Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement regarding GIF and image usage

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post
    I may get annoying here, but just wondering if there's a way we can be linked to threads that received complaints. I'm looking for context.
    Not annoying, need to wait on input though. Since the reports did not violate TOS, I don't know that it would be wise to put the people that were reported out like that.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Not annoying, need to wait on input though. Since the reports did not violate TOS, I don't know that it would be wise to put the people that were reported out like that.
    But you said they weren't infracted, right?

ETA: Also, this seems to be a warning for possible future infractions. Examples would be nice so that those of us who ARE GIFers can avoid getting infracted.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    I never understand why everyone gets all "omg, this is ridiculous" when stuff like this is posted. If you're a nice person and don't post GIFs/IMGs to purposely hurt someone's feelings you are going to be fine. It's just a reminder to play nice.
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.

Whatever

Im confused as to what is "a bit much"... this is just an FYI about what we have been getting reports on, not an "ZOMG STOP ALL USE OF IMAGES OR ELSE YOU WILL BE BANNED" announcment...
    I think all the slaps on the wrists on an adult public forum is a bit much.

life's a party, rock your body
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    But you said they weren't infracted, right?

ETA: Also, this seems to be a warning for possible future infractions. Examples would be nice so that those of us who ARE GIFers can avoid getting infracted.
    They weren't, they did nothing wrong, and thats why I don't know that it would be a good idea to put them out there like that. I don't know how sharing the threads would help since none of them show what would be crossing the line/infraction worthy. However I do not make the call and once others get on, a majority will decide.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    I think all the slaps on the wrists on an adult public forum is a bit much.
    Is this coming off as wrist slapping? Not its intention at all, no one has done anything wrong, its an "FYI, this is a concern some of your fellow peeps are having, take what you want from it and go about your way."
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Is this coming off as wrist slapping? Not its intention at all, no one has done anything wrong, its an "FYI, this is a concern some of your fellow peeps are having, take what you want from it and go about your way."
    Snark-free: Oh okay, so it's like a town hall saying that making Jesus jokes can offend some people? There's no actual ramification or punishment that will happen, but some folks would probably appreciate it if you didn't do it anymore?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    A GIF that rolls your eyes at someone would be no different then using the smiley, not an issue.

A GIF like:

Would be a no go because calling someone an idiot when typing it out wouldn't be allowed.

We have received a large number of reports about the use of GIF's and just wanted to make the site aware that others were feeling upset by them. No one has crossed the line yet, we aren't dishing out infractions, just throwing out an FYI.
    I absolutely get why that gif wouldn't be okay, but (to my knowledge) no one has posted one like that. Like Luci said, I feel like the gifs go along with the thread, they don't just attack a member.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    I never understand why everyone gets all "omg, this is ridiculous" when stuff like this is posted. If you're a nice person and don't post GIFs/IMGs to purposely hurt someone's feelings you are going to be fine. It's just a reminder to play nice.
    Well aren't we all just a bunch of big meanie-pants..es.
  8. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Seems pretty straightforward to me. This isn't a no holds barred forum where members are free to flame and deliver caustic harangues. I don't get what's so difficult to understand. I mean, I enjoy no holds barred where anything goes, but this just ain't it and never will be. Plus, the vast majority, even some of the tough cool kids, would absolutely hate it if it truly were a free-for-all.
    Pax, Aeon
  9. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    GIFs weren't very common back when we joined. People were still snarky and there were quite a few heated discussions and topics, but no GIFs and there didn't seem to be much in the way of crossing the line. The rules were the same then as they are now. It really does come down to a matter of posting style. There's a new trend with using GIFs it seems. I'm far from nicey-nicey. I can be pretty snarky and dry or cold in my delivery, but I generally know where the draw the line for this forum. If I want to play where the "big kids" play, where anything goes, I know where to go.
    Pax, Aeon
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

We get reports periodically when a thread has the potential to get out of hand. Basically, heads up reports to watch the thread in case so it doesn't spiral. We have noticed that a lot of the reports like that recently have been because of threads that get GIF crazy.

So, this is just a heads up announcement, so that no one is under the impression that it's okay to post a GIF with a quote from a movie (for example) or a meme saying something that they would get them infracted if they said it themselves sans GIF. We see the potential for something like that to happen, especially when the GIFs really start flying, and we don't want to have to infract someone for something like that.

Believe it or not, we HATE handing out infractions to people. It's a super sucky part of the job.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast