Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Temple

1. Regular Member

Hello Temple

Advertisements
    Hi there, we're getting closer to my husband's PCS date, and little by little I'm getting more information about my job situation. It looks like I will most likely be working in Temple, and my husband will be stationed on W Ft Hood. I am trying to find an area that's a good in between point for both areas. My main concerns are: safety, schools (middle and elementary, and I have a son who has ADHD with an IEP so he needs teachers who are accomodating), proximity to shopping, grocery stores, etc, and of course, cost to rent. We may put in for housing on W Ft Hood, but I'd like to know everyone's thoughts about the Temple area. Thanks.....
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

An area like Harker Heights or Nolanville is kind of a good halfway point between Temple and Ft. Hood. I honestly don't know what the schools are like ut I think both those areas are safe and there is plenty of shopping there. Not sure about rent either but I know at least in Heights there seems to be a pretty broad price range to choose from. I think the houses in my area (Harker Heights) are maybe $1200 or so a month? That's just based on what one down the block was renting for.
  3. Senior Member
    Harker Heights is probably your best bet. For on post housing you cant request a certain neighborhood so getting West Ft Hood is pretty hit and miss. Most miss since its so small and has so few neighborhoods.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  4. Regular Member

Thumbs Up

Thanks-I need to print a map of the counties surrounding Ft Hood so I can get my bearings. My husband and I have talked about meeting there at Christmas time (he leaves for AIT at Ft Jackson this month) to get a feel for the area. Which I guess is another question I should ask-do you think this would qualify for a Space A flight? Is that even an option? I imagine at Christmas time it'd be a nightmare. I'm wondering if Southwest would be the way to go (we're at Ft Lewis right now).
  5. Senior Member
    Harker Heights is a good halfway point, I don't know about the schools though. Belton is right outside of Temple and has a great school system. My sisters attend BISD and have nothing but good things to say about the various schools they have attended within the district. My parents are satisfied with their experience with BISD as well. They actually moved to an area of Temple to intentionally be in Beltons school district. Belton is not as close to post as Harker Heights is though.
  6. Regular Member
    Thank you! I wish I'd been able to take a trip out there like we'd hoped. Maybe at Christmas. It's so hard when you have no feel for the area. I don't know how people PCS like this! We got lucky when my husband first got in and were stationed at home. Hats off to you who have moved without knowing what the heck it was going to be like! I guess that's half the adventure though!