Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Hood, wanna get know some of you :)

1. Regular Member

Fort Hood, wanna get know some of you :)

Advertisements
    I'm currently in California, moving to Fort Hood area in April/May (no exact plans yet because finances are tight). I'm incredibly new to a lot of aspects of Army life and was hoping to get to know some ladies near Fort Hood before I move out there.

Also, I have so many questions... I just don't know where to start! Any advice for a soon-to-be Army wife? lol
  2. Senior Member
    Hey I'm Hannah. What do you wanna know?

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  3. Senior Member
    Hi I'm Elizabeth
    I would be willing to answer any questions you have! What do you want to know?
  4. Regular Member
    Well, what are some good resources for learning the basics about the military? Like all the acronyms (lol) and family/spouse need-to-knows.
  5. Senior Member
    Army Acronyms and Abbreviations

Thats the best site I ever found for learning the acronyms, though my husband was my best source of information.

IF for some reason he needs to find reference for something, you can save the day by hitting these sites.

Administrative Army Electronic Publications - Department of the Army
    APD Home

As for spouse need-to-knows that comes down to a personal level that is pretty hard to nail down as concrete....
    There you go, bit of advice numero uno: Nothing in the Army is concrete. Expect change, contradictions and surprises.
    Now Fort Hood specific:
    *Noone here knows how to drive. Expect to be scared to death every time you leave the house for about the first 6 months.
    *This post deploys a lot and often with little warning. Speaking from personal experience the day my husband signed into his unit he found out he'd be deploying soon. When it came down to exact dates, we were given a week's notice.

That's all I can think of right now but I'm at work and distracted. I'll keep thinking though. Do you have any specific questions you've thought of or wanting me to go into more detail on what I've typed?

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost&faraway View Post
    the day my husband signed into his unit he found out he'd be deploying soon.
    Happened to DF too, though he was told some time in 2014.
    No specific questions yet. Been a busy day.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Army Acronyms and Abbreviations

Thats the best site I ever found for learning the acronyms, though my husband was my best source of information.

IF for some reason he needs to find reference for something, you can save the day by hitting these sites.

Administrative Army Electronic Publications - Department of the Army
    APD Home

As for spouse need-to-knows that comes down to a personal level that is pretty hard to nail down as concrete....
    There you go, bit of advice numero uno: Nothing in the Army is concrete. Expect change, contradictions and surprises.
    Now Fort Hood specific:
    *Noone here knows how to drive. Expect to be scared to death every time you leave the house for about the first 6 months.
    *This post deploys a lot and often with little warning. Speaking from personal experience the day my husband signed into his unit he found out he'd be deploying soon. When it came down to exact dates, we were given a week's notice.

That's all I can think of right now but I'm at work and distracted. I'll keep thinking though. Do you have any specific questions you've thought of or wanting me to go into more detail on what I've typed?

This is my Army life motto (and most people who have heard it tend to agree): "You never know what's going to happen until after it's happened, and even then you still aren't sure what happened."

I'm at the hood too
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CC22 View Post
    This is my Army life motto (and most people who have heard it tend to agree): "You never know what's going to happen until after it's happened, and even then you still aren't sure what happened."

I'm at the hood too

Ever heard the one, "It's the Army. Don't try to understand. You'll just hurt yourself" ?

― Rose Kennedy
  9. Regular Member
    So, I think I'll have more questions after I move in with him, because I just can't think of anything to ask even though I know I don't understand too much lol
  10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by CC22 View Post

I'm at the hood too
    Ever heard the one, "It's the Army. Don't try to understand. You'll just hurt yourself" ?

I love you Hannah's hahaha
    But those are so trueeee. Darn Army!

And layny, I'm Amanda, I'm in the Fort Hood area too (not technically on there but there I guess )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast