Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Fort Riley people?

1. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries

Any Fort Riley people?

Advertisements
    We are moving there in May from Germany and its really stressing me out. Mainly just where to live is my concern. My husband doesnt want to live in Manhattan because he wants to be close to post. I have browsed online and alot of places seem to have bad reviews. But anyway what are your likes and dislikes about the whole area?
  2. Senior Member
    I just left there. We lived on post. It was pretty good. I cant remember many good places in Junction City. Really anything decent was in Manhattan. I suggest PMing Jasonsgirl. She's still there and can help you more than I can unless you are looking for what to expect with on post housing.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  3. Banned
    Banned

Where were you looking at living? JC or Ogden?

We live in Manhattan, so my likes/dislikes might be a bit different.
  4. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    We were looking to live in JC or Ogden. My friend who just got there a week ago said that Ogden looked like a tornado went through it and no one bothered to fix up anything. I did see some townhouses there though called rivers trail or something trail. Those looked nice. I really liked Hunters Ridge apts in JC but they seemed to be strict about pets making noises and had alot of rules and wanted pet rent every month. I have a jack russell terrier and they are known to be barkers so that doesnt work for us. I liked Highland Ridge apts in Manhattan too but husband said no to anything in manhattan. I wish we could just live on post and not worry about this but when I emailed housing they said it was an 8 month wait. Do you know anything about Eagles landing townhomes in JC?

We love to go to the movies alot. How are the movie theaters in the area? Also is it hard to find even retail jobs in the area because of the college students?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 360Sweetie View Post
    We were looking to live in JC or Ogden. My friend who just got there a week ago said that Ogden looked like a tornado went through it and no one bothered to fix up anything. I did see some townhouses there though called rivers trail or something trail. Those looked nice. I really liked Hunters Ridge apts in JC but they seemed to be strict about pets making noises and had alot of rules and wanted pet rent every month. I have a jack russell terrier and they are known to be barkers so that doesnt work for us. I liked Highland Ridge apts in Manhattan too but husband said no to anything in manhattan. I wish we could just live on post and not worry about this but when I emailed housing they said it was an 8 month wait. Do you know anything about Eagles landing townhomes in JC?

We love to go to the movies alot. How are the movie theaters in the area? Also is it hard to find even retail jobs in the area because of the college students?

They told me 8 months too but we got in in 3 weeks. If you apply now for May they should start having stuff available since its prime PCS season.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  6. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    I hope we get that lucky and not have to wait for housing that long. I wanted to apply 2 weeks ago but my husband is away doing some course and he has to get the papers they need to be submitted with the application and I dont even know all the answers the application asks for. I know a brigade is deploying around when we get there so hopefully alot of people decide to move home for the deployment or alot of people PCS then since I know deployments just ended there which usually means alot of people should be moving so some housing opens up. I heard they are tearing down alot of the 2 bedrooms which is making the wait so long too.
  7. Senior Member
    I hope we get that lucky and not have to wait for housing that long. I wanted to apply 2 weeks ago but my husband is away doing some course and he has to get the papers they need to be submitted with the application and I dont even know all the answers the application asks for. I know a brigade is deploying around when we get there so hopefully alot of people decide to move home for the deployment or alot of people PCS then since I know deployments just ended there which usually means alot of people should be moving so some housing opens up. I heard they are tearing down alot of the 2 bedrooms which is making the wait so long too.
    I know which brigade your talking about too. It was my DH's last one. Usually people at Riley tend to move home during deployment since there is so little there. If you want help with the app I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

― Rose Kennedy
  8. Senior Member
    we just left ft riley last month. we lived in manhattan, and it only took about 10 minutes to get on post. if we were ever to go back, we'd live in manhattan again. it has more to offer than jc or ogden, and depending on where you live, its not far at all! we lived literally 10 mins or less to the ogden gate.

9. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost&faraway View Post
    I know which brigade your talking about too. It was my DH's last one. Usually people at Riley tend to move home during deployment since there is so little there. If you want help with the app I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
    We have done 2 deployments and I couldnt imagine moving home. Im there to stay.Thanks for the offer on the app. I am sure we will figure it out. I'll just make him do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by amandabcdefg View Post
    we just left ft riley last month. we lived in manhattan, and it only took about 10 minutes to get on post. if we were ever to go back, we'd live in manhattan again. it has more to offer than jc or ogden, and depending on where you live, its not far at all! we lived literally 10 mins or less to the ogden gate.
    Oh thats good to know. I told my husband that I heard its not that long to get to the gates but didnt have a clue how long it took after getting on post to get to where everyone works. I think my husband just got spoiled with us living on post here and this post is so tiny it only takes him 5mins or less to get to work.
  10. Senior Member
    We have done 2 deployments and I couldnt imagine moving home. Im there to stay.Thanks for the offer on the app. I am sure we will figure it out. I'll just make him do it all.

Same here.

― Rose Kennedy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast