Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Venting Forum Use

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Venting Forum Use

Advertisements
    This is coming purely from a member standpoint, no staff hat on or anything.... just something I have noticed recently and didn't want to thread jack someones personal thread with the question/discussion.

Recently there seems to be a different approach to venting threads going on and I am just interested in where its coming from, since its something I have not seen before. Someone will post a vent, sometimes over something small and sometimes over something major (for them).... and some of the responses are "why is it such a big deal," "get over it," and overall insinuate that the person is a big baby because they made a vent about it or they bugged them.

Granted, sometimes people are being big babies and need to get over it, but I guess what is "new" that I am seeing is that there seems to be some expectation that if its not an end-of-the-world situation, that people shouldn't be posting it. Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?
  2. Senior Member
    Just you
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I've totally noticed it! When I see someone post something like that I think " you came into a venting post... What did you think was gonna be posted?"
  4. Senior Member
    I've noticed it too. I thought I was just being sensitive but I've been posting a lot more in H&R than venting because of the tone venting threads seem to go in lately.
  5. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    I think that venting about anything is fine, but if isn't in H&R you're opening yourself up to any kind of responses. I think sometimes people are just trying to say don't sweat the small stuff, or at least that is the point I was trying to make in the other thread. It isn't "Omg you shouldn't have posted this!!!!" It's more like, "Hey, life's too short to stress. Move on. "

6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Sometimes somebody (myself included) need to hear that it's not a big deal. It helps me realize that I am overreacting and I shouldn't get worked up over it.

life's a party, rock your body
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think it's pretty normal for people to tell others to calm down if they're being dramatic about something minute. I don't think it's anything new.
  8. Senior Member
    No I see it too and it's annoying as fuck. The venting board is for just that. Most of the time when people use it, their state of mind is angry, irritated, upset, etc. If you don't think its a big deal, move on. There's no need to make someone feel small or insignificant by invalidating their feelings. It does and solves nothing.

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    is this seriously all because I said "no big deal" in another thread? Holy overkill. People can vent about whatever the heck they want to vent about, and other people can comment on how they see it. no big deal (RUT ROH)
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    I think that venting about anything is fine, but if isn't in H&R you're opening yourself up to any kind of responses. I think sometimes people are just trying to say don't sweat the small stuff, or at least that is the point I was trying to make in the other thread. It isn't "Omg you shouldn't have posted this!!!!" It's more like, "Hey, life's too short to stress. Move on. "
    Absolutely! I am by no means saying people shouldn't share their opinion, the exact reason HR was created was for those who don't want to hear it. I just have noticed an excess of the bolded in venting. I also think the underline is perfectly fine way to tell someone that, I just haven't seen it worded that way very often.
Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast