Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staff Announcement - Discussing Former Members

1. Moderator

Exclamation Staff Announcement - Discussing Former Members

Advertisements
    Due to recent events and conversations with many members, in threads and in private, staff wants to take the opportunity to clarify a part of TOS, specifically the following:

14. Termination.

B. Once a member has their account closed or is permanently banned and their discussion thread closed, no discussion of that member is allowed.
    Talking about members with a closed account in a negative way is not allowed, as the act of closing your account is a choice and you're considered a member in good standing and can return. They can be mentioned and it's not infractable, but can't be maligned when the account is closed and they can't defend themselves.

Banned members can only be talked about in Boxing Ring threads, after the banned member announcement regarding them has closed, as TOS does not apply to Boxing Ring threads. Also, members who have closed their accounts may be discussed as long as it is not in a negative way. These are the only exceptions in the BR for discussing members without access.

That said, exceptions will be made when a banned member has direct and important impact on a current situation. This is an exception that staff wants to make so that members can express their feelings regarding a situation fully without the frustrations of being misunderstood because they have to be vague. It will also let members that may have remained close with a previously banned member know exactly what is going on and how it pertains to MSOS and so they can protect themselves how they see fit. The banned member will only be discussed in the context of how it pertains to a current situation and discussion of past actions of banned members will not be allowed.

Instances where this exception will be allowed should be very obvious and if you have any question as to whether or not you can discuss a banned member, please start a Private Channel with Staff thread here: http://www.militarysos.com/forum/private-channel-staff/ and staff will clarify if the situation warrants it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, staff would like to announce that we are moving the username change thread to the Gem so that will be located in a protected forum. If any non-Jewels need a new username due to TOS, please start a Private Channel thread to do so.
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You can't talk about members who close their account but you can mention them? Huh?

ETA: Jk. Saw the negative part.
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks for clarifying!

Not being able to stalk the name change thread is going to be so confusing but I understand and agree with the decision.
  5. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

6. Senior Member
    I have to buy a jewel if I'm confused as to someone is? Not a fan of that and I'm not sure why that would become a thing since anyone can buy one.

Thanks for the clarification on the rest.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The reason for moving the name change thread is so that it cannot be stalked by those that do not have an account. It's in The Gem as you must have a Gem membership to change your username, unless your username violates TOS.

You can always ask someone with a high post count and a familiar style by PM what their former username is - the reason for changing a username isn't to hide from anyone on this site but is typically a private issue.
  8. Senior Member
    Sounds good! I like that the name change thread is being moved.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    I have to buy a jewel if I'm confused as to someone is? Not a fan of that and I'm not sure why that would become a thing since anyone can buy one.

Thanks for the clarification on the rest.
    Just send them a PM, it's not a big deal.

I actually think that's a really good idea for cases where people might want to change their names to maintain irl anonymity.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast