Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Antonio

1. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech

San Antonio

Advertisements
    I spent a decent amount of time living in San Antonio (3 months in basic, 4 months in phase 1 of tech school) but didn't really go out and explore it (impossible during basic ).

I know there is plenty to do there. And now that I have a car, I won't have to rely on expensive taxis and public transportation. I want to tour a cave. I have plenty of experience with the Riverwalk. What are some must-do/see in that area of Texas? I've experienced both the back end of summer and winter there so I have a good idea of what it'll be like.

How about housing? Since both myself and DH are active duty, we will want to live off post. What are good areas to house hunt in? Where should we avoid?
  2. Senior Member
    It depends on how far you want to commute and what you're looking for in a home as well as what your budget will be. We love the community that we're in, but, our family dynamic is probably not the same as yours.

As for must see areas, we're still working on a list. So far we've done The Riverwalk and the Natural Bridge Caverns. I can't remember much from our time here before, probably because I was so angry about the last minute change in PCS.
  3. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    It depends on how far you want to commute and what you're looking for in a home as well as what your budget will be. We love the community that we're in, but, our family dynamic is probably not the same as yours.

As for must see areas, we're still working on a list. So far we've done The Riverwalk and the Natural Bridge Caverns. I can't remember much from our time here before, probably because I was so angry about the last minute change in PCS.
    I know DH won't complain about a commute. He enjoys driving. I've gotten used to the fact that my work is less than 5 minutes away. Maybe half an hour or 45 minutes wouldn't be too bad.
  4. Senior Member
    Natural Bridge Caverns is close. Mission trail is one of my favorite things to see when I visit.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    I know DH won't complain about a commute. He enjoys driving. I've gotten used to the fact that my work is less than 5 minutes away. Maybe half an hour or 45 minutes wouldn't be too bad.
    We live about 20 minutes from Lackland, as long as we don't have to take 1604 to 90. We're not that far out of town as far as mileage goes, but, traffic in certain areas at certain times can be horrid. We're close to Sea World and just purchased a one-year pass for each of us. We're far enough outside the city limit that DH doesn't feel overwhelmed with the amount of neighbors.
  6. Love never fails. ♥
    Love never fails. ♥

Ahh so exciting you're going to be in SA! Maybe we can meet up sometime! I don't live that far from SA!

7. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Divergent♥ View Post
    Ahh so exciting you're going to be in SA! Maybe we can meet up sometime! I don't live that far from SA!
    That sounds good! I definitely want to get out and explore the area this time.
  8. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Finally got to talk to DH a bit about all this (haven't really had the chance because he has a friend visiting until tomorrow) and found out he'll be stationed at Lackland whereas I'll be at Fort Sam Houston. I was originally looking at houses close to Ft Sam so now I'm having to look at ones that are more in the middle so we have an equal commute. Has to be pet friendly since we'll have his dog and we want to stay in the $1,500/month range. But from what I've seen, there are some nice houses in that price area. I just want to avoid sketchy areas.
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Make sure you visit Sea World and Aquatica and Fiesta Texas!!! The drive thru safari that's attached to Natural Bridge Caverns is awesome!

10. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Make sure you visit Sea World and Aquatica and Fiesta Texas!!! The drive thru safari that's attached to Natural Bridge Caverns is awesome!
    I'll have to look up Aquatica. Don't think I've heard of it. I definitely want to go to Fiesta Texas. I haven't been to an amusement park in a while.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast