Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fort Riley?

1. Senior Member

Fort Riley?

Advertisements
    Hi!!

just talked to DF () and he is 99% certain that he's going to Fort Riley, KS after graduation.... SOO anyone IN Ft Riley? He'd like more information about it... his parents were wondering if he's gonna need a vehicle (assuming they Army will fly him to KS right? so if he DID need a car we'd have to drive it out to him or he'd have to buy it while he was there...)

Soo I'll be doing a search and finding out some of my own information but I figured I'd ask around here and see if there were any ladies that I could talk to who were near there!!

TIA!
    I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

2. Senior Member
    my DF will be at riley when he comes back from deplyoment! i too am thinking the same thing! although it won't be for awhile that i will move it's still nice to know the area and ladies who live there!!! so no advice to give to you as i am in the same boat....
  3. Senior Member
    DF won't be there until like end of June-ish and I'm probably not gonna move down there for... a LONG time :'( but he called tonight and wanted some info on it... I figured I could get some info together and write him about it...

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DB is deployed now...and a couple months after he gets back he will be moving from Fort Campbell to Fort Riley (supposed to be in December sometime)! We are stoked cause it is close to home!
  5. Senior Member
    we're stationed at riley!
    Last edited by amandabcdefg; 05-02-2011 at 12:36 AM.
  6. Senior Member
    so what you're all saying is that I'm gonna have to wait for a little while before I can get info on what Ft. Riley is like? lol well... I'm headed to bed... I'll be back tomorrow morning to see any new replies....

7. Senior Member
    I'm here....for now. Feel free to ask anything. What I dont know I can easily find out.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  8. Senior Member
    what do you want to know about? i just moved with dh in december, but he got stationed here after grad and has been here since 08 lol
  9. Banned
    Banned
    More Ft. Riley ladies!!!

Yes, you will most likely need a car. Ft. Riley is in between Junction City and Manhatan. So if you need to go to Wal-Mart, video store, wherever, you are going to have to drive about 10-25 minutes depending on where you are coming from and where you are going.

They are doing lots of construction on post currently. Mainly they are building brand new barracks. The comm and PX are very nice. Lots of parks, and there is a lake, but I don't know if they opened it back up...

There are lots of round-abouts...so be prepared to learn how to use those if you don't already know how to use them. Also, since Manhattan is a college town...be prepared for idiotic drivers. I can let you know where all the spots that the MP's like to hang out and catch you with radar too. I've gotten pulled over a couple times. They are sneaky!

Infantry is up on the hill, and all the roads on Ft. Riley lead up to it.

As for the surrounding area, Manhattan is a college town, so jobs are pretty hard to come by since you have 23,000 students, plus highschoolers, plus working Army wives all competing for the same jobs. But, it is doable. You just have to work at it, and annoy the hell out of them until you get an interview/hired. The weather is typical Kansas weather...windy, and it can be hot one second, freezing the next.

Uhhh....what else...oh, KU sucks...KSU rocks. Mid January, mid August, mid March, and mid May are ridiculously nuts with students packing up for break/returning from break. We have a big St. Patricks Day celebration...we have an Orange Leaf...

Uhhhhhhh....don't let anybody tell you there is nothing to do but sit around and drink. Those people are just party poopers. There is plenty to do. We have a relatively nice mall in Manhattan, several golf courses in Manhattan/JC, a ton of restaurants, lots of hiking trails, Pillsbury Crossing and Scenic Outlook are nice. As is Manhattan Hill. Milford lake is also VERY close to Ft. Riley. Then there are tons of athletic events.

Overall, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Jason actually really likes it here.
  10. Senior Member
    awesome! thanks jasonsgirl! I'm going to look into grad school nearby ( I can get into one so I can be close to him!)... sounds like a really nice place overall...

so yes... he'll need a car... that's doable...

Does anyone know when he'll find out how long he's likely to be there? (I know it's never for sure until it's happened but thought I'd ask) I shall tell him some of this wonderful information and be back later if I come up with any other questions! thank you ladies!!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast