Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Paying for Jewel Membership

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KrazyKatLady.'s Avatar
    KrazyKatLady. is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    3,090

    #1

    Paying for Jewel Membership

    Advertisements
    Is PayPal the only way?



  2. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #2
    I've noticed a lot of new jewels lately. Aside from a username change, are there really any other perks to being a jewel? Is it worth a membership?

    Sorry to thread-jack, but I've always been curious.




  3. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I've noticed a lot of new jewels lately. Aside from a username change, are there really any other perks to being a jewel? Is it worth a membership?

    Sorry to thread-jack, but I've always been curious.
    Here's the benefits -
    - Ability to close own topics in Venting Forum
    - Private Message inbox storage increased from 500 to 1,000 messages
    - Ability to use Private Message Tracking System
    - Ability to send up to 10 Private Messages at one time
    - Ability to upload Personal Profile Picture of up to 300x300 pixels
    - Jewel Membership special username color
    - Blinkie graphic under username with Jewel status
    - Signature size limit increase from 15 to 30 lines
    - Free Username Changes (limited to one change per month)
    - Access to Jewel members only forum The Gem


    It was I think only $20 for a year. I did Jewel after my ex broke up with me because this community had supported me so much throughout his deployment and the breakup, I wanted to give back to the website. Running forums costs money which a lot of time is paid out of pocket by administrators and whatnot, and I thought what better way to support a community that has become such a big part of my life.
    ~Becca~


  4. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,416
    Blog Entries
    1
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Here's the benefits -
    - Ability to close own topics in Venting Forum
    - Private Message inbox storage increased from 500 to 1,000 messages
    - Ability to use Private Message Tracking System
    - Ability to send up to 10 Private Messages at one time
    - Ability to upload Personal Profile Picture of up to 300x300 pixels
    - Jewel Membership special username color
    - Blinkie graphic under username with Jewel status
    - Signature size limit increase from 15 to 30 lines
    - Free Username Changes (limited to one change per month)
    - Access to Jewel members only forum The Gem


    It was I think only $20 for a year. I did Jewel after my ex broke up with me because this community had supported me so much throughout his deployment and the breakup, I wanted to give back to the website. Running forums costs money which a lot of time is paid out of pocket by administrators and whatnot, and I thought what better way to support a community that has become such a big part of my life.
    You do know the mods here make no money, and pay no money into this forum? A private owner owns this site that makes money off the adds of the page etc.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

  5. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    You do know the mods here make no money, and pay no money into this forum? A private owner owns this site that makes money off the adds of the page etc.
    Yes, that's why I said administrator and not mods. And I'm ok with them making money off ads, doesn't mean I still don't want to support the website.
    ~Becca~


  6. Occasional lurker
    Serpentine's Avatar
    Serpentine is offline
    Occasional lurker
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    12,968
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    You do know the mods here make no money, and pay no money into this forum? A private owner owns this site that makes money off the adds of the page etc.



    I'm not a fan of Neon or Princess...

  7. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I've noticed a lot of new jewels lately. Aside from a username change, are there really any other perks to being a jewel? Is it worth a membership?

    Sorry to thread-jack, but I've always been curious.
    IMO no I bought like a six month membership a couple years ago to change my username, I was all excited about the gem board but it's not very active. I don't really use PMs and have no interest in closing venting threads so there isn't much value for me.
  8. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Here's the benefits -
    - Ability to close own topics in Venting Forum
    - Private Message inbox storage increased from 500 to 1,000 messages
    - Ability to use Private Message Tracking System
    - Ability to send up to 10 Private Messages at one time
    - Ability to upload Personal Profile Picture of up to 300x300 pixels
    - Jewel Membership special username color
    - Blinkie graphic under username with Jewel status
    - Signature size limit increase from 15 to 30 lines
    - Free Username Changes (limited to one change per month)
    - Access to Jewel members only forum The Gem


    It was I think only $20 for a year. I did Jewel after my ex broke up with me because this community had supported me so much throughout his deployment and the breakup, I wanted to give back to the website. Running forums costs money which a lot of time is paid out of pocket by administrators and whatnot, and I thought what better way to support a community that has become such a big part of my life.
    I can understand that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    IMO no I bought like a six month membership a couple years ago to change my username, I was all excited about the gem board but it's not very active. I don't really use PMs and have no interest in closing venting threads so there isn't much value for me.
    This is where I'm at. The only benefits of becoming a Jewel that appeal to me are the username change (I don't particularly love my current one) and the Gem board. However, that just didn't seem like enough to warrant getting myself a membership. But, with as many Jewels as there are on the forum, I wasn't sure if there were any other perks I didn't know about.




  9. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    You do know the mods here make no money, and pay no money into this forum? A private owner owns this site that makes money off the adds of the page etc.
    Does that only work if I click them (which I never do), or every time they load on the page?




  10. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,784
    #10
    DO you guys donate to businesses if you really like their store or product? I know it feels personal, but this is a business for her, just like the local pet store or coffee shop. (And it isn't like tipping the employees, since the workers here don't get any of your donation).

    I am a member of a different site that is basically member-owned and we all contribute toward server costs, because it doesn't make money so we all pitch in to pay for it. I'm happy to do that. Here, where it is a business, I feel like my contribution is just being here, since these things make money in part based on traffic. I mean, I don't care if people want to give money to the board, or to Target or the local hardware store, but by just being here, you are helping her make money, so there's no need to also contribute just to feel like you are helping out.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •