Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Orleans, LA.

1. Senior Member

Question New Orleans, LA.

Advertisements
    Is anyone stationed at the Marine base there (headquarters battalion)? If so, how do you like it?

2. Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    My df and I are there (here lol) now!
  3. Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    My df is stationed at the coast guard sector right beside the base
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilinkgirl View Post
    My df is stationed at the coast guard sector right beside the base
    Oh ok We're looking at either Camp Lejeune or there in LA (according to the detailer). Any advice on the place?

5. Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    New Orleans is decent. There is still a lot of katrinia damage and traffic is pretty bad here as are the roads, the school system is awful,if you have children you best bet is charter schools. Crime is sky high, and the murder rate is the highest in the country.

My df and I bought a home in Slidell, it's a town across lake pontchartrain. It is beautiful here, there were 0 murders here last year, the schools are some of the best in the state, it's got a small town feel ( big yards, families, kids play in the street) rent and buying a home is cheaper, and the homes are bigger.

I absolutely love it here, when we first got orders I cred and cried but I never thought I would love it as much as I do. We have considered settling here after retirement.
    The city is close enough if we wanna go play, and far enough to keep the bad stuff away.

The drive for my df is long, abut 45 mins with no traffic, but it's worth it to us, and him.

I hope I helped a little bit, please ask me whatever you want I will answer as best I can
  6. Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    Oh and I was born and raised in va beach, spent a lot of time in n/c. Slidell is a lot like it.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilinkgirl View Post
    New Orleans is decent. There is still a lot of katrinia damage and traffic is pretty bad here as are the roads, the school system is awful,if you have children you best bet is charter schools. Crime is sky high, and the murder rate is the highest in the country.

My df and I bought a home in Slidell, it's a town across lake pontchartrain. It is beautiful here, there were 0 murders here last year, the schools are some of the best in the state, it's got a small town feel ( big yards, families, kids play in the street) rent and buying a home is cheaper, and the homes are bigger.

I absolutely love it here, when we first got orders I cred and cried but I never thought I would love it as much as I do. We have considered settling here after retirement.
    The city is close enough if we wanna go play, and far enough to keep the bad stuff away.

The drive for my df is long, abut 45 mins with no traffic, but it's worth it to us, and him.

I hope I helped a little bit, please ask me whatever you want I will answer as best I can
    for the info!! DH (who was born in Gretna) has a friend who lives in Slidell so that would be cool to move there. i'm big into living on base because of how everything you need is right there but this time i'm not so sure ..but of course we have to actually get these orders & then i'll worry about that but i really appreciate your info!!

8. Senior Member
    I was born and raised in the MS Gulf Coast/ New Orleans area. If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me !!!
  9. Senior Member
    well now i just found out we got verbal orders to the NSA there. my concern is DH is putting his recon package in so i could left alone for 1.5+ yrs so i want to live on base where i have everything i need but he wants to live in Slidell. IYO, what would be better??

10. Senior Member
    I live like a hour and a half right outside New Orleans, If you have any questions you can PM... I love it here.

AMarineLovesMe is my wifey 10/5/11
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast