Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFW Area??

1. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!

Help DFW Area??

Advertisements
    Anyone care to share your thoughts on the DFW area? Crime, living, weather (especially weather ), etc? DH and I are considering looking at moving down to TX from MN, particularly in the DFW or north or east of there (we don't want to live much closer to the coast because I am terrified of tornados let alone hurricanes). TIA
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

2. Regular Member
    That's where I live. I love it here. I actually live in a bedroom community outside the metroplex right now but I've lived in both Dallas and Fort Worth and I prefer FW over Dallas. You want to avoid the east areas of both Dallas and FW.

Arlington is right in between Dallas and FW. Cowboys Stadium, The Ballpark, Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor and the University of Texas at Arlington all call Arlington home.

North Dallas is really growing fast, areas like Frisco, McKinney, Melissa are good areas.

The weather is great! We had a few days of snow earlier in the winter and everything shuts down, lol. We had a cold front come through earlier in the week and it was in the 60's. That's cold here.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Oh, and welcome to Texas!

I went back and read your post again...we do have tornados...in fact, there were 4 in the DFW (100 mile radius) area Sunday night =(
  3. Senior Member

I am from Ft. Worth. I agree east FW is bad, west is nice. I grew up near Keller, located northeast of FW, which is pretty nice and growing fast. The Texas Motor Speedway is in that area, too, if you like Nascar. There is NASJRB in the northwest area. The weather can be wacky at times but snow is not common but the summers can be very humid and hot.
  4. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Im from Fort Worth.

I grew up just south, and I really do mean JUST south, of Carswell. I also lived in North Richland Hills, Watauga, and Lewisville. Use to work in Bedford (Harley dealership) and Grapevine (Bass Pro). In my honest opinion, the Mid Cities area is a fucking awesome place to live. I still have family in North Richland Hills and on the west side of Fort Worth, so I try to visit often.

Since youre not a fan of twisters, I suggest staying away from the outside areas of the area, although they DO happen inside the metroplex as well. When I lived on the west side, I lived just inside loop 820 off of 30, south of White Settlement, and we had a TON of tornadoes just outside of the area. Freaked me the hell out, which is why I moved back up north. Never really had an issue with them in NRH though. My aunt and uncle have lived there for 18 or so years now, and have never had an issue with twisters. Hail is a different story though. Temp. wise, its warmer the closer in the city you go, which Im sure is that way in any major city though.

If you have any questions, you know how to reach me!!!! Ill try to get ya whatever info youre looking for.
    Women are not the weak, frail little flowers that they are advertised. There has never been anything invented yet, including war, that a man would enter into, that a woman wouldn't, too. --Will Rogers

Sometimes damaged goods are more valuable because of their unique qualities.

FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!
  5. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Ok bumping this cuz prospects are looking good again. We are looking at the Garland/Mesquite/Rowlette area. I know thats still kind of a broad area but those are some of the cities that we would look at living in. I've heard a lot of good things about Garland.

But I kind of have a few specific questions too-

Are there a lot of mesquitos?
    Do hurricanes come inland in that far a lot or just the far reaching effects of them?
    Are there a lot of flying bugs?
    Is it a lot of humid heat or dry heat in that area?
    Do flowers have issues growing (especially lilacs? raspberries?)

For health-
    Are there good hospitals nearby?
    Good chiropracters?
    Good nuerologists?
    Good physical therapy clinics?

Are there evangelical churches in the area? Are they large? Small?

TIA
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

6. jjr
    I am going to answer this as best as I can. I come from a small town north west of DFW.

Are there a lot of mesquitos? There can be...there was when I lived back home (i lived next to a pond). I think there is less in the cities since they spray for them. I am sure they are still there...they are like roaches...ugh.
    Do hurricanes come inland in that far a lot or just the far reaching effects of them? Just a lot of rain that I have seen in my lifetime
    Are there a lot of flying bugs? oh yeah...but then again your area may spray them down
    Is it a lot of humid heat or dry heat in that area? both
    Do flowers have issues growing (especially lilacs? raspberries?) We grew lilacs just fine...never tried raspberries.

For health-
    Are there good hospitals nearby? from what I hear yes
    Good chiropracters? I am sure you can find them
    Good nuerologists? with this too...but I am not sure..
    Good physical therapy clinics? I am not sure about your area but yes where I was from. I am sure you will find tons of them out there. DFW is a big area.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Not from DFW area at all...but...

Welcome to Texas!!
  8. Senior Member
    I live in Fort Worth, which is an awesome city. Its a small city with big city opportunities. Im not a huge Dallas fan...its very pretentious. The areas you listed are growing cities, outside the metroplex.

Weather sucks, unless you like to sweat. We have 2 seasons, summer and winter. Spring and Fall last between 2 and 3 weeks.

Tornadoes, we get them often. My neighborhood was hit last week. Dallas appears to get them more often than Fort Worth. No Hurricanes, just the rain. Its quite windy here, we get wind damage sometimes. Lots of hail storms in the spring, make sure to get a place with a garage, unless you want your car to have dents, like mine. Winter time we occassionally get ice storms, luckily things melt fast here.

Health, lots of medical places here. Obviously more in the actual cities. Allergies, everybody has allergies in texas, even if you never had them before. Flowers and trees do grow here, just have to water plenty. If you buy a house make sure it has a sprinkler system.

There is a Lot to do here though. Dallas is more cultural than Fort Worth but its not as cultured as other big cities. Schools are good here too if you have kids.

I know it sounds like i placed a lot of negatives but the positives outweigh them. Its a lot cheaper living here than other cities. I LOVE fort worth but I see myself moving because I cant deal with the heat. Most people say they would rather deal with the heat than cold snowy places...i guess its a preference thing.
    The road to success is always under construction.
  9. Jenny, Jenny Who Can I Turn To
    Jenny, Jenny Who Can I Turn To
    Born and raised in the Fort Worth area (Haltom City, Watauga, Hurst) Get to move back for a year when DH goes to Korea and can't wait!!! Garland is a nice place to live but parts of it has gone down hill quite a bit from when my aunt lived there.
    chicalelo, camandcmh, and Love_my_airmanNP are my Sister Wives
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyHeart View Post
    Ok bumping this cuz prospects are looking good again. We are looking at the Garland/Mesquite/Rowlette area. I know thats still kind of a broad area but those are some of the cities that we would look at living in. I've heard a lot of good things about Garland.

But I kind of have a few specific questions too-

Are there a lot of mesquitos?
    Do hurricanes come inland in that far a lot or just the far reaching effects of them?
    Are there a lot of flying bugs?
    Is it a lot of humid heat or dry heat in that area?
    Do flowers have issues growing (especially lilacs? raspberries?)

For health-
    Are there good hospitals nearby?
    Good chiropracters?
    Good nuerologists?
    Good physical therapy clinics?

Are there evangelical churches in the area? Are they large? Small?

TIA
    Mosquitos...yes, they can be a problem sometimes but most cities spray for them. If we're going to be spending a lot of time outside in the evening we always have citronella tiki torches lit and/or citronella candles and they leave us alone.

Hurricanes...only thing I can remember from hurricanes is just lots and lots of rain with the possibilty of tornados.

Flying bugs...oh ya. All the stinging ones such as wasp, bees, yellowjackets. I was stung by a bee ONCE when I picked up a coke can they were hanging out in so its not like they target you...lol. Grasshoppers, locusts, dragonflies, fireflies. I can't think of any others.

Some days I think it is really humid, other days not so much. This time of the year it has been pretty humid because we've had a lot of rain but when we get into the stretch of summer, it is a drier heat.

I always have flowers growing year round...never tried lilacs but I have all kinds of berries... black, raspberry and strawberry and they do great.

The one thing I hate about this area and I can't believe you haven't mentioned it ... SNAKES

Hospitals...Parkland is the county hospital and is known for its burn unit. There is Baylor and Presbyterian. If I lived in the North Dallas area I would probably choose anything connected with Baylor but that is just my preference.

As for neurological, chiropractic and PT, I've got nothing.

When I was living in that area I went to Prestonwood Baptist Church...its a lot bigger church now than when I went there but they do have some campuses which may be smaller. Look up PowerPoint with Jack Graham, he is the current pastor.

Hope this helps some.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast