

I feel weird posting on here because I know the stigma attached to being "just a girlfriend" and not a spouse.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We've been at Ft. Hood about 4 years too! (Well we moved a little bit closer to Austin but I still work in Killeen). When DH was deployed I wasn't so focused on the military community, just people who had things in common with me. Well things that I thought were important I guess ... to me their SO also being military didn't matter. I actually joined the Killeen branch of Toastmasters and it was really great to socialize, I wanted to work on my public speaking and networking and the other people there thought those things were important too. I think that common ground can help with shyness too! Everyone was super sweet when I first showed up, I didn't do any speeches for like a month lol.

But there's other stuff to do too, I did some volunteer work at the animal shelter where we got our dog. I met some very nice people at church, if that's your thing. When I do community stuff for work like the Army Marathon it looks like there's lots of groups too ... maybe look into local organizations or on meetup or something and find a group to spend time with? Some of the girls at work do a couponing thing and they have meetups for that too.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile

Thank you, I do go to church here in Killeen but have found it hard to connect but I am FORCING myself to try and get over the shyness! lol I did just sign up for some volunteer things that start in August so I am hoping by being more proactive that will help... another reason why I decided to reach out on here as well! I joined a small gym this month too, and people are very friendly... so I am trying!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovebug2110 View Post
    Hi there, I have been at Hood for 4 years and still don't know a lot of people. Partly because I got divorced from my soldier two years ago and was no longer part of the military community. I am currently in a committed relationship with another soldier, which I tried not to do, but what can you do when you fall in love? He is currently in Korea and I am having a hard time coping. I have done a 12 month deployment and two 16 month deployments with my ex husband so this one should be so much easier especially with the technology now, he and I communicate way more than my ex husband and I ever did. But everything about this relationship is completely different. Plus I am older than he is....

The other VERY long deployments were different for me too because we were at Ft Drum, and I am Canadian so all of my family was just a short drive across the border, so I had a support system. You may wonder why I haven't gone back to Canada, that is because although my ex husband was a terrible husband, he is a great and loving father and I just couldn't take that relationship away from my daughter... and my ex-husband only has a year left till retirement and he married a girl from here, and bought a house... so ... I am "stuck here".

I am just looking to meet some other women who understand... I have a 5 year old daughter, and most of my life is focused around her, I don't go to the bars and I work in a small office so it seems hard for me to meet people, I am a little shy at first too

I feel weird posting on here because I know the stigma attached to being "just a girlfriend" and not a spouse.
    Why do you feel there's a stigma attached to being "just a girlfriend"?

5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I'm like Tojai, we don't actually live in Killeen/Fort Hood anymore but we were there for about 2 years when my husband was medboarded out of the Army so we moved closer to Austin where I work! We currently live in Jarrell which is about 30 miles from Fort Hood! We also have a 5 year old little girl too and she keeps me pretty dang busy since she's such a handful!

I would just try and find things to keep yourself busy, there are a lot of Fort Hood FB pages you can find events on to see what is going on around the community! It sounds like you're already taking steps in the right direction though by joining a gym and attending church services! MOPS is a good program too for moms, it's Mothers of Preschooler's and I believe there is a Killeen branch out there but moms will get together and it's a church based group so you can make some friends that way!

Don't believe the hype and stigma attached to being "just the girlfriend" when it comes to the military, you're still someones significant other and that does matter!

6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

stigma

Just from the experiences I had with the FRG groups at Drum before we got married, and even after we got married I tried very hard to get rid of that stigma for the girls in the group that weren't married, just from experience I guess.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hi guys!

I live in Round Rock and my fiancé is a soldier at ft Hood. I have a 4 year old daughter that is pretty much my life. I don't really go out to bars or clubs, we're more into game nights and things like that. I'm always looking forward to making new friends!!