Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Told the kids about Ft Hood, Car information, website Q's & notice to move Q's

1. Regular Member

Smile Told the kids about Ft Hood, Car information, website Q's & notice to move Q's

Advertisements
    Since we're moving to Ft Hood early next year, I have been looking for any information I can get my little hands on regarding how things may be different there. Car registration is a big ? I have. We're currently in WA state, and if you have an older car (I believe older than 5 years), you are subject to an emissions test. My car is an odd year, so I will be due for one in November when I have to buy new tabs. I'm wondering how things work down there? I keep reading about 'inspection stickers.' What are those? Do I need one, how expensive are they, and do I need one every year?

We told my kids about the move over the weekend. My kids are 11 and 10. My daughter cried for a couple of minutes, mainly because she's worried about her dad, who has been a lonely, bitter man since our divorce, and is now living with his mother after being fired from his second job in the last year and a half because of weed (I do not use drugs). She's got a tender heart, and she's concerned about leaving him. But she cheered up, and seems to be OK. My son? Ecstatic! He is obsessed with 6 Flags and cannot WAIT to go. He spent all day Sunday looking up information about the water parks in the area. I was shocked. I did not expect him to take it so well. His only worry was that he didn't want to hurt his dad's feelings by being TOO enthusiastic.

Unfortunately, my ex sent me a really horrible email Sunday night (I had advised him the previous Thursday). Here it is in full. The Rex Baker reference is to my dad, who left me when I was very young and didn't come back into my life until I was a teenager:

"No way. I'm out.

I'm gonna pull a Rex Baker like you wouldn't believe. Oh, you'll continue getting your $400 a month, but otherwise you're completely on your own with 'em once you move.

I'm tired of surrendering everything in life. So I'm gonna get real passive-aggressive and just sorta ... disappear. If they want to seek me out in their adulthood, so be it.

I won't share these kids on your terms. They're all yours after March."

I hate him for this. My kids were more concerned about his feelings, and how lonely he'd be when we left than he was about them. It made me ill. The only bright side is that this provides me with pretty good documentation to attach to my petition for sole custody.

Which leads me to my next question-has anyone had to give notice to an ex to move? If so, how did it go, and was it pretty painless? Did you have to provide this paperwork when you PCS'd?

And, finally, can anyone recommend good websites with Ft Hood info, pictures, etc? Especially pictures of the post and the cities around it like, Copperas Cove, Harker Heights, Temple, Belton, Killeen, etc., other than fthoodfun.com, militaryinstallations.dod.mil, dodhousingnetwork.com. I've exhausted those!

Thanks.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hey there.

There's a lot in your post, but I'll answer the question.

Vehicle Inspections are pretty simple. I can't remember if there was an emissions test involved. It was mostly just safety related (brake lights, headlights, signals etc). They were annual. Most dealerships, quick lubes, and brake places will do them. All you do is drop off your car, and they will test while you wait. I wanna say I paid, like $20 bucks. My car was a beater, and I never had a problem passing.
  3. Senior Member
    Does your custody agreement say anything about where you can move to, or anything like that? Some stipulate that the primary custodian can't move more than X miles away. It sounds like he's just going to throw up his hands, but it's something to look into, just in case.

For car registration, what is your state of residency (not the same thing as home of record)? Generally, you can register your car in the state where you live, or in the state of residency (this would be where you file your state income taxes, generally). You'll have to research the states' registration systems to see which is more advantageous.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Regular Member
    My custody paperwork only states that I have to give notice if I want to move a certain amount of miles away (something like 150). Which is fine. I don't anticipate a big fight at this point. I'm just devastated for my kids.

Do you pay for car tabs yearly at all? My state of residency (born and raised) is WA. We pay yearly for tabs here.
  5. Regular Member
    And thanks for the quick responses!
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

The only question I can really solidly answer is about photos of the area because there really isn't much to see in Cove or Heights, Killeen and Hood etc. it's really nothing special. But my husband was born and raised Washington so the best description I got from him about it was "everything is so flat and brown here!"

Texas isn't mountainous at all like Washington and it certainly isn't green either all the cities are pretty typical small looking cities but it's just not THAT great to be honest... It's not much to look at! And Hood in my opinion is mostly just barracks buildings and offices and then miles and miles of flat lands.

7. Regular Member
    Yeah, that's the impression I've gotten too, lol. What a culture shock this will be for us....
  8. Regular Member
    Where in WA is your hubby from? I'm from South King County....
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyWife71 View Post
    Where in WA is your hubby from? I'm from South King County....
    He's from the Mount Vernon and Burlington area, Skagit county!

10. Senior Member
    Tabs are yearly. Can't think of any sites that would have pictures. I'll look in my personal collection later though and see what I've got.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast