Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Goodfellow AFB

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Goodfellow AFB

Advertisements
    Hi can anyone tell me about this base area? I heard the on base housing the 2 bdrm is horrible....any info would be great thanks
  2. Senior Member
    Went to goodfellow for tech school feel free to PM me any questions
  3. Senior Member
    oh i'm sorry. um San angelo isn't that bad relly. I lived in the dorms so idk about base housing
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    no prob thanks anyway
  5. Regular Member
    We just got to Goodfellow in May. We honestly like it, but we're from a smaller town than this so it really suits us. The town is quiet but, from our standpoint, there is still plenty to do and enough shops and restaurants to keep us happy.

As far as housing goes, we were really unimpressed with the entire process. When we moved, we had a 4 years and 9 months old son and a 4-week-old daughter. Because the oldest wasn't 5 yet, they wanted to put us in a 2-bedroom house...with our large dog and our cat. We figured we would tough it out and then get on the wait list for a bigger house once our son turned 5, but the wait ended up being LONG and they wouldn't put us on the waiting list until 60 days before our RNLT date. That's pretty standard, but they would NOT take into consideration that we were coming from a base that was SHUTTING down, we were being kicked off of that one, and we had early reporting authorized. So we weren't even put on the wait list until about 2 weeks before we got here. We ended up just buying a house.

The new housing is supposed to be really nice. I haven't seen the inside of the 2-bedrooms, but the outsides aren't very impressive. I've even seen some with window A/C as opposed to central...not sure how common that is in those houses. It is HOT here, A/C is an absolute must. Finding rentals in San Angelo is really weird; nobody seems to post anything online. So if you try and find an off base rental (and you will likely need one at least temporarily even if you do get on the base housing list) you'll need to use other avenues like a realtor or drive around town. It's seriously strange. We thought there were ZERO rentals here.

Hope that helps a little. Please let me know if you need anything!