Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Polk??

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Fort Polk??

Advertisements
    Hello ladies,
    My family and I will be moving to Fort Polk in June. I am wondering how is it in the area? Is there any new houses available on post and how are the schools(Middle and High school)? Thank you in advance!!
  2. Senior Member
    Oh hi, I'm here until May. I 100000000% despise it and it's quite literally the worst place I've ever been in my life, but a lot of people like it. Outdoorsy people, mostly. There's a lot of new housing on base, but I live in an old unrenovated townhouse in the maple terrace neighborhood. I wish we had new cabinets and flooring, but the neighborhood itself is good imo and I really like the floorplan of our house. I've heard the nicest houses are in new palmetto terrace but I haven't been in one, so I don't have much of an opinion to offer. They look really nice from the street, though. I can't say what the situation will be in June, but when we got here the housing office was really nice about working with us to find exactly what we wanted.

The worst part about this base are the fact that there's nothing here, and the roads are terrible. My car is only two years old and within the past six months I've replaced 3/4 tires. Like seriously, they're bad. There are a few really good locally owned restaurants but nothing in the way of chains unless you're looking for fast food. You have to drive an hour in either direction (Alexandria or Lake Charles) to go to Chilis, for example. No shopping either. There's the px, walmart, Lowe's, some store called Stage that I've never been to, and that's pretty much it. The drive to Alex or Lake Charles isn't really that bad though, I mean it's long but necessary so I guess you just get used to it.
  3. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Oh hi, I'm here until May. I 100000000% despise it and it's quite literally the worst place I've ever been in my life, but a lot of people like it. Outdoorsy people, mostly. There's a lot of new housing on base, but I live in an old unrenovated townhouse in the maple terrace neighborhood. I wish we had new cabinets and flooring, but the neighborhood itself is good imo and I really like the floorplan of our house. I've heard the nicest houses are in new palmetto terrace but I haven't been in one, so I don't have much of an opinion to offer. They look really nice from the street, though. I can't say what the situation will be in June, but when we got here the housing office was really nice about working with us to find exactly what we wanted.

The worst part about this base are the fact that there's nothing here, and the roads are terrible. My car is only two years old and within the past six months I've replaced 3/4 tires. Like seriously, they're bad. There are a few really good locally owned restaurants but nothing in the way of chains unless you're looking for fast food. You have to drive an hour in either direction (Alexandria or Lake Charles) to go to Chilis, for example. No shopping either. There's the px, walmart, Lowe's, some store called Stage that I've never been to, and that's pretty much it. The drive to Alex or Lake Charles isn't really that bad though, I mean it's long but necessary so I guess you just get used to it.
    Pretty much all this. People either hate it or live here forever
  4. Senior Member
    It honestly shocks me how many people retire here like why?! You could go annnnnywhere!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks ladies! I hope it won't be too bad!!
  6. Regular Member
    Go up the road to Shreveport! That's where I am! Plus we have Barksdale AFB there!
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Oh.

Thanks for the honesty. I've been wondering what it's like; my husband and I are moving soon.