Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin, TX?

1. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Question Austin, TX?

Advertisements
    Anyone live there? I am just curious about the cost of living, what outlying areas/suburbs are good and which ones to avoid, what areas of Austin are nice and which ones are scary, etc, etc.

TIA!

2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Brianna (November) should have quite a bit of insight for you. I'm not incredibly familiar with the Austin area but if you're thinking of moving to Texas!!

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    All I know is Austin is more fun than Fort Hood (the two times I've been there)

I can recommend the Austin zoo (it's a non-profit with rescue animals, and we saw a lot of animals up close, it was cool) and the Cathedral of Junk is worth a look, it's pretty amazing (but the guy who runs it is a little creepy, I just wouldn't go alone and you'd be fine).

Good luck! I'm sure someone here has more info than that, lol.
  4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Austin can be a little bit on the higher side for cost of living just depending on which area exactly you're in (say like South Congress or the Downtown area or places like the Arboretum area etc.) areas to avoid are going to be pretty much ALL of Riverside or the Eastern side of 35 downtown. Personally though its going to depend on where you work because the commute in Austin sucks, 5 o' clock traffic can be horrendous.

I have always grew up in the suburbs of Austin and loved it, I grew up in Georgetown and that's only a 35 minute drive to Austin (depending on traffic ) and it was great! Areas like Pflugerville and Round Rock are pretty decent as well (and usually a lot cheaper!) but Austin is so big there's really a lot to work with. I would also recommend the area more off of Mopac (it's a highway) up north by the toll, I used to work in that area and it seemed really nice and had a lot of really nice neighborhoods! It'd be Mopac and Burnet road!

I can answer any questions you have if you come up with anymore

And OMG if you come to Texas

5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Thanks!! That's super helpful! I was cracking up at the name Pflugerville, BTW.

The only other question I have at the moment is, how far away is Temple, and is it nice or craptastic?

6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderelly View Post
    Thanks!! That's super helpful! I was cracking up at the name Pflugerville, BTW.

The only other question I have at the moment is, how far away is Temple, and is it nice or craptastic?
    Temple is actually closer to us here in Killeen and its OK I mean it's not great... Kinda podunk, Belton is a lot nicer IMO living wise but Temple has a lot of jobs right now. And as far as Austin, Temple is about 60 miles I think so about an hour and 15 minutes from Austin!

7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    Temple is actually closer to us here in Killeen and its OK I mean it's not great... Kinda podunk, Belton is a lot nicer IMO living wise but Temple has a lot of jobs right now. And as far as Austin, Temple is about 60 miles I think so about an hour and 15 minutes from Austin!
    Oh okay, good to know! I have been looking at houses for rent just to get an idea and some areas seem really expensive! Is there a lot of new housing out there?

8. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderelly View Post
    Oh okay, good to know! I have been looking at houses for rent just to get an idea and some areas seem really expensive! Is there a lot of new housing out there?
    I'm not 100% sure housing wise if they've been building new housing out that way, I believe Belton is developing a lot more than it's normal self and I've seen a lot going up in the Harker Heights area which is right next to Killeen too! And I know Round Rock has been expanding a TON that place and Georgetown have grown so much since I was little since we have the outlet malls now and they have a lot of land they were able to put new subdivisions on!

9. Senior Member
    Leander, Cedar Park and Round Rock are good subs. We've looked at rental homes in Leander and they are fair priced. Kyle and Buda are also good areas, they are south of Austin. We have family that lives all over that area. Steiner Ranch is my dream area if we retire in that area.

10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    Leander, Cedar Park and Round Rock are good subs. We've looked at rental homes in Leander and they are fair priced. Kyle and Buda are also good areas, they are south of Austin. We have family that lives all over that area. Steiner Ranch is my dream area if we retire in that area.
    I knew I was forgetting something, Cedar Park is actually booming right now too, it's really pleasant out there and my uncle lives in Leander and they got their house for a really good price in a really nice neighborhood!

Liberty Hill is a really good area too, my dad built his house out there but since the town is a lot smaller there's not as many subdivisions so it's a little more expensive if you do find a house!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast