Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keesler?

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Keesler?

Advertisements
    Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly!
    Just want more info! E-5, 2 kids, good schools. Interested in base housing for sure, or being very close to base.

No we don't have orders, we still have a year left here, we are just talking over options one is an instructor type gig at Kessler.
    I hate the heat and places that get bad storms sooo I'm nervous for this if we go through with it
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Do you mean KEESLER in Mississipi??

If so, hubby was there eons ago for tech school, but its a brand new base because it got pummeled by Katrina and rebuilt.
    so, everything on it is brand new. Can't say the schools are great, its MS after all..

If you hate the heat and storms, well then you will hate Keesler... Its hot and humid and sticky and hurricane alley.... (I went there in June/July and it was 90-100 degrees and like 95% humidity.. it was HORRIBLE)... hurricanes are common...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Do you mean KEESLER in Mississipi??

If so, hubby was there eons ago for tech school, but its a brand new base because it got pummeled by Katrina and rebuilt.
    so, everything on it is brand new. Can't say the schools are great, its MS after all..

If you hate the heat and storms, well then you will hate Keesler... Its hot and humid and sticky and hurricane alley.... (I went there in June/July and it was 90-100 degrees and like 95% humidity.. it was HORRIBLE)... hurricanes are common...
    Yes lol keesler, my auto correct says differently
    Dh was there for tech school too, I wanna say a year or two after Katrina? Maybe? I can deal with hurricanes for the most part, we got a few handfuls of them growing up in va. Plus we have family in tx we could get to if we wanna evacuate. (Though that's a 9 hour dr)
    Heats main reason I want to live on base. Being able to keep the house comfortable in the summer is important to me.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    it's hottest in July/August, and warm all year long. I think in winter it gets to like maybe 50/60 degrees... I can't remember.

Depending on where in TX, it may not be much of an evacuation... if its like Houston, well, might as well stay at Keesler during a hurricane

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    I'm born and raised in the area. I can't say anything about the schools because I went to private school my entire life, but I think coastal Mississippi is very different than upper Mississippi. It is hot and when we do get a hurricane it's pretty bad.

Happy_Momma just left here she could tell you about housing, they lived in housing but off base so to speak. And I think her name is Tazmine she was here too.
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    it's hottest in July/August, and warm all year long. I think in winter it gets to like maybe 50/60 degrees... I can't remember.

Depending on where in TX, it may not be much of an evacuation... if its like Houston, well, might as well stay at Keesler during a hurricane
    Just outside ft worth, in weatherford so depending which way it goes should be ok, otherwise your right better off waiting it out!
    I would be slightly excited to be near the beach and ocean again! Along with 8-9 hour drive to Disney/cruises would be amazing and cheap plane tickets (compared to what I'm use to now )
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by fallinstar View Post
    I'm born and raised in the area. I can't say anything about the schools because I went to private school my entire life, but I think coastal Mississippi is very different than upper Mississippi. It is hot and when we do get a hurricane it's pretty bad.

Happy_Momma just left here she could tell you about housing, they lived in housing but off base so to speak. And I think her name is Tazmine she was here too.

It was Tamzyn that was at Keesler.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post

It was Tamzyn that was at Keesler.

Yes, that's it sorry I shredded her name
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Don't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Just want more info! E-5, 2 kids, good schools. Interested in base housing for sure, or being very close to base.

No we don't have orders, we still have a year left here, we are just talking over options one is an instructor type gig at Kessler.
    I hate the heat and places that get bad storms sooo I'm nervous for this if we go through with it
    If you don't like the heat, Mississippi is NOT the place for you We arrived here in May and it is now October and it's still HOT. We are wearing shorts and short sleeves. We went to a pumpkin patch and were sweating! The heat and humidity are horrible. My kids were used to playing outside for 6 hours a day and they only stay outside for maybe 15 minutes in the summer, unless we are at the pool or splash pad. The beaches are disgusting. The water often has bacteria in it. There are no waves because of the barrier islands, it basically is like a hot, slimy, dirty lake type of water. You don't get pretty leaves in the fall. My kids love snow are already sad about the thought of a winter without snow. We are trying to make the best of it, but as far as nice weather and natural beauty-this place is a big thumbs down! On the other hand, there are a few nice things for kids to do (within 20 min. drive). It's easy to drive here and find your way around. There are some people that actually love it here, but I guess we are just not "southern" kind of people maybe? As far as base housing, you don't qualify for actually living on base. The housing for E-6 and below is actually off base and not guarded. The houses are new and big though. There are a lot of students living here as well, so if your husband is an instructor you may not be able to really hang out with some neighbors. Also, since there are a lot of students people are in and out a lot!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Jump for Joy OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post

So weird! We are at RAF Lakenheath (live in Brandon) now, and just got our assignment to Keesler for April of 2014! Small world
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast