Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: el paso schools & small wedding venues

1. livestrong
    livestrong

Confused el paso schools & small wedding venues

Advertisements
    hi everyone,

we are looking to buy a house in El Paso, close to Biggs, but need some input on grade schools. SO is right now 20 min from work and that's good, but I want to make sure we will buy a house in a decent neighborhood, average to higher price. We are not looking for a $$ deal, more of "smaller house is better in a better neighborhood than bigger in lesser" know what I mean? The girls would be coming from a very sheltered, well to do school. He would rather stay on the East side of town, but I'm not really sure.

also - we plan on a small wedding ceremony around El Paso for about 30 people - any ideas? we would rather spend more on few people and really spoil our friends and family. Any ideas on this as well?

any input would be appreciated,

thank you so much.
    Livestrong... is all I can say.
  2. Senior Member
    I don't live there right now, but that's where DF is stationed and I've been down a few times. I personally think the west side is nicer as far as housing goes, but it is a farther drive to work. I really don't know of any complexes or anything because I haven't looked into any, but make sure you check out the area you will be in before you sign anything.

I don't know of any wedding venues really. A lot of the hotels there have ball rooms. The ones by the airport are really nice. My favorite in that area is the Radisson. I've stayed there, the Mariott next to it, and the Wyndham by the airport. The Radisson was by far my favorite. It would be convenient for guests also because of it's location to the airport. It's also not far from the main part of Fort Bliss.
  3. Senior Member
    The east side is what's closer to Biggs. When I lived on the west side, it took 30+ minutes to get there. Now that we live near Montwood Drive, it's only 15 minutes away, if that.

Try AHRN.com. You can google map the locations to determine how close to Biggs they are. Housing was honestly no help to us when we needed somewhere to go.
  4. livestrong
    livestrong
    Thank you both - I really have no idea what and were and such.
    DF is not considering the West side, but that's still up in the air. He wants to be close to work, I think he would have an aneurism if he was more than 20 min away - he won't admit it though, .
    We tossed the idea of living on base, just because next deployment is inevitable... but... idk... We do agree that we would rather buy a smaller house in a better neighborhood than bigger in shady. In the end we want good school for kids our kids and they are all in grade school/high school age.

We looked at some venues over the weekend for the wedding, I think we are set on the Cattleman's Steakhouse - we will have a lot of kids between 4-16 and people who will want a hefty meal. We want something to do for all the kids (about 14 kids, with 36 adults - see what I mean?). We are not doing a major wedding with huge list of guests - this will be second time for us both, it will be more of a closest friends and necessary family only.
    Do you know of any good restaurants that would be able to accommodate party under 50?
    Honestly, we are joking that we will just do it him and I and postpone the shindig till a few months down the road, but I know how that ends - the shindig never happens, lol.
    Livestrong... is all I can say.
  5. Senior Member
    I grew up in the Northeast, I liked it. Its also expanding and there's quite the military community there now.. there's always been a more military-like community but alot bigger now and I think its like a 15 -25 min drive to base.. and imo easier to get to than coming from the east side. It also was considered pretty safe side of town, and family-oriented.. my opinion.. Also pretty diverse and decent schools.. but I'm bias.

I got married at the Desert Botanical Garden which is nice if you like a simple outdoor wedding, I also looked at the el paso Zoo believe it or not and they cater as well. I believe there's some more information and photos and prices on those websites if interested.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Mesquite Hills is a really nice area, i don't think any of the houses are more than 5 years old. We actually have a house out there. Its about 10-15 minutes from Biggs I believe. However, there is not a whole lot out there, but traffic to work doesn't suck, and its only 10-15 minute drive to get to the east side Target and other nice areas. I believe its part of the ISelta school district if that helps.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Cattlemen's is nice and the food is good. I was just there for my business partner's birthday! Camino Royal hotel is nice too - downtown. Or, if you don't mind driving a little for your wedding, the "Double Eagle" in Mesilla is an old house that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

I would probably try and find a house on the East side because with traffic living on the west side can be a haul. DB works on Biggs and he lives sort of central / east. Still take him 25 minutes if there is no traffic.

How old are your kiddos? I have an 8 and a 6 year old.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hall in los angeles are very nice and best to enjoy. This venue is too good for gatherings and to create many parties or celebrations. This venue has well educated staff.

Los Angeles, CA Event Venues & Party Spaces | Eventup
  9. Senior Member