Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Headed to Fort Bliss in January. Any info?

  1. Old Newbie
    ohemgeeitslizzie's Avatar
    ohemgeeitslizzie is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    West Point, New York
    Posts
    28
    #1

    Headed to Fort Bliss in January. Any info?

    Advertisements
    We're PCSing from West Point, NY to Fort Bliss in January. Can anyone give me general info? Px/commissary size? How is housing? What's the waitlist like? Etc.


    Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    KrystalD's Avatar
    KrystalD is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Fort Bliss, TX
    Posts
    812
    #2
    I've been here for a couple of months, but I live off post, so sorry I'm not very much help. From what I hear, the wait list for on post housing is over a year, so if possible, I'd suggest renting an apartment. There are a lot here. The px and commissary are actually really nice and good sized.

    Moxie and VicsPrincess (other users on MSOS) have been here for longer than I have, and may be able to give you more info. I met them in person a couple of weeks ago, and they're super nice.
  3. Senior Member
    MS234755's Avatar
    MS234755 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,493
    #3
    I'm at Bliss. The housing wait is almost a year, if not longer, so I would go to AHRN.com and try to get yourself a spot off-post. The post is HUGE. The commi and px are also rather large.
  4. The only people for me are the mad ones
    raerlovex3's Avatar
    raerlovex3 is offline
    The only people for me are the mad ones
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Army Wife :) me:Oklahoma him:Afghan
    Posts
    122
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ohemgeeitslizzie View Post
    We're PCSing from West Point, NY to Fort Bliss in January. Can anyone give me general info? Px/commissary size? How is housing? What's the waitlist like? Etc.


    Thanks!
    I called about a month ago and they said the wait list was about 6 months long. I COMPLETELY forgot to call back and put DH and I on a deployment hold! Gotta get on that on Monday! lol Anyway.... Bliss is HUGE. The commissary is really big and the PX is fairly big as well. There is tons to eat at the PX and make sure you go get yourself some Junga Juice! Its like Jamba Juice but way better! lol Some of the housing like right by the main gate is really crappy, but there is some really really nice housing on bliss. Idk what rank your DH is, but housing is broken up by rank. Every time I was at bliss I really enjoyed it, however, I DO NOT like el paso! lol It's just a really trashy city. But then again, DH didn't really take me to the nice areas of El Paso. All I saw was like the ghetto areas lol. Can't knock on it too much though because thats where all the bomb ass food is!
  5. Senior Member
    bellabbr's Avatar
    bellabbr is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    561
    #5
    I just got here a month ago. Like Krystal said housing list is over a yr, we live off post in the eastside. The px and commissary are pretty decent. There is a lot of place to eat on post. I was shocked. El Paso is not bad. There only store I haven't been able to find is Ikea. Anything else is here. The mall is awesome because it got coach, apple and gymboree. I couldn't be happier Seriously in terms of shopping and things to do you will be fine. My only complains about here so far is the weather (no humidity and so dry) when its windy all that sand is flying around. Also you wake up and its 40 degrees by noon you got to rip half your clothes off because its 80. That is a bit odd to me but so far so good. So don't be scared, its different but not that bad. If you need anything at all let me know
  6. Senior Member
    KrystalD's Avatar
    KrystalD is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Fort Bliss, TX
    Posts
    812
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by raerlovex3 View Post
    I called about a month ago and they said the wait list was about 6 months long. I COMPLETELY forgot to call back and put DH and I on a deployment hold! Gotta get on that on Monday! lol Anyway.... Bliss is HUGE. The commissary is really big and the PX is fairly big as well. There is tons to eat at the PX and make sure you go get yourself some Junga Juice! Its like Jamba Juice but way better! lol Some of the housing like right by the main gate is really crappy, but there is some really really nice housing on bliss. Idk what rank your DH is, but housing is broken up by rank. Every time I was at bliss I really enjoyed it, however, I DO NOT like el paso! lol It's just a really trashy city. But then again, DH didn't really take me to the nice areas of El Paso. All I saw was like the ghetto areas lol. Can't knock on it too much though because thats where all the bomb ass food is!
    I LOVE the food here!
  7. The only people for me are the mad ones
    raerlovex3's Avatar
    raerlovex3 is offline
    The only people for me are the mad ones
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Army Wife :) me:Oklahoma him:Afghan
    Posts
    122
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystalD View Post
    I LOVE the food here!

    mmmmhhmmmmm!! i definitely can not argue with that! DH took me to this taco place and I had to make him PROMISE me that he would NEVER take me there ever again because I ATE SOOOOO MANY TACOS!!! lol. I don't know what the hell they put in those tacos, but I swear they were made by the hand of God! They were sooooo delicious! I ate so many and got so full that I threw up! HAHAHA! which is like extremely embarassing to admit, but oh well! lol
  8. Senior Member
    KrystalD's Avatar
    KrystalD is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Fort Bliss, TX
    Posts
    812
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by raerlovex3 View Post
    mmmmhhmmmmm!! i definitely can not argue with that! DH took me to this taco place and I had to make him PROMISE me that he would NEVER take me there ever again because I ATE SOOOOO MANY TACOS!!! lol. I don't know what the hell they put in those tacos, but I swear they were made by the hand of God! They were sooooo delicious! I ate so many and got so full that I threw up! HAHAHA! which is like extremely embarassing to admit, but oh well! lol
    I MUST FIND THAT TACO PLACE! RIGHT... NOW!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •