Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement regarding GIF and image usage

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    If your posting a photo to be an ass towards someone, don't post it. If typing the words wouldn't fly, posting a picture isn't going to either. There is a BIG difference between posting to be funny, dry humor or not, and posting to put someone down.

That more direct?

2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    So should we stop with all dry humor whatsoever? I just...I don't know, this announcement is so vague and passive-aggressive that I can't make sense of what STAFF is saying. Could y'all please come out and say what you're trying to say in no uncertain terms? I can't really understand what the OP is announcing.
    You need to be more kind and:
    in your posting...

Not all:
    unless it's okay to put that as words in a post.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks Makes sense to me... gif parties can be comical, but I think when its in a thread bashing the OP, its pretty cruel and catty. Especially when there are people in a thread actually trying to help or give constructive advice.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    Thanks Makes sense to me... gif parties can be comical, but I think when its in a thread bashing the OP, its pretty cruel and catty. Especially when there are people in a thread actually trying to help or give constructive advice.
    Exactly... no one is trying to take away the beloved use of photos to bring humor and laughing to a thread. They can be very fun and humorous and no one wants to see them go. However when its at the expense of another person and directed to insult or offend them, no go. I agree that this place is supposed to be for mature adults and part of the problem is some people being a tad bit overly sensitive... its the reason action hasn't been taken against anyone in this regard. That being said, a mature adult should be able to get their point across without needing to use a picture that insults someone or puts them down... thats not mature, thats not being an adult, and it is not OK to do here.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I get what's being said... but I don't see the exact difference from GIFs and smilies.

Whats the difference between that infamous "chair" GIF and the "Oh snap" smiley?

Or an eyeroll GIF and typing out "OFFS"?

The GIF's that I've seen most used are in reference to the nature of the thread, and have been used to depict a majority of the boards' frustration. I haven't seen too many that are DIRECTED at the OP. But perhaps I just haven't been as observant.

I feel that GIFs are just a comical expression of annoyance, confusion, frustration, skeptical-ness, etc.. Is it the fact that they're funny that offend people? No snark intended, just trying to understand, because like I listed above, I don't see much of a different between GIFs and the smilies already on MSOS.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    You need to be more kind and:
    in your posting...

Not all:
    unless it's okay to put that as words in a post.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post
    I get what's being said... but I don't see the exact difference from GIFs and smilies.

Whats the difference between that infamous "chair" GIF and the "Oh snap" smiley?

The GIF's that I've seen most used are in reference to the nature of the thread, and have been used to depict a majority of the boards' frustration. I haven't seen too many that are DIRECTED at the OP. But perhaps I just haven't been as observant.

I feel that GIFs are just a comical expression of annoyance, confusion, frustration, skeptical-ness, etc.. Is it the fact that they're funny that offend people? No snark intended, just trying to understand, because like I listed above, I don't see much of a different between GIFs and the smilies already on MSOS.
    A GIF that rolls your eyes at someone would be no different then using the smiley, not an issue.

A GIF like:

Would be a no go because calling someone an idiot when typing it out wouldn't be allowed.

We have received a large number of reports about the use of GIF's and just wanted to make the site aware that others were feeling upset by them. No one has crossed the line yet, we aren't dishing out infractions, just throwing out an FYI.
  8. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post

This is what I was thinking.
    What is the difference between the eyeroll smiley and a gif of someone rolling their eyes?

IMO this is a bit much.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    A GIF that rolls your eyes at someone would be no different then using the smiley, not an issue.

A GIF like:

Would be a no go because calling someone an idiot when typing it out wouldn't be allowed.

We have received a large number of reports about the use of GIF's and just wanted to make the site aware that others were feeling upset by them. No one has crossed the line yet, we aren't dishing out infractions, just throwing out an FYI.
    I may get annoying here, but just wondering if there's a way we can be linked to threads that received complaints. I'm looking for context.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by SamInCT View Post
    This is what I was thinking.
    What is the difference between the eyeroll smiley and a gif of someone rolling their eyes?

IMO this is a bit much.
    Im confused as to what is "a bit much"... this is just an FYI about what we have been getting reports on, not an "ZOMG STOP ALL USE OF IMAGES OR ELSE YOU WILL BE BANNED" announcment...
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast