Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Hood Area...

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Fort Hood Area...

Advertisements
    Okay Fort Hood ladies, I know some of you are out there

I am potentially looking at moving into the Killeen area and looking for a job/apartment etc.

So any suggestions? Or what area would be better versus another? I have a 3 year old (well almost 3, she'll be 3 in less than 2 months) daughter that I have to keep in mind and all that too.

Just trying to get some ideas and what not and everyone on here usually comes through with good advice

2. Senior Member
    Dh was told to stay on the west side of 190.

3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    Dh was told to stay on the west side of 190.
    Hmmm.
    I'll have to look. DB was saying looking at Harker Heights which is on the outskirts but I haven't really been in that area.
    Usually if I come up there I go straight to post.

5. Senior Member
    Harker Heights is a better area then living right in Killeen. I live in Austin, but drive up there occasionally. What kind of experience do you have job wise?
    So close your eyes and sleep to dream. I'm by your side. No words to speak. We'll set our course and make it through. No matter how far, my heart remains with you.
    ~ Loving Army Girlfriend
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    Hmmm.
    I'll have to look. DB was saying looking at Harker Heights which is on the outskirts but I haven't really been in that area.
    Usually if I come up there I go straight to post.
    Harker Heights is a nice area but is a good 15 minutes from Base, and with traffic in the morning your DB might need to leave as much as 30 minutes early.

7. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryMGF View Post
    Harker Heights is a better area then living right in Killeen. I live in Austin, but drive up there occasionally. What kind of experience do you have job wise?
    Job wise, I have two things: call center and waitressing
    I mean that's not bad experience, the job I'm at now I've been here for about a year and 2 months and I just graduated with my degree in Business Admin in May so I have some experience under my belt I just have NO idea where to start looking or what I would qualify for.

Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    Harker Heights is a nice area but is a good 15 minutes from Base, and with traffic in the morning your DB might need to leave as much as 30 minutes early.
    Yeah that's what I was noticing too, I know it's nicer essentially and he is the one who suggested it so I'm assuming he'd be okay with the commute... Until he has to be up at 4 am or something for PT at 5

8. Senior Member
    If you just graduated you may want to apply with smaller companies first for the Business administration. They tend to be more open about hiring someone with a degree and minimal experience than larger companies. These are generally the places that will cross train you to do multiple tasks with in the office so that you can gain experience. That is what I did at first and I now run a small office, just me and one other person here, so knowing how to do everything is a big benefit!
    So close your eyes and sleep to dream. I'm by your side. No words to speak. We'll set our course and make it through. No matter how far, my heart remains with you.
    ~ Loving Army Girlfriend
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryMGF View Post
    If you just graduated you may want to apply with smaller companies first for the Business administration. They tend to be more open about hiring someone with a degree and minimal experience than larger companies. These are generally the places that will cross train you to do multiple tasks with in the office so that you can gain experience. That is what I did at first and I now run a small office, just me and one other person here, so knowing how to do everything is a big benefit!
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind.
    I've put in a few applications so far but I know I'm not going to hear anything like RIGHT away.
    Just gotta keep a positive attitude and start looking. The only thing that sucks is I'm in Austin too and I live in Georgetown.
    My work schedule is Monday-Friday from 9 am to 6 pm so I don't have much time to go to Killeen to look except for weekends.

10. Senior Member
    Just wanted to throw my two cents in here...

DH and I live right on the border of Heights and Killeen. I almost NEVER go into Killeen for anything unless it's for the mall or to eat somewhere. I have easy access to a grocery store and other shopping (the Market Heights area). I like it here. My rent is reasonable, cable is paid for, and it's a quiet neighborhood. We're actually about to resign our lease soon.